Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I have a gift card for Target for $100, along with the discount that is there at $50 and another gift card for $50 in my possession, I can get a 64GB wifi iPad for $500. This also with another discount using my Target REDCard.

I need a 64GB machine as my 32GB is basically out of room. The iPad is my main work machine, because it is the best unit for my workflow. I do occasionally use the family laptop when I need to do some "heavy lifting."

My question is simple, do you think it is worth it to get one at $500 if you had the opportunity? I know new ones are coming out in a month. To add onto this, too, I also have the logitech keyboard cover that fits with the current form factor and the smartcover, of course, a sleeve. My worry is by waiting for the new generation to come out that I would have to re accessorize it. With this purchase I don't have to.

Thoughts?

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
my guess is that the new iPad (full size not new mini) will come with the A7 and new fingerprint scanner. I think its going to be well worth getting new accessories and going with the new iPad. I have a feeling its going to be a substantial improvement over the current gen (cpu and gpu wise).

You could increase the resale value of your current iPad by selling it will all those accessories....

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Nope. Just wait about 1.5 months then you can get the new/redesigned iPad 5.
To make me buy one now the price would have to be too good to be true.....

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
My question is simple, do you think it is worth it to get one at $500 if you had the opportunity?
Worth is always highly subjective. You can't determine if it's worth it to you by polling people with random preferences and priorities that aren't necessarily relevant to you. If you can't decide then make your pros and cons list. If you still can't decided then assign weights. It's your call and you need to decide based on your own situation, needs, wants, etc.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
The 5 won't render the 4 obsolete. Not by a long shot. Plus, you might prefer the design of the 4 to the 5 given the wider bezel makes it easier to keep your fingers off the screen.

That said the iPad 5 is likely just over a month away.

I am not the one to give advice though as I needed an iPad and went with the 4 just a few weeks ago because I know I couldn't wait another 1-2 months.

Your situation is a bit different however and since you aren't WITHOUT an iPad, I would highly recommend waiting.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It is probable you will incur the cost for new accessories given some assumptions made about the 5 with its size and weight. Do you want to incur that cost as well? Are you going to sell what you have now as that would reduce your expense? But we do not totally know your plans.

Does what you have now bother you regarding its size and weight?

I say go for the 4 with 64gb now and see how you feel about it. It may be a pain to return it with the discounts you have but it should be doable, it would be Target's problem more or less but check on that just in case.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Hey everyone... Thank you for all your recommendations and mentions thus far. I did purchase it, but I haven't opened it yet. I am keeping my eye out for other discounts to see if they would price match, etc. I have 30 days before I have to return it.

In terms of the accessories. I would rather not have to purchase new ones again. I would have to purchase a new smartcover and keyboard if I did go this route of purchasing a generation 5 unit. I am planning on setting my iPad 4 - 32GB wifi only one in the neightborhood of $400-$450. It is in pristine condition. Like I said, I am just getting to the point of needing more space. This is my primary device.

The weight and side of it don't matter. I almost would rather prefer the thinker, even bezel all the way around as opposed to a thin one on the sides vs. a thicker one on top. It would be nice to dream and think about an A7X chip inside with performance and all. The finger sensor to me is a little bit more on the gimmicky side on my end of persoonal preference, it's not an issue for me.

So... it's $650 for a 64GB one at Target plus my discounts and not having to purchase new accessories. Or, again total guessing here, $700 for a generation 5 unit plus $40 for a new smartcover and another $70-100 in keyboard costs. Again, all speculation, but it is worth speculating about.

Oh, one more point. The reason that I purchased it now as opposed to waiting until the 5th generation is announced and released is because the area Target stores only had one unit left in stock TOTAL for this area! This is why I purchased it now, but still waiting to open it because of the reasons I mentioned above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.