Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I can see this coming into play with the Find My iPhone feature. Remember the article about it being refined to being able to find it's location down to the room in a building...?

----------

Innovation at Apple didn't start or end with Steve Jobs.

It hasn't ended, but it did start w jobs and woz.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I've often wondered why you can't tell Siri, "Remember where I parked".

One problem is that people often park in parking garages, and GPS doesn't work. This M7 chip might be able to keep track of motions quite precisely, and that way keep track of your position when you drive into the parking garage and lose GPS. I wonder if it is possible for this chip to figure out when engine vibrations stop, or if driving into a parking space creates a recognisable pattern. Parking in the open should be no problem.

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
I believe the real magic of this announcement is the M7 chip. The chip will also leverage iWatch for wearable computing and health related applications.

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
You're seriously missing the power of Touch ID that is going to be unlocked as soon as iCloud Keychain comes to iOS 7 (maybe with the Mavericks launch). Imagine going to any website that requires a password and tapping a button to auto-fill the password and just having to touch the fingerprint sensor to access your keychain. You could even log into third-party apps if they open up the API for an app to retrieve its specific credentials -- they just need to ensure that one app cannot impersonate another.

Touch ID is going to be indispensable in mobile phone usage. It will bring the power of 1Password to a smartphone with one-touch unlock. You will also see Touch ID on iPads and on MacBooks and possibly on Apple's stand-alone trackpad -- though there are some security issues with transmitting the fingerprint over wireless from the trackpad.

M7 is cool too, but Touch ID marketing is heavily muted right now because Apple is obviously making sure they can properly secure user passwords from the likes of the NSA in the wake of recent news (hence the delayed launch of iCloud Keychain).

Couldn't agree more. It seems like everyone thinks this is just a fancy way to unlock your phone and nothing more. Just wait until the iPhone stores all your credit cards and you can pay just by touching your thumb to the home button. And while some Android phones have NFC capabilities, the ease and security of the iPhone's payment system will literally revolutionize how people pay by credit card.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I set 2 or 3 alarms to wake up in the morning (a time I want to get up, the last minute that I have to be up by, and the "Oh no, I'm going to be late" alarm).

If the M7 could sense my phone moving and turn the other alarms off, I'd be a day 1 buyer of this phone for that convenience alone.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
True. But it's still part of why I'm in the Apple ecosysytem and not Android. Yes, they both collect information about us. (I would bet Google collects the most). Apple uses that information to give us a better experience. Google will also provide you key information to improve your experience, but they are also heavily leveraging that info for advertisments etc.

Disclosure: I am in both ecosystems along with Microsoft's. They all collect information about us. They are all trying to give a better user experience. Google just happens to be far more effective in leveraging that information for advertising revenue. Do you honestly think Apple would not want iAds to be a more viable product in their portfolio? The ascription of evil to Google and altruism to Apple should stop. *You didn't do it in your post. I'm just saying, as an overarching theme, it should be retired*

On topic: I wonder if the M7 will make it to the iPad mini. I'm considering a mini or Nexus 7 for my own Xmas gift to me. I would like to see what new tricks it brings to my daily 10 mile walk/read journey.

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
One problem is that people often park in parking garages, and GPS doesn't work. This M7 chip might be able to keep track of motions quite precisely, and that way keep track of your position when you drive into the parking garage and lose GPS. I wonder if it is possible for this chip to figure out when engine vibrations stop, or if driving into a parking space creates a recognisable pattern. Parking in the open should be no problem.

True, but there are many times when it would work fine. I look forward to see what Apple and developers will come up with.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
These are cool ideas and all, but if Apple was gong to implement them, why wait until now? None of these "new" functions are specific to the M7 chip, the M7 chip only relieves battery life (or strain on the processor).

I believe you answered your own question. Without the separate M7 to monitor/perform these functions, the main processor would be doing it and this would use more battery than the M7. So they implement when they have an efficient way to do it. Now, if iOS 7 enables this for all iPhones, then my theory is bumpkis!

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Disclosure: I am in both ecosystems along with Microsoft's. They all collect information about us. They are all trying to give a better user experience. Google just happens to be far more effective in leveraging that information for advertising revenue. Do you honestly think Apple would not want iAds to be a more viable product in their portfolio? The ascription of evil to Google and altruism to Apple should stop. *You didn't do it in your post. I'm just saying, as an overarching theme, it should be retired*

On topic: I wonder if the M7 will make it to the iPad mini. I'm considering a mini or Nexus 7 for my own Xmas gift to me. I would like to see what new tricks it brings to my daily 10 mile walk/read journey.

I hear you, but thats a more difficult sell because Apple make actual stuff and sell it. THAT is their business model. Google's entire business model is harvesting information for the purpose of generating higher advertising revenues.

I'm not saying that Google don't have some smart people who do work. I'm just someone who isn't fussy on their business model.

paulsquyres

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
What has Apple Learned from the M7 Chip ?

It would seem that Apple, while developing the rumored iWatch, has learned a thing or two about efficiency. Hence, adopting the M7 processor into the new iPhone 5S. I would bet that the rumored iWatch would contain this M7 chip, or a variation of it to help combat the rumored ill-fated battery life.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Remember the days when the news wasn't all about the iPhone. Sigh.

Hopefully we'll hear something about new Macs and MBPs soon.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
I've often wondered why you can't tell Siri, "Remember where I parked".

I don't yet have a Siri-capable iPhone, can you tell Siri to drop a pin at the current location or something along those lines? Perhaps with the M7 now, your request will be fulfilled soon-ish?

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
With this level of technology integration, there's no reason why Apple can't have the superior mapping app in a few years, providing they sink the resources into it.

For now though, I'll continue to use Google.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
At what point in this article did something revolutionary occur? Let me sum up the point:

Now, your phone can do exactly what it was capable before, but we believe now this processor will make it more 'efficient'.

How much more efficient, exactly?

Wow! The phone now can tell if I am running or driving?! There's no way any other fitness app could differentiate me between running at 65 miles per hour or if I was driving. :rolleyes:

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
This is great but you know what would be better? If my iPhone detects that I'm driving and it automatically launches my favorite music app, goes into power saver mode, and audibly reads back my text messages (or at least sends an auto-reply).

Re: iWatch. Does the M7 make it DOA now :confused:. I mean I honestly would rather just use my phone instead of another device. This is coming from a Jawbone UP user.

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
Mail messages

It would be great if this M7 chip could somehow be used to deal with the issue of no cellular signal and multiple 'cannot get mail' popup messages. So freaking annoying.

Why can't we have an 'offline' button for mail? Yes, I know I am on the subway, yes, I know there's no cell signal here. But why penalize me with multiple 'can't get mail' popups for each account?

Seriously.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
This will be a great feature on the iPhone 6 and it's much larger and higher res screen will show off the M7 to its full potential.

Less than six months to go already!

Sorted!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I can see this coming into play with the Find My iPhone feature. Remember the article about it being refined to being able to find it's location down to the room in a building...?

----------

Innovation at Apple didn't start or end with Steve Jobs.

Guess you missed the /s.

paulsquyres

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
The M7 will be critical to the iWatch. Just wait.

Yes! I agree. And it's probably a good test as well to see how well the iPhone 5S's M7 chip is used in the real world once it is released into the wild. I believe it is definitely something (the M7 chip) that Apple has learned from developing the iWatch that they figured would be useful in the iPhone 5S.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
M7 knows when you're walking, running, or even driving. For example, Maps switches from driving to walking turn-by-turn navigation if, say, you park and continue on foot. Since M7 can tell when you're in a moving vehicle, iPhone 5s won't ask you to join Wi-Fi networks you pass by. And if your phone hasn't moved for a while, like when you're asleep, M7 reduces network pinging to spare your battery.
This is impressive.
Already? lol

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Like the part about not joining wi-fi networks when you drive by. That happens on my iphone a lot when driving home. I'll stop at a light and try to do something real quick and my phone has joined a really weak network (optimum usually, they cover most of my ride home but poorly...) and it takes longer to do then if I just used my cell data.

So turn on "Ask to Join Networks" in wi-fi settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.