Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft is now accepting trade-ins for Apple iPads at its retail stores. The promotion sees Microsoft giving gift cards worth at least $200 for the iPad 2 and newer, meaning purchasers need only spend $149 to get an entry-level Microsoft Surface RT tablet.

msipad.png
How to redeem this offer

- Bring in your gently used iPad 2, 3, or 4 and get a minimum of a $200 gift card to the Microsoft store.

- Looking to upgrade your tablet? Check out the Surface RT or Surface Pro.
The offer is valid until October 27, 2013 at Microsoft Retail Stores in the U.S. and Canada, with a limit of one per customer.

Microsoft has been aggressively trying to compete with Apple in the tablet market in recent months; Microsoft has run a number of anti-iPad television advertisements in addition to a recent price cut to its tablets.

Article Link: Microsoft Retail Stores Offering at Least $200 for iPad Trade-In

MordechaiCarver

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
Denver, CO
For a company that is a direct competitor to Apple, this is a great way for them to get cheap iPads for their employees! :D

In all seriousness, what do they do with the iPads they get (like anyone's going to trade in an iPad for a Surface...)?

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
... Microsoft has run a number of anti-iPad television advertisements in addition to a recent price cut to its tablets....

So, er... how's that working out then?

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
"Use towards the purchase of a Surface or other cool products at the Microsoft store"

No thanks. Great idea, but I won't be biting.

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Microsoft will then turn around and eBay the iPads for double that. That's the only way the MS store will ever make any money :D

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Makes sense considering they're about to announce the surface 2. So I guess they're just dumping their old stock...

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Surface won't actually be available until October 27 :)

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
For a company that is a direct competitor to Apple, this is a great way for them to get cheap iPads for their employees! :D

In all seriousness, what do they do with the iPads they get (like anyone's going to trade in an iPad for a Surface...)?

It's not about what they are going to do with the ipads, it's about getting their products out to the market. I'd be willing to bet there are people out there who aren't thrilled that the iPad has gained absolutely zero additional functionality since the iPad 2. The functionality it gained over the original iPad were cameras.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
It's not about what they are going to do with the ipads, it's about getting their products out to the market. I'd be willing to bet there are people out there who aren't thrilled that the iPad has gained absolutely zero additional functionality since the iPad 2. The functionality it gained over the original iPad were cameras.

Does a car get any additional functionality every new model year? It does the same thing...get you to and from a place. Only engines, look, bells and whistles get upgraded really.

You're logic is really really bad.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown

Comments like this are a great example of how someone with not much understanding of practically anything can say something @#^% and think they have contributed in an intelligent manner by using the classic "I am willing to bet...."

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011

What more do you want it to do? It's been getting better upgrades since, for the hardware and software.... do you want it to wipe you when you go to the toilet?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Does a car get any additional functionality every new model year? It does the same thing...get you to and from a place. Only engines, look, bells and whistles get upgraded really.

You're logic is really really bad.

1) Most people don't buy a car every year
2) We aren't talking about cars

My logic would makes more sense if you knew the above. ;) and you'd know the above if you weren't a die hard apple enthusiast. Ice cream bars don't gain functionality either yet we buy more than one a year, most of us. But again, we aren't talking about ice cream either. I would suggest you learn a bit of logic before pretending to be an expert on the subject.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011

The only thing that holds me back from trying the surface is the lack of LTE connection and battery life. Its a little more bulky, but being able to install normal programs I have to use daily is a big plus.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
What are they doing with them at Microsoft? Using them for batting practice? Using them for toilet seats? Skeet shooting?

They are probably putting viruses on them and selling them on the black market, as a vicious ploy to ruin Apple's market share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.