Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I've always been excited for the upcoming iPads. But I'm one of those people that is not sure where an iPad will fit in their life. I get more comfort out of doing most of these things on my laptop. So I'm up in the air on getting one at the moment.

But now seeing the new iPhone, it makes me more pumped for it. Since we know where the iPad is going hardware-wise.

I've been looking forward to an iPad Mini-style full-size iPad since last year. Should be an interesting October.

guyjol

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I've always been excited for the upcoming iPads. But I'm one of those people that is not sure where an iPad will fit in their life. I get more comfort out of doing most of these things on my laptop. So I'm up in the air on getting one at the moment.

But now seeing the new iPhone, it makes me more pumped for it. Since we know where the iPad is going hardware-wise.

I've been looking forward to an iPad Mini-style full-size iPad since last year. Should be an interesting October.

October can't come soon enough! I'm really looking forward to see what changes they will bring to the Ipad / Ipad mini.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
October can't come soon enough! I'm really looking forward to see what changes they will bring to the Ipad / Ipad mini.

I think we can still be surprised. The 64-bit A7 chip in the iPhone was a minor surprise. But we don't know all that much about the new iPads.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
This new iPad should be amazingly fast . We should get a better idea of what we are looking after the iphone 5s benchmarks are released

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
I'm dying for the 5! I've still got a 64GB ATT iPad 2 and I want to get a 128GB Sprint iPad 5. I love the design of the mini, but it's too small for me. But to have the full size one look just like the mini? I've already got the money waiting!

For the OP: my wife was the same way, and now she never puts her iPad down. It's one of those products that you have no idea how much you'll use it, and what those uses will be, until you have it.

I use mine constantly. I travel alot, so mine has become: e-reader (books), e-reader (Fortune and Money magazine), note taker (everything in Notability), media consumption (5 seasons of TV shows and about a dozen movies, HBOgo), news source (Zite, USA Today, CNBC), banking tool on the go (Chase, Citi), web browsing, boredom (Candy Crush).

I no longer buy physical books and have dozens, literally, at my fingertips at all times. I no longer have to pack up my magazines. I don't carry ink pens or paper. I have TONS of tv/movie viewing options. I'm typing this now on my 15 inch MBP, but this is my "sit down, do my budget, research stocks, type long emails, etc" machine and my iPad is my lifeline when I'm away from home or when I don't feel like having a laptop in my lap in bed. Plus the battery life is insane. I charge it only every few days with heavy usage.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I was going to jump on the iPad 5 regardless this cycle as my 1st gen. iPad has seen better days. I'm stoked about the fingerprint ID and the smaller case. I only wish it would have been released alongside the new iPhones as the wait is now killing me LOL!

Yell0w

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
I was going to jump on the iPad 5 regardless this cycle as my 1st gen. iPad has seen better days. I'm stoked about the fingerprint ID and the smaller case. I only wish it would have been released alongside the new iPhones as the wait is now killing me LOL!

Lol, I feel your pain. Like a month left right? It should hopefully be released by October right? Can't wait to get my hands on a iPad for my own usage instead of sharing one with the rest of the family...

redmamoth

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
For the first time in a long time, YES! Massively excited.

I'm currently on an iPad2 16GB 3G, bought at launch and still going strong. When the 3 came out, I loved the retina display but didn't like the extra thickness/weight, so I skipped. When the 4th gen came, I was tempted, but it still looked like my 2...

This time, if all the leaks are true, day 1 purchase! I don't use the 3G so that will be going in favour of more gee bee's. I'm hoping it's 32/64/128, in which case I'll go for 64.

Really looking forward to October!

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I sold my iPad 2 a couple months ago, hoping a new one would drop this fall. I am hoping the iPad mini is a little more up to date this time around. I'd like to see a mini with the same treatment the iPhone 5S is getting.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
The thing about the iPad it already has adequate screen size options. I have the iPad 4, for example, and the screen size and the usability of the device are better than I expected. With the iPad 5, we can pretty much assume it will be a complete redesign with a smaller form factor for the same screen size, and less weight while incorporating a powerful 64 bit processor. So it's like the iPad 5 is getting the treatment I would of hoped for the iPhone 5S (but never expected).

I'm tempted to get the iPad 5 and give my iPad 4 to my 5 year old son. He'd probably do better with an iPad Mini 2, but he'd enjoy the full sized iPad all the same. It's inevitable he'll get some form of an iPad, so that might be an excuse for me to upgrade. Only issue would be, I'd want a compatible logitech keyboard, and I'm sure that will take a few months to develop, but I'd be happy to wait.

It would be crazy if they managed to further increase the battery life of the iPad as well with this iteration (although I doubt that will happen). It would be really nice if they can make is charge quicker though.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I'm dying for the 5! I've still got a 64GB ATT iPad 2 and I want to get a 128GB Sprint iPad 5. I love the design of the mini, but it's too small for me. But to have the full size one look just like the mini? I've already got the money waiting!

For the OP: my wife was the same way, and now she never puts her iPad down. It's one of those products that you have no idea how much you'll use it, and what those uses will be, until you have it.

I use mine constantly. I travel alot, so mine has become: e-reader (books), e-reader (Fortune and Money magazine), note taker (everything in Notability), media consumption (5 seasons of TV shows and about a dozen movies, HBOgo), news source (Zite, USA Today, CNBC), banking tool on the go (Chase, Citi), web browsing, boredom (Candy Crush).

I no longer buy physical books and have dozens, literally, at my fingertips at all times. I no longer have to pack up my magazines. I don't carry ink pens or paper. I have TONS of tv/movie viewing options. I'm typing this now on my 15 inch MBP, but this is my "sit down, do my budget, research stocks, type long emails, etc" machine and my iPad is my lifeline when I'm away from home or when I don't feel like having a laptop in my lap in bed. Plus the battery life is insane. I charge it only every few days with heavy usage.

I hear you. I read screenplays all the time in PDF format, so an iPad would be great in that aspect. And I can see some other ways in which it would be useful for me.

I'm looking forward to the new iPads regardless of whether or not I get one.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
It would be really nice if they can make is charge quicker though.

And/or have wireless charging capabilities.

Is it just me or did there seem to be much more hype and press for the new iPhones than there is for the new iPad? I understand the iPhones have a broader market but perhaps it is because of a lack of inside info?

Being in the middle of my 2 year iPhone contract I won't be getting the 5s but sure am excited for the new iPad.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
And/or have wireless charging capabilities.

Is it just me or did there seem to be much more hype and press for the new iPhones than there is for the new iPad? I understand the iPhones have a broader market but perhaps it is because of a lack of inside info?

Being in the middle of my 2 year iPhone contract I won't be getting the 5s but sure am excited for the new iPad.

iPhones always get more hype than the iPad. But yeah, not much is really known on the new iPads. But I'm sure when Apple announces them, there will be plenty of buzz.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Since I was never in the market for an iPhone, and I'm still not after the announcement event, I've been more interested in the iPads since I decided to wait on the new models instead of buying the ones out now 10 months into a year long cycle..

I'm 95% sure I'll get a new Mini regardless of the upgrades, but I'm interested to see the new slimmer and hopefully lighter 5.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC

Feel your pain. I'm in the same boat though I'm an educator and not in business. My iPad is my life link and I carry it EVERYWHERE. Can't wait for the 5!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.