Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I am going to assume that everything is working right and its just slowing down to the weakest/slowest link.

I have owned many of the G4 and C2D mini's in the past.
Found a rather nice deal on craigslist for a used in the box 2011 i5 mini for $200.
It came with the 500gb sata3 drive and the negotiated speed was sata3 600
I decided to ebay purchase a second drive cable kit and use a WD 640gb sata2 drive I pulled out of a previous mac I owned.

Now the negotiated speed reflects sata 2 speeds on both drives/channels

I am assuming that is correct and not a cable issue, its not like sata2 or sata3 matter with spinner mechanical drives as I will be lucky to see 200

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
SATA II and SATA III drives are backwards compatable, so there is nothing wrong. It will operate at the slowest speed between the drive and computer interface. It is unusual if both drives are indicating SATA II speeds because they are independent of each other. It really doesn't matter with hard drives because a SATA II is plenty fast.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Thank you, that is what I figured, Was first thinking i may have had a bad second drive cable.
I am surprised they have not separated each channel from master/slave over all these years later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.