Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The fourth installment in Disney's Where's My Water? series has launched on the App Store. Unlike the last two apps -- Where's My Perry? and Where's My Mickey? -- Where's My Water? 2 is a proper sequel featuring Swampy, the alligator from the original game.

The game uses an in-app purchase free-to-play mechanism across 100 new levels, a new challenge mode, and more. The original game was very positively reviewed when it was first released and all three editions have been incredibly popular.

wheresmywater2.jpg
Get ready to join Swampy, Allie, and Cranky on their NEXT exciting adventure!

The sequel to the most addicting physics-based puzzler from Disney has finally arrived. Where's My Water? 2 launches with three brand new locations including the Sewer, the Soap Factory, the Beach. Best of all, the puzzles are all free! Cut through dirt, and guide fresh water, purple water, and steam to help Swampy and his friends!

Key Features:

- Play 100+ levels and challenges with a brand new look in the Gator universe featuring Swampy, Allie, Cranky, and Mystery Duck!
- Introducing 'Challenge Modes' to replay the levels in explosive new ways!
- Dig as fast as you can and get as many duckies as possible in 'Duck Rush' levels!
- 'Tri-ducking' is now faster, better and more fun with boosts, such as Vacuum, Dropper, and Absorber! Small fees may be required for these additional boosts.
- Connect through Facebook and see if you can beat your pals on the adventure!
- Experience fun mechanics that are uniquely designed for each character!
- Complete achievements and earn special themed duckies such as gladiator-duckie, astronaut-duckie, hula-duckie, and many more!
- Stuck on a level? Use hints to help you solve the puzzles!
The in-app purchases allow users to buy 'energy' which slowly drains during play, hints on how to complete levels, and various power-ups.

Where's My Water 2 is a free download for the iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Free-to-Play 'Where's My Water? 2' Debuts on the App Store

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Don't worry, they'll charge you up the wazoo if you actually want to complete this game.

To make it worse, I started it up for the first time just a few minutes ago. There is a popup saying that there is in-app purchases, as the FIRST thing you see in the game...

It also says you can disable iAPs, but it's too long so it doesn't actually show up...

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
In-app purchases killed mobile gaming for me. I just don't have any desire to play games on my phone anymore because they all feel like Facebook-style games.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
I can't stand applications with IAP, i don't care if it's free to download but expensive to actually use, just charge me a certain amount of money to download and use the app to it's full potential.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
California
They might as well charge $10 for the app for all the in-app purchases we'll end up getting through this game...thanks Disney, but I'm going to pass on this one.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
In-app purchases killed mobile gaming for me. I just don't have any desire to play games on my phone anymore because they all feel like Facebook-style games.

Agreed. When I got my first iPhone there were lots of good quality games with uncompromised gameplay for reasonable prices - Now it's free games that try and leech ridiculous amounts of money from you while you're playing.

IAPs in themselves aren't bad IMO, if they're used correctly. Paying a few dollars for something like an extra chapter, an extra map or special weapon is perfectly fine. What's not fine is when they charge you for "coins" or "gems" that get used up in 2 seconds, at which point the game badgers you to buy more! And they're really cheeky with the prices too - if you want to get a decent amount (of virtual currency) you'll have to spend up into the double digits, easily.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
The way things are going it won't be long before all games are like this. I can imagine myself in the not too distant future saying something like "Gather round young'uns and I will tell you a tail about a time when we paid for games up front and they were free to play after that; forever' :D

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
When I see that In-App-Purchases are needed in a game I don't even bother downloading it. Pass.

IAPs are not needed in this game but they are there as a tempter to fleece those who are impatient while waiting for lives to respawn (at a not unreasonable 3 minute interval, unlike candy crush saga's 30 minutes!) or those struggling with levels who want to buy the special powerups.... you earn powerups as you progress anyway so you don't even _have_ to spend cash to get those in the game.

I've been playing it for a couple of hours now on and off and have spent not a penny.... not spending hasn't hampered my experience in any way.

I actually think the IAP warning on first launch is vaguely responsible as it emphasises that the IAPs cost real actual cash and recommends turning them off if you don't want them.... they could have just not mentioned it.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I find that with in app purchases like these, it just makes me forget about the game. If I pay for a game, I play it and play it and play it until I 100% wrap it but when there is this trickery trying to get me to wait a set time or spend real money to continue, then I end up waiting and pick up something else.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I don't have a problem with IAP if the option is "Buy Full Game" and unlock everything for one price. This constant energy draining nonsense is just the worst.

Canadian32

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
* Free Energy Bar Refills *

If you don't like freemium games and want to show your displeasure to the developers of this game, simply don't pay for energy bar refills.

All you have to do to get a FREE energy bar refill is simply change your clock ahead a few hours in the Settings app (Settings > General > Date & Time). Do this every time you want an energy bar refill.

Done. It's that easy. Go ahead and enjoy the game! :)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
If you don't like freemium games and want to show your displeasure to the developers of this game, simply don't pay for energy bar refills.

All you have to do to get a FREE energy bar refill is simply change your clock ahead a few hours in the Settings app (Settings > General > Date & Time). Do this every time you want an energy bar refill.

Done. It's that easy. Go ahead and enjoy the game! :)

This made me think that those of us who don't like this system (but do like the cgame) should protest thus issue by sending an energy bar to Disney. Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.