Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Is it possible? Has anyone done this and not regretted it? I know the current Mini's geekbench surpasses the 2010 Quad MP's so that got me thinking. I never really use my MP to its full potential. I would say 95% of the time is spent internet browsing, email, itunes. I went to college for multimedia, but graduated 7 years ago and don't work in the field like I wish I could. My dayjob is something else. I got my refurb 2010 Quad Mac Pro last year to practice using photoshop and final cut, hoping to get a new job eventually, but rarely open those programs due to time and just life getting in the way. When I do try to practice or play around, I feel extremely rusty and lost. Its seems like a waste for me to have this machine, but can't decide on whether I should sell it now while it's still worth a good penny before the new ones come out or just keep it? Do you think I could get away with some photoshop playing and final cut pro work on a maxed out Mac Mini? How would it perform compared to my 2010 MP quad? The biggest downside is the graphics, but if I add 16GB of memory I should be good for most things right?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The biggest pro of the pro was the ability to house 3,5 inch drives, not the graphics. But with the coming of age of SSD's, it is not as important any more, even though my old Pro with fresh Seagate Barracuda 3TB still is a real beast and does not sit much behind the Samsung 830 in my new mini. Especially with huge files it is an extraordinary performer.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
The mini pack a real punch. I think a few people would be surprised if they took the Pepsi challenge on the two.

redmarble

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
I have both, and for convenience use my MacBook Pro at work. And, my mac Mini at home! They function the same for me (well, only video editing I leave to the MacMini.)

Both are very solid machines.

redmarble

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
By the way, I have installed a very small piece of software that I think is a savior to all macs that have mechanical parts (like an optical or hard drive.) I use smcFanControl. My brother had the logic boards on his two MacBook Pros completely fry on him! When I purchased my MacBook Pro, I noticed that it was constantly getting really hot. I then did some research and found a forum with data on fan speeds and MBP temperatures. (If I find this site, I'll post it. Sorry, it was back in late 2009.) So, smcFanControl came up. I've been using it since. My MBP gets hot, but not as before. I use both my macs on a daily basis. And, I never shut them down. Only about two or three times a month, but only to restart them. I want to say that both are constantly on on an average of about 5 hrs a day! I use them with Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Traktor (MBP), and Reason 7! They have been very loyal to me!!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have both, and for convenience use my MacBook Pro at work. And, my mac Mini at home! They function the same for me (well, only video editing I leave to the MacMini.)

Both are very solid machines.

You did notice the OP's original question was about a 'Mac Pro' and not a Macbook Pro didn't you?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Yes I have switched from an early Mac Pro to the Mini. Each has advantages. Perhaps the only major difference for me is the amount of RAM and the use of a better video card. Beyond the latter, I can add externally devices such as DVD/Blu Ray RW and storage.

I like the Mac Pro and the Mac Mini. I'll be looking forward to the new Mac Pro Mini.

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell
I really wish that Apple offered something between the Mini and the Pro based on the i7 quad. Essentially, I guess I want a Mini with two or three PCIe slots and three or four drive bays at maybe a couple hundred $ more than the current Mini is selling for. That would be the perfect desktop for me. Every other manufacturer has something to offer in that range. I don't need a 12 core hell beast. I don't like all-in-ones like the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.