Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrboscombe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on what capture card to buy for streaming video.

I have a couple of cameras that I can use to film with (a JVC HM100 and a Panasonic Lumix GH1), and the plan is to run them via HDMI into a MacBook Pro (15-inch, late 2008, running OS 10.8.3).

Has anyone done anything similar?

I was looking at getting a Blackmagic Intensity card, but I've no idea if this will run properly on my MacBook or whether I'll need to buy anything other than the card to get this to run.

Any advice at all would be hugely appreciated. I'm completely new to streaming so don't feel you're teaching me how to suck eggs!

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I can only recommend the Hauppauge PVR (I have the older version, a new one came out last year or something). It's great, coupled with ElGato's EyeTV. Running on a 2011 Mini.

I wanted a Blackmagic but can't recall the issue back then (maybe it was only PCI-e and I needed USB in order to use it on my Mac?).
But I guess if in the end you want thunderbolt I believe Blackmagic has something for that (I think the problem was also price vs Hauppauge products?).

And I wouldn't grab anything too expensive nowadays. 1080p is bound to die and even if we'll get 4k TVs in 3/4 years or so... In my case I see no point on investing in this dying spec (not that people will keep on recording 1080p until 2065 or something, it's just I try to keep up-to-date as much as budget allows me to).

mrboscombe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Thanks for that ipsychedelic. Very helpful - I'm really struggling to find people who can help out, so much appreciated.

Have you actually run a JVC HM100 through the Hauppauge PVR?

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Thanks for that ipsychedelic. Very helpful - I'm really struggling to find people who can help out, so much appreciated.

Have you actually run a JVC HM100 through the Hauppauge PVR?

I've captured a t3i, if that is any good.
Another thing you can do is check YouTube videos that are captures via a given device to compare between models and brands (leaving aside the fact they might be captured in non optimal conditions or edited poorly, etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.