Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Six hours after it became available for pre-order in ten countries, most configurations of Apple's new iPhone 5c remain available for launch day delivery on the Apple Online Store and through mobile phone carriers.

Specifically, Apple's website is showing that the phone has slipped to 1-2 weeks delivery for customers in Hong Kong, with the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Singapore, and the United Kingdom still showing delivery fulfillment of September 20 except for outlying areas in some countries.

iphone5c4-800x696.jpg
Major U.S. carriers AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile still have the phone available for pre-order, with all configurations still available. The only sign of weakness spotted so far is at Sprint, which notes that it may not be able to make delivery of all orders on September 20, with the yellow 32 GB model apparently under the tightest supply.
We’ll do our best to get it to you by 9/20; but because of high demand, some phones will ship in up to 2 weeks. iPhone 5c yellow 32GB will ship in up to 3 weeks. A tracking number will be sent when your phone ships.
Apple is offering the 16GB iPhone 5c on most carriers for $99 with a new two-year contract, while the 32GB version of the phone is selling for $199. The unlocked GSM version of the 16GB iPhone 5c is available for $549, while the 32GB version of the 5c retails for $649.

Following today's start of pre-orders, the iPhone 5c will become available next Friday, September 20. Apple’s other flagship device, the iPhone 5s, will go on sale in store and online the same day and will not have a pre-order period.

Update: Some seven hours after the start of pre-orders, Apple's U.S. online store has experienced its first launch-day sellout, with the unlocked yellow 16 GB model currently showing an estimated shipment date of September 25.

yellow_5c_16.jpg

Article Link: iPhone 5c Launch Day Supplies Generally Holding Up Well as Pre-Orders Begin

Last edited:

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
On one hand, Apple could've done extremely well on making sure they manufactured a lot of these phones. Remember, there have been many, many leaks which implies there were a lot of them being produced. On the other hand, they might not be popular with consumers. Who knows?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Make that money, Apple! Tim is a numbers guy. I think after MANY launches, they shouldn't be experiencing shortages. Learn from your mistakes.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
It's definitely interesting to watch how the 5c preorders are going compared to previous iPhone preorders, especially if you're one of the people who believe that the 5c is really the new mainstream iPhone for most people, which I do believe.

I assume that one of the big reasons that the delivery dates are still so good after six hours, besides the fact that they were probably able to produce a crap ton of these, is mostly that a lot of the people who care enough to stay up late to preorder are people who care enough to get the 5s.

It'll definitely be fun to see numbers on 5c sales vs. 5s sales, considering Apple provides them to us.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
+1.. no demands for the 5C... what a waste of R&D.
Generally..... most people want the latest and the greatest!

Not really THAT much R&D. Plastic isnt anything special to work with.

Also you'd be surprised! Many people see that $100 as saved, and will get the cheaper model. The MR forum users will probably want the latest and greatest but we do not represent the general public.

I've seen plenty of people get the 4s when the 5 came out just because it was $100 cheaper.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I definitely believe they should've priced the 5C lower.

Just because ship time hasn't slipped doesn't mean they aren't selling a lot though...

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
What a flop.

The Hong Kong sales are just scalpers I bet who will sell them to countries not on the release schedule

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
Why they didn't make preorders for the 5s is still puzzling me. The 5c is the 5 in a new shell. When the 5 came on last year, they didn't do preorders for the 4s...why now, for a colorful shell?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Has there EVER been a shortage of supply for the previous generation phone when Apple makes a new one?

The aluminum phones are much more difficult to mass produce and it has been especially difficult for the way the iPhone 5/5s is designed. This is a big reason Apple went to plastic for the cheaper version in the first place. They are much easier to produce. So I imagine the plastic variant will be the biggest seller from now on but Apple won't have supply problems for them and although lower cost, it won't hurt their margins. Basically a win-win for Apple.

wallinbl

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
It's the same phone as the current 5. The production lines should be at full speed, and there shouldn't be any ramp up of production volume. And, other than color, there isn't anything new that would cause pent up demand to release. It should sell at a decent pace, but there's no reason to expect a supply shortage or a burst of demand.

elvetio

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

hmmm. maybe they just have a large amount of supplies ;)

now seriously, what were they thinking? the colours are fun, but 500 USD? give me a break

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
I don't think the 5c will flop. It is just as someone else said, people who preorder as soon as it is possible are those who are interested in the newest tech. 5c buyers may not necessarily be among this group.
It's possibly a bit like with the iPad Mini. I just walked into the Apple store on launch day and got mine, no queue, nothing. And Apple are still selling ********s of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.