Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Animations slower than iOS 6?

• Yes

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 36.3%
  • Haven't noticed!

Votes: 17 13.7%

• Total voters

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
The animations are largely unchanged from beta 6. They are smooth on the iPhone 5. The problem is the animation duration. Most animations take about twice as much time as they should, IMO.

iNotion

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Singapore
The questions in everyone's mind is whether ios7 will slow down iPhone 5 and also will it eat up battery life...

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
It's outdated as hell now. Don't expect it to run as smooth as the 5S ;)

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
The animations are largely unchanged from beta 6. They are smooth on the iPhone 5. The problem is the animation duration. Most animations take about twice as much time as they should, IMO.

Yes exactly! I was expecting a little more
Tbh

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

Yes it's this. Also, it's not as fluid of an experience on the whole. Things like reentering apps from the multitasking screen are accompanied with a hint of stutter and dropped frames. Rotation animations with the keyboard up is nearly always pretty bad. And then occasionally some little things too, like a small pop up menu. I have an eye for this stuff, and I'm dismayed that most of the same performance foibles weren't ironed out since beta 6. I guess that's what's supposed to make the 5S subtly more attractive.

And before anyone asks, this was all a fresh install on my 5. Anyone who thinks performance and fluidity in iOS 7 is better than iOS 6 either had a rotten build of iOS 6 or is slightly ignorant.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Yes it's this. Also, it's not as fluid of an experience on the whole. Things like reentering apps from the multitasking screen are accompanied with a hint of stutter and dropped frames. Rotation animations with the keyboard up is nearly always pretty bad. And then occasionally some little things too, like a small pop up menu. I have an eye for this stuff, and I'm dismayed that most of the same performance foibles weren't ironed out since beta 6. I guess that's what's supposed to make the 5S subtly more attractive.

And before anyone asks, this was all a fresh install on my 5. Anyone who thinks performance and fluidity in iOS 7 is better than iOS 6 either had a rotten build of iOS 6 or is slightly ignorant.

Yah I know it can't be our phones either! I don't know what you have but I have an iPhone 5 and our phones are still considered in good shape! I really thought that the animation speed would have changed! I also did a fresh install! Also the big is still there when you kill apps! Don't know quite how to explain it but that's another thing that could have been fixed!

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yah I know it can't be our phones either! I don't know what you have but I have an iPhone 5 and our phones are still considered in good shape! I really thought that the animation speed would have changed! I also did a fresh install! Also the big is still there when you kill apps! Don't know quite how to explain it but that's another thing that could have been fixed!

Are you talking about when you swipe them away and one app slides in blank, no screenshot? Or sometimes when you go into an old app through multitasking, it'll animate into an adjacent one, and then flash over to the correct one. To make matters worse, these bugs were all apparent in the betas, and this is the GM.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Are you talking about when you swipe them away and one app slides in blank, no screenshot? Or sometimes when you go into an old app through multitasking, it'll animate into an adjacent one, and then flash over to the correct one. To make matters worse, these bugs were all apparent in the betas, and this is the GM.

Yes I was talking about the first thing you mentioned and yes these should have been fixed! Did they miss it or something? I don't remember iOS 6 being this sloppy!

arnamak

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012

Are you aware of the fact that not everything you say has to end in an exclamation point?

justjax

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
The problem is the animation duration. Most animations take about twice as much time as they should, IMO.
I've seen others mention this and I don't get it. I guess if iOS7 (for whatever reason) is running slow on your 5 then perhaps the animation element seems to drag out but I really don't see it as a problem. Mine is perfectly fine and I'm assuming were talking about how it kind of zooms in and out of apps, folders, etc? It never once occured to me that it was slow or particuarly long and drawn out. Surely if it was too fast then you wouldn't notice it and it would be pointless.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Rotation is rough and laggy...That sucks seeing as the A6 can run so many of those games, but not give a smooth rotation animation? I know they want to sell the 5s, but should make sure that all phones running ios7 do so smoothly.

Quercus Alba

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
I've actually tested the opening/closing app animation speed and it's exactly the same as in iOS 6.

It just seems slower because it's a different animation, I guess.

In the early betas the animation speed was definitely much slower, though.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
OMG, I can't comprehend how people don't realize the difference between duration and performance.

Duration is fixed. These animations take the exact same amount of time on every supported device.

Performance/fluidity is different. Older device render these animations at lower framerates, but they always take the se amount of time. Simple.

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
While watching a video of the 5S, the speed of animations were MUCH faster, probably around 100% as fast. I don't get it, since the 5 is fast enough. I don't think iOS 7 really requires that much power... I'm confused.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
It feels like apple purposely makes them slower on older devices so the device would feel slow and outdated so you would upgrade.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Slow? YES.
Smooth? YES.

So, no hardware problem. Phone isn't struggling to play the animations. It's just the tempo of them. Too slow. If they were reduced by half it'd be awesome and would look amazing.

EDIT: I'd also appreciate that when you open multitask and move around a little bit you wouldn't have to wait until all movement has completely stopped in order to get your taps onto whatever app to take effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.