Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple and its carrier partners launched pre-orders for the iPhone 5c today at 12:01 AM, the company is not offering pre-orders for the new iPhone 5s model, despite both models becoming available next Friday, September 20.

In an email sent out to Apple customers today promoting the start of iPhone 5c pre-orders, the company also confirmed that orders for the iPhone 5s will similarly go live at 12:01 AM Pacific Time on September 20. (In an apparent error, the company's email says Pacific Standard Time, but Daylight Saving Time remains in effect until early November.)

iphone_5s_1201_preorder.jpg
With no pre-order process for the iPhone 5s, orders will simply ship when they are ready, and supplies are expected to be tight.

For those who want to make sure they are able to obtain the iPhone 5s on launch day, Apple will be opening its retail stores at 8:00 AM local time to begin sales. Lines will undoubtedly be long as customers will likely be lining up early to give themselves the best chance at securing their preferred models.

Article Link: Online Orders for iPhone 5s Begin at 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Friday, September 20

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Online Orders for iPhone 5s Begin at 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Friday, Septemb...

I'll be there at 12:01!! Nice to finally have a confirmed time.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
5s and Telecoms

Will the 5s be available from the Telecoms next Friday as well?

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
As much as I'd love one just for the sake of having a new toy to play with, can't justify it over my current 4S. If there had been a 128GB option, I'd be all over it.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
...and 8 hours earlier in the UK!

(We can order from 12:01 BST...)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
The big question is when you order at 12:01 am is that for shipment or pickup at the store? If you are able to reserve them for pickup will there be any reserved for walk-ins that did not order online? Otherwise if they sell out early in the am online for pickup and shipment the people that wait in line may not get anything.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
As much as I'd love one just for the sake of having a new toy to play with, can't justify it over my current 4S. If there had been a 128GB option, I'd be all over it.

I'm in the same boat: 4S and wasn't tempted enough with the 5 or 5S. However, I'll be all over the 6!

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I'm sorry, but this sucks. Maybe it's that I've been spoiled by being able to pre-order iPhones in the past, but really. It's also because I'm using a Nokia 111 until I get my new iPhone. :mad:

I am looking forward to getting the new phone though!

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I'm sorry, but this sucks. Maybe it's that I've been spoiled by being able to pre-order iPhones in the past, but really. It's also because I'm using a Nokia 111 until I get my new iPhone. :mad:

I am looking forward to getting the new phone though!

Why not just order at 12:01? Then get it a few days later.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
The big question is when you order at 12:01 am is that for shipment or pickup at the store? If you are able to reserve them for pickup will there be any reserved for walk-ins that did not order online? Otherwise if they sell out early in the am online for pickup and shipment the people that wait in line may not get anything.

Was wondering the same thing....

autrefois

macrumors 65816
So I guess you can try to order one online starting at 12:01 PDT and if you either can't get through due to server overload, or the shipping dates have slipped enough by the time you do get through, you can just go to an Apple Store in person if you're near one. Although apparently at least at some stores there is already a line...

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

The 5C did not offer pick-up in Store on the 20th so I highly doubt that the 5S would.

Shredliotti

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Where To Wait In Line?

Regardless of people saying its stupid...
Where should I wait in line for the 5S?
Will a 24hr. Walmart be a good choice or will people flock there for the small discount?

Thanks!

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Agreed. If it were the 6 and looked totally different then I can see maybe waiting in line to be one of the first to have it but id rather wait a few days just to have a finger print reader and not have to deal with the madness at the Apple stores. The problem is Apple offers to set the phones up for people on the spot and this slows things down to a crawl. It will be interesting to see if we can reserve them online for store pickup on the 20th. If so whats the point of camping out short of not having to wait in the reserve pick up line but if thats the case just pick it up later in the day.

Why not just order at 12:01? Then get it a few days later.

----------

Good to know. Thanks

The 5C did not offer pick-up in Store on the 20th so I highly doubt that the 5S would.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011

LTE is enough to justify it over your 4S. (Well, assuming you have a good carrier).

Nin3teen

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
Central Florida
Regardless of people saying its stupid...
Where should I wait in line for the 5S?
Will a 24hr. Walmart be a good choice or will people flock there for the small discount?

Thanks!

I decided not to. I heard that Walmart doesn't activate the phone for you. Anyone know if this is true or not? If you have to activate when you get home, you won't get it activated right away because the longer the day goes on, the more flooded the activation servers are going to be.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Well, Samsung will need some material for their commercials. This should do.

Nothing says don't buy a product like pointing out how many people are willing to wait in line for one right? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.