Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amahouk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Hello,
I don't know how my macbook that is 2 years old now got locked through iCloud even though no one got my password... I have no access to my laptop anymore and it is locked with a 6 digit number. could anyone help in figuring out how to find the PIN code and unlock my laptop? I need urgent help :'(

amahouk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I did already and took my laptop over to their store yesterday. They advised me to reboot the laptop through the CD that it comes with. Instead of fixing it, the CD got stuck in now!!! Thought maybe someone can help...

amahouk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
nothing is working out unfortunately... and the service center is not answering their phone ... i feel like breaking my laptop any second :'(

----------

finally CD is out... but the system pin is still on :'( can't figure out a way to wipe off my laptop and reset it to factory settings

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
If your system has been locked by iCloud it has actually put a firmware password on your Macbook. So if you didn't steal it I'd suggest you take it into an Apple Retail Store. If someone at the store actually said you reinstall the OS they are idiots.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
The OP never said that Apple Support told him to re-install OSX.

They may just have wanted to try and reset the admin password.

As for the firmware password, the install disc won't help unless you already know the password.

Your best bet is to take the laptop to the Apple Store.

VegasDon1

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
System Lock PIN Code!!!! - SOLVED

Hi, I have discovered an easy way to remove the system lock pin code off of any Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iMac or any other Apple computer.

1. You will need a OSX86 (Lion or Snow Leopard) disk aka Hackintosh....hehehe!!!
2. Insert the OSX86 disk into your Apple computer.
3. Reboot
4. Hold down the Command + C keys on the Apple keyboard.
5. OSX86 will automatically load Mac OS X setup
6. Click on Utility and select Firmware Password Utility
7. Create a Pin Code then click enable, then save.
8. Go back to Firmware Password Utility enter current pin code
then disable.
9. Reboot Apple Computer
10. No PIN CODE will be present
11. Install MAC OS X as usual

Last edited:

bb147

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
Hi, I have discovered an easy way to remove the system lock pin code off of any Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iMac or any other Apple computer.

1. You will need a OSX86 (Lion or Snow Leopard) disk aka Hackintosh....hehehe!!!
2. Insert the OSX86 disk into your Apple computer.
3. Reboot
4. Hold down the Command + C keys on the Apple keyboard.
5. OSX86 will automatically load Mac OS X setup
6. Click on Utility and select Firmware Password Utility
7. Create a Pin Code then click enable, then save.
8. Go back to Firmware Password Utility enter current pin code
then disable.
9. Reboot Apple Computer
10. No PIN CODE will be present
11. Install MAC OS X as usual

That shouldn't work because if its a icloud lock then you can't boot off external media.

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
how do you set a PIN code ?
i've laptop i would like to secure, but i don't use icloud.

is there a way to set it up without it ?

~Kool~Aid~Man~

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Her is how to do it : How to: Unlock System Lock PIN Code.

Hello,
I don't know how my macbook that is 2 years old now got locked through iCloud even though no one got my password... I have no access to my laptop anymore and it is locked with a 6 digit number. could anyone help in figuring out how to find the PIN code and unlock my laptop? I need urgent help :'(

Go to this URL http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661:D

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
That shouldn't work because if its a icloud lock then you can't boot off external media.

You're right, it shouldn't work, but for some unforeseen reason it does. I did this process this morning on a friends mid 2010 Macbook pro and on another mid 2012 cMBP and the process worked on both macs the first time i tried it. Thanks for the tip VegasDon1

Leenlei

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2019
You're right, it shouldn't work, but for some unforeseen reason it does. I did this process this morning on a friends mid 2010 Macbook pro and on another mid 2012 cMBP and the process worked on both macs the first time i tried it. Thanks for the tip VegasDon1
[doublepost=1567229558][/doublepost]How would I reset the system pin of a MacBook Air 2013- Mojave?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.