Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I'm in, can't decide between trying for one that day or just ordering online and waiting a few days.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Anyone know if you can walk into Walmart at 12:01 and just buy one then? I'll be camping out at apple late on the 19th,but I was asking for a friend.

carriesn

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Best Buy and the carrier stores (Verizon etc) should also have the iphone 5s ready on launch day right? I dont fancy driving one hour to the closest Apple store.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Online Orders for iPhone 5s Begin at 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Friday, Septemb...

Best Buy and the carrier stores (Verizon etc) should also have the iphone 5s ready on launch day right? I dont fancy driving one hour to the closest Apple store.

To be safe I'd call them on the 19th to confirm their available stock.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It's nice to know that there are people out there without a job who are receiving financial support from their parents.

Are you brainwashed into thinking that people need to work monday-friday 9-5 to be a working member of society?

How about people who have taken a vacation at work to stand in line (that has been me in the past), project employed (also been me in the past - I have been paid for a 3 month project, and I can work my own hours to get the project done in 3 months). They could have weekend jobs where they work Fri night - Sunday...and numerous others.

To stereotype all people who are not working on a Tuesday 2:00 in the afternoon as losers is very naive. Most successful people vacation and take time off all the time, and only work in spurts.

Bibbler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
The Mon Valley!
It's nice to know that there are people out there without a job who are receiving financial support from their parents.

Actually, the whole "Standing in Line" thing kinda surprised me. At 55 years old and self employed (which causes me being away from home a lot) I found it rather refreshing..

I stood in line for the 3G when it came out, packed a lunch, and had my "NASCAR" folding chair and was out there about 7 hours. Lots of nice people with common interests (ie. Ham Radio, Private Pilots, Classic Cars, NASCAR, music)

Not something I would do everyday but you know, it didn't suck..

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
The big question is when you order at 12:01 am is that for shipment or pickup at the store?
I'm guessing the former. The apple staff are going to be busy as is with the release. They won't have time or the stock to set aside phones for people like us.

Nin3teen

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
Central Florida
Anyone know if you can walk into Walmart at 12:01 and just buy one then? I'll be camping out at apple late on the 19th,but I was asking for a friend.

Although Walmart stores are usually open 24/7, the mobile phone department isnt. Usually the way Apple handles other retailers is, having them all start selling the phone at the same local time, in this case 8:00am local. I may be wrong, and as the days go on I'm sure more info will become available. But I would count on iPhone's not being available anywhere in person before 7/8am.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
As much as I'd love one just for the sake of having a new toy to play with, can't justify it over my current 4S. If there had been a 128GB option, I'd be all over it.

You know, I'm leaning that way myself. The 4S is plenty good enough to ride another year, especially if iOS7 runs well on it. I'm going to wait and see what everyone says about their 5S's. If it blows everyone's hair back, I might reconsider--of course the thing won't arrive before Christmas, but whatever. :)

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Although Walmart stores are usually open 24/7, the mobile phone department isnt. Usually the way Apple handles other retailers is, having them all start selling the phone at the same local time, in this case 8:00am local. I may be wrong, and as the days go on I'm sure more info will become available. But I would count on iPhone's not being available anywhere in person before 7/8am.

Great,thank you.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I'll pick up in store, but now that I've moved to "the burbs" in NJ instead of being in NYC, I'm hoping the lines won't be as bad. :)

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Why not just order at 12:01? Then get it a few days later.

I'm just being cranky because my wife and I just had our first baby and my fingers are going to fall off from all the 1990's style of texting on the Nokia while I can't keep up with family and friends texting and emailing me. That and having a phone that acts as a camera as well turns out to be huge when you've been spoiled by it for the past five years (especially when you want to take pics of your newborn....but it did make me break out my awesome Canon). :)

Will order at 12:01 as you mentioned! Thanks!

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I promised my daughter that she could have my iPhone 5 next friday evening so I am taking no chances. I will be queued outside the Apple store at 9pm on thursday....Jeez It had better not rain :(

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Waiting for iPhone 6 (completely redesigned with 4.5"-5" screen)

So see you in 2017 then? And it won't be called the 6, it'll be the 9 by the time it has a 4.5"-5" screen. I base that on the same rock solid source of information you did evidently :p

Screen size obsession is likely never going to be satisfied unless Apple changes it's business model for phones (and they sort of did with the 5C, but that's been the FIRST time they offered a "new" model along with the flagship).

Right now Apple cares about selling to the MOST people. Not the niche that wants a bigger screen. And that's all it is at the moment, a niche. If that changes in a few years, so will Apple, but for now the MOST customers are happy with a phone that fits well in one hand, and can be used with a thumb over the entire area of the screen.

Believe that if more customers wanted a 5" screen than wanted a 4", they would make it that way, but since they have only one model (+C), they go with the BIGGEST sales segment.

If that's going to be preventing you from buying, the 6 is not going to be your salvaltion. You can quote me on that. 4.2" MAYBE, but I doubt even that.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I'm just being cranky because my wife and I just had our first baby and my fingers are going to fall off from all the 1990's style of texting on the Nokia while I can't keep up with family and friends texting and emailing me. That and having a phone that acts as a camera as well turns out to be huge when you've been spoiled by it for the past five years (especially when you want to take pics of your newborn....but it did make me break out my awesome Canon). :)

Will order at 12:01 as you mentioned! Thanks!

Haha! After explaining yourself, I completely understand. Lets hope it says "arrives in two days" after you complete your checkout at 12:01. Good luck and use that awesome cannon more! Lol

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
I will be ordering my 5S (32GB-Space Grey) next Friday at 3:01 AM (EST) along with a new Apple Black Leather case to go with it :D and a 5S (32GB-Silver) for my wife as well ;) (which will be replacing our 4S phones)

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
As much as I'd love one just for the sake of having a new toy to play with, can't justify it over my current 4S. If there had been a 128GB option, I'd be all over it.

I could see apple adding a 128gb option in like a month with no media event, like they did with the iPad, they'll just be like "Oh hey, heres a 128 gb option."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.