Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aoumi83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Hi guys, I've had my ipad 2 for a good long while now and with the ipad 5 just around the corner and 3 generations later I'm assuming it will be worth an upgrade, do you think I should think about ebaying it before the 5 comes out for maximum sale value? If I wait until after the 5 and the ipad 2 is discontinued the resale value might go through the floor and I'm part funding my upgrade by selling my ipad 2 :)

So what do you think? sell, wait or wait another year?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
With the iPad I like to skip 1 year. This way it isn't getting long in the tooth. So for you, it makes a lot of sense to get the iPad 5 when it comes out and get rid of the iPad 2. You'll be amazed at the jump in specs and screen. Even from an iPad 2 to 4 is likely amazing for you.

And if you're not sure what to have for lunch today, I recommend Chinese food.

aoumi83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
I guess what I'm really wanting to know is whether I'm going to get significantly less on ebay for my 2 after the 5 comes out than I would if I sold it now.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
People shopping for a 2 aren't looking at release dates and best to have the new machine proven before cutting the old free. Don't want to leave something behind! Best to hold/buy/sell.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Hi guys, I've had my ipad 2 for a good long while now and with the ipad 5 just around the corner and 3 generations later I'm assuming it will be worth an upgrade, do you think I should think about ebaying it before the 5 comes out for maximum sale value? If I wait until after the 5 and the ipad 2 is discontinued the resale value might go through the floor and I'm part funding my upgrade by selling my ipad 2 :)

So what do you think? sell, wait or wait another year?

Well, considering I sold my iPad 4 to get the iPad 5 I'd say sell! ;)
As far as where to sell I'd agree that Craig's List is the way to go though I might would suggest putting it on Facebook. My son sold his that way to a friend he didn't know was looking for one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.