Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe has updated its popular Adobe Photoshop Express app for iOS to version 3.0, bringing a newly streamlined design, as well as new features such as over 20 additional filters, a corrective auto-fix feature that automatically adjusts photo attributes, and full integration with cloud photo syncing service Adobe Revel.

adobe_photoshop_express-800x473.jpg
On-the-go photo editing was never so fun, fast, and cool. Touch your way to better-looking pictures with automatic fixes and filters. Get your pictures to pop! And after sharing, you'll be the talk of your friends.
The updated app is not necessarily going over well with users, however, as the new version currently has only a 2-star rating in the App Store and a number of reviewers are complaining the loss of more advanced features that disappeared as part of the move to a more streamlined design.

Adobe Photoshop Express is a free download for the iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Adobe Updates 'Photoshop Express' with Controversial New Design, Additional Filters

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Adobe increasingly reminds me of Microsoft. The software engineers seem to have come unhinged in recent years and are developing products that, while powerful, are a pain to use. For instance, Adobe integrated their ironically named "Product Improvement Program" feature into Photoshop CS6. On our Macs at work, that feature continually crashes PS and has been a real chore to disable. I had hoped when Adobe bought Macromedia, that Flash would get a much needed streamlining. But it seems as if the complexities of Macromedia now permeate the culture at Adobe. Their products seem to get more and more bloated and unresponsive.

Perhaps in Photoshop Express, they're removing features just to keep the app functional.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
As I've said in other threads (mainly FCP X), I don't mind the companies streamlining their interfacing or making them easier, it's the loss of features that bugs me. While I don't use many of these apps that lose functionality personally, I work with people who do and make make their living with those apps.

Example: I'm an IT guy at a middle school. We have a cart of original iPads. Sometimes, a teacher asks for an app to be on the iPads. When I check, it requires a camera or iOS 6+, which the original iPads don't have. It gets worse when an app originally worked on them, but gets updated and needs iOS 6. So I have to explain to the teacher that it can't get installed. Which means the teacher either has to find another app that works, or try to schedule the cart of iPad 2s we have, which is almost always booked.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
lol with ppl bitching about that design i cant wait to see the public reaction of iOS7 ...

They're complaining about lack of features. Since iOS7 adds features, and public reaction to iOS7 is already old news--and very positive outside of the minor gripes any change will bring--I wouldn't worry :)

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
They messed up the app a long time ago when they changed the way the sliders worked (e.g. hue/saturation combined into a single tool)... not to mention the removal of existing filters, while pushing in-app purchases in your face.

nicholc2

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
lol with ppl bitching about that design i cant wait to see the public reaction of iOS7 ...

My wife loves it. She has been bitching about iOS6 in one form or another since the day I installed it for her. A day after I put 7 GM on her phone I got a text saying that she LOVES it. I'd say you'll be surprised. I actually like it a lot as well. This is the first time I feel it's a complete OS.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Example: I'm an IT guy at a middle school. We have a cart of original iPads. Sometimes, a teacher asks for an app to be on the iPads. When I check, it requires a camera or iOS 6+, which the original iPads don't have. It gets worse when an app originally worked on them, but gets updated and needs iOS 6. So I have to explain to the teacher that it can't get installed. Which means the teacher either has to find another app that works, or try to schedule the cart of iPad 2s we have, which is almost always booked.
I know exactly what you mean, since I do school IT too. But I know it's up to each app developer to decide whether to support older releases and keep new features optional or to update their base iOS version now and then. I'm a developer too, so I'm keenly aware of the tradeoffs. Supporting older releases maintains existing customers and keeps them happy but to support older releases indefinitely they have to maintain more complex code and they also have to design an interface that works with or without some of the app features.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I don't get the comparison to iOS7. People are complaining because features were removed. What features were removed from iOS?

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
PS stuff is all crap, even photoshop has slid behind the curve compared to even video softwares out there on terms of picture editing.

I hate to recommend google as they are the DEVIL but their picture editor is way better and has a boat load of free filters and adjustments that put this to shame. Snapseed FYI

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
Adobe increasingly reminds me of Microsoft. The software engineers seem to have come unhinged in recent years and are developing products that, while powerful, are a pain to use.
The thing that I detest above all with Adobe's products is the fact that they override the default OS UI with their own version. This applies to both OSX and Windows versions. If users are used to a certain OS-wide UI, why not work with them? The only other company that I'm aware of that rides roughshod over good human interface guidelines is ... Apple.

hushypushy

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
San Jose, CA
Well, this is kind of frustrating.

I was up at Adobe in San Francisco a few months ago. I spent a few hours in a focus group--where I was the only consumer--being very detailed about their iOS Photoshop apps.

Every. Single. Thing. I told them was ignored. The new app version is a downgrade in every way! Obviously I wasn't the only person whose input they considered but seriously--how is the new app "better" in any way? They made the interface more like Instagram...oooh...

Is it just me or is sharpening gone? What about the handy button that let you flip between original and edited photos? (like the \ key does in Lightroom)

Dammit Adobe :mad:

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
They're complaining about lack of features. Since iOS7 adds features, and public reaction to iOS7 is already old news--and very positive outside of the minor gripes any change will bring--I wouldn't worry :)

There is no public reaction to iOS7 yet. Everyone who's even aware of it is the sort of person who goes out of their way to find details. Yes, people were actually surprised to learn about the 5S on Tuesday and there are many, many, many people who use iPhones but have never heard of iOS7 and the flat design. The world is a very big and diverse place and not everyone cares to keep up to date on the company that made a cell phone they barely thing about when they're using.

I agree with the earlier poster, it will be very interesting to see how the average user reacts to iOS7.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
I may have this wrong.....

I was up at Adobe in San Francisco a few months ago. I spent a few hours in a focus group--where I was the only consumer--being very detailed about their iOS Photoshop apps.

Every. Single. Thing. I told them was ignored. The new app version is a downgrade in every way! Obviously I wasn't the only person whose input they considered but seriously--how is the new app "better" in any way? They made the interface more like Instagram...oooh...

Is it just me or is sharpening gone? What about the handy button that let you flip between original and edited photos? (like the \ key does in Lightroom)

I may have this wrong.....but I always thought Expresss was at this cut down level. To me it doesn't seem any different? A bait snazzier in form, but the same function?

PS Touch is the Adobe programme with more of the PS/Lightroom bells n whistles?

If you want to edit photos (sorry play with as you can't really edit) use IPhoto or PS Touch....

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
where is the blur?

I actually don't mind this new version because it least it doesn't ask me for my password every time I open it. It did that so the app could tell which paid features to load since the ID was used for in-app purchased.

However the blur feature that I paid for is no longer available and I really need it back, plus I paid for it so where is it?

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011

anyone know how to unintall the update??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.