Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curiosity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
I wanted to purchase some iPhone 4s today, then I clicked on "overview" and saw this (picture attached). They clearly advertise AirDrop as an iPhone 4s feature.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 695

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
The iPhone 4S does NOT support airdrop. This is in the fine print under ios7 new features. They advertise airdrop as an "iOS 7" feature

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 440

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
The iPhone 4S does NOT support airdrop. This is in the fine print under ios7 new features. They advertise airdrop as an "iOS 7" feature

That page isn't exactly accurate; it mentions that camera filters require iPhone 5 but that feature was added to the 4s as well.

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
As mentioned above it's not for the iPhone 4S. I feel its a bit wrong to list it there though, even though its listing generic iOS 7 features... They'd be far better off listing new features that will work with the 4S

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Does anyone know if the 4s wifi chipset supports WiFi direct protocol since AirDrop uses that protocol to transfer data? I know the 5 does so it could be a hardware issue.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Does anyone know if the 4s wifi chipset supports WiFi direct protocol since AirDrop uses that protocol to transfer data? I know the 5 does so it could be a hardware issue.
AirDrop will NOT work on anything prior to the iPhone 5 or iPad 4.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
AirDrop will NOT work on anything prior to the iPhone 5 or iPad 4.
I'm sure it's in the hardware. As stated here, AirDrop only works on a limited number of idevices that are currently selling.

This is an oversight on Apple's behalf. What they have done is link 4S to iOS 7, which, implemented here in summary mode, displays a generic introductory paragraph to iOS 7, not specific to the 4S at all. This kind of summary can be misleading for those purchasing the 4S, or at least cause confusion for posts like this.

I do think AirDrop will be in future Apple ads, it will sell iOS devices, however, it is not available on iPhone 4S, iPad 2, not sure about iPad Mini...it works on currently available iPod touches. (A6 processor or better (except iPod touch), whether that has to do with the wifi or bluetooth that comes with or the processor itself).

curiosity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
They now removed AirDrop from the iPhone 4s overview in the US store. Would have been a nice feature, but oh well...

hbman122

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
That page isn't exactly accurate; it mentions that camera filters require iPhone 5 but that feature was added to the 4s as well.
The live camera filters (whilst taking a photo) are iPhone 5 and above only. Filters in the photos app is available for all devices

Aspergirl

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Oregon
I know on my 4s I have the camera filters as well and you may need to be on a wifi connection and/or around other idevices to see the airdrop icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.