Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
For those who love matching :) lolol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 96

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
Totally agree, the 5c will sell like gangbusters and definitely outsell the 5s.

----------

5s is for existing users, 5c is for new users, that will be the trend.

I'm an existing user and going for the 5c.

----------

Heh heh, you seem to forget that Apple has been doing this 650 for current gen, 550 forever. You can make the same argument last year that no one would buy 4s for 550 unlock ( or 100 with contract) when 5 only cost 100 more. But the market said differently. About 1/4 of all IPhone sold last q was 4s at 550. Just because you won't make that choice does not mean others won't. This 5c will do better than 4s last year given that it has multiple colors, new exterior design and support China Mobile. And don't forget Docomo as well.

Not in the UK :(. The top gen used to be £499/£599/£699, then £529/£599/£699 but now it's £549/£629/£709.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
That is a very mean thing to say to anyone. Are you mad at people who like apple products or something? Did they do anything bad to you?

Of course not.
Got an iPad, Apple TV, rMBP. And proud :)

There are just some people who think Apple products are the best, and Apple is the best company ever and blah.

Now I respect their opinions, but I get attacked by most of them sometimes so I call them Isheeps

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Of course not.
Got an iPad, Apple TV, rMBP. And proud :)

There are just some people who think Apple products are the best, and Apple is the best company ever and blah.

Now I respect their opinions, but I get attacked by most of them sometimes so I call them Isheeps

I'm in no way an iSheep. the only reason I'm upgrading from my iPhone 4S to the 5C is because I don't trust that fingerprint scanner. Had Apple left that out I would have chosen the 5S.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
I'm in no way an iSheep. the only reason I'm upgrading from my iPhone 4S to the 5C is because I don't trust that fingerprint scanner. Had Apple left that out I would have chosen the 5S.

you plan on robbing a bank in the future? A lot of jobs require your prints to be taken...what will you do when the time comes? If the NSA really wanted your prints they could get them.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

That's understandable but man I've seen so many people who say the 5S is the best phone and its so innovative? Like what?
Finger print sensor (other phones have it)
Camera (no innovation there)
I'll give them props for 64bit processor... But I don't see the iPhone having 4Gb ram in a year or two
What else... Nothing it's the same
Same resolution
Same screen size
iPhone5Same

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Yah I can see that as a plus for people - are u upgrading ?

Yeah, I went for it. $549 but hey, YOLO, right?

----------

That's understandable but man I've seen so many people who say the 5S is the best phone and its so innovative? Like what?
Finger print sensor (other phones have it)
Camera (no innovation there)
I'll give them props for 64bit processor... But I don't see the iPhone having 4Gb ram in a year or two
What else... Nothing it's the same
Same resolution
Same screen size
iPhone5Same

Nothing else has the same type of fingerprint sensor and the camera's FLASH is very innovative for a phone camera, and it's low light ability should also be second to none.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Actually when rumors started rolling, just before the first iPad was released, Apple sold it under its estimated price point.

By "too expensive", you have to compare it with 1- what you can buy from the same manufacturer and the same amount of money. When you can buy a full-fledged, albeit a bit low on power, computer with as much money, then it starts to become ridiculous. 2- an actual, very similar device that the iPod touch is. Calculating the cost difference puts a number on this "ripoff" epithet.

I will respectfully disagree with you on this.

The iPhone, and smartphones in general, have use cases as compared to a computer or "similar" iPod Touch. Certainly there is overlap in the tasks that each type of device can allow (web surfing, email, some games, document access, document creation, etc.) under some circumstances (ie - you are in a wifi hotspot). But there are significant differences in the capabilities and experiences.

The flexibility of a PC cannot be approached by a mobile device. Similarly, the flexibility of a smartphone cannot be approached by a smartphone. I am absolutely not saying you cannot do many of the same tasks, obviously you can. But creation of significant spreadsheet models (not simple lists), detailed word processing documents with tables/indexes/etc., photo editing with masking/layers/etc. are not (easily) possible on a phone. Conversely, holding a telephone call on an iMac while in your car...well, you get the point.

As for the iPod Touch comparison, it is simple: it is not a cellular device. If you need a phone, an iPod Touch could cost $1.00, but is irrelevant in the purchase decision.

"Ripoff?" That is as subjective as "I hate the look of the green iPhone 5c." A smartphone is...fasten your seat belts...a luxury product, albeit an important part of today's lifestyles and business success. And the pricing is set based on manufacturing costs + desired margin + elasticity/supply/demand forces. But it is not a subjective "ripoff".

kdarling

macrumors P6
Nothing else has the same type of fingerprint sensor ...

They could. RF sensors have been around for a very long time.

Heck, Validity... one of AuthenTec's competitors... even pointed out on their web page a while back, that they'd build their RF sensor into almost anything, including :

validity_button_sensor.png

Like AuthenTec's sensor, it can also act as a cursor or navigation pad, something I'd like to see on both iOS devices and Android devices (again... most used to have it).

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
Maybe he meant something entirely different...let me translate:

"The iPhone 5C isn't that special. Therefore, it won't be in high demand. And thus, preorder isn't a big deal."

Lol, this is the 1st time I've only had to wait about a day for somebody's words to be proven SO wrong. Did you see the article about the "not in high demand" iPhone 5C selling out in the "not a big deal" pre-order?

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
Lol, this is the 1st time I've only had to wait about a day for somebody's words to be proven SO wrong. Did you see the article about the "not in high demand" iPhone 5C selling out in the "not a big deal" pre-order?

I didn't. You'll have to show me (keep this thread in mind when you get that article).

And, I was translating one MR post (full of sarcasm) to another MR post that completely missed the point.

But, anyway, I'm curious about that article.

wcinvest

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
Quite honestly, I can recommend the Lumia 521 for teenagers especially. It is a great easy to use phone with buttery smooth operation that only costs $124 with no need to sign a contract. Free Pandora without ads until at least the end of the year as well. Not as many games as iPhone but more then enough to keep kids entertained and obviously expanding every day. Sure the camera and display could be better but they are both more then good enough for teenagers.

I was convinced to give Windows Phone 8 a chance when a multi millionaire high tech exec I know broke his iPhone and was repulsed by the replacement cost and decided to give Windows Phone a chance. He loved his midrange Windows Phone and now is looking to upgrade to the Nokia 1020.

I am not stating the lowly Lumia 521 priced at $124 will be as good as the iPHone 5c priced at $529 at T-mobile but it will be much closer then that price disparity suggests... Nokia must be selling the 521 pretty much at cost or even a small loss.

I had an iPhone 4s for a while and I can honestly state I like the Lumia 521 more.

Since I've made so much money on Apple stock, I was hoping to buy a 5c but now that very good phones can be had for $124, I refuse to pay that much unless I was getting a new flagship phone like the iPHone 5s.

It's probably the Nexus 5 or Lumia 925 for me next.

IMHO Apple is making a mistake.... If Android improves their low end phones like Microsoft has done with the Lumia 521, Apple could really start losing market share in the US and have profits reduced by 30-40%. At a certain point, people like me won't even consider switching back to Apple.

I believe Apple's pricing is turning people off. Yes, they will still make huge money but probably not as much as last year and their worldwide market share will go down.

And before folks think I'm bashing Apple.... I'm typing this on a 13.3 MacBook Air which I think was pretty fairly priced... I got mine with Parallels for $999 just after a new model came out.

wcinvest

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
Heh heh, you seem to forget that Apple has been doing this 650 for current gen, 550 forever. You can make the same argument last year that no one would buy 4s for 550 unlock ( or 100 with contract) when 5 only cost 100 more. But the market said differently. About 1/4 of all IPhone sold last q was 4s at 550. Just because you won't make that choice does not mean others won't. This 5c will do better than 4s last year given that it has multiple colors, new exterior design and support China Mobile. And don't forget Docomo as well.

Apple has been doing this pricing forever but the market place has changed. I can now buy and I did buy a $124 Nokia Lumia phone which I like a little bit more then the iPHone 4s. 3 years ago, a very good new smart phone for $124 was unheard of.

Basically smart phones is now a mature market and within a mature market even Apple has to be more price competitive or they will start losing market share at an accelerated pace.

If Apple doesn't change their pricing, I predict Windows Phone will have greater market share within 2 years worldwide. Right now Apple is probably at something like 13% and Windows phone at something like 4%. Those percentages will probably reverse if Apple doesn't watch their pricing.

Android is at 75%+ market share worldwide.

People will still buy the new iPHones but it will be less of them. I would have (probably) bought an iPhone 5c if it was priced at $449. Instead if I upgrade my Lumia 521 which I'm really happy with, I will probably now get a Nexus 5 if its 16GB version is priced at $299 like I suspect or a Lumia 925.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
(...)Conversely, holding a telephone call on an iMac while in your car...well, you get the point.
This is forbidden technically, so with a cordless headset you're within the boundaries of the law. But joke apart, I get your point.

"Ripoff?" That is as subjective as "I hate the look of the green iPhone 5c." A smartphone is...fasten your seat belts...a luxury product, albeit an important part of today's lifestyles and business success. And the pricing is set based on manufacturing costs + desired margin + elasticity/supply/demand forces. But it is not a subjective "ripoff".
My comment was actually based on the estimated BoM that was published here a while ago. A 3G or LTE radio surely doesn't cost $400.

I don't consider a smartphone to be a luxury product anymore. One can have a decent smartphone for $300, but surely at $0.8k it falls square in the luxury segment. Macs are not luxury anymore as one can have one for $1k. There's an iPod for every budget. Why isn't a current iPhone available at an affordable level?

But as excessive as the price is, as long as demand is there, there is no reason to cut costs.

Only a total d-bag would do that....and only 5 years ago...not today.
Sorry to contradict you, but iPhone-yielders are still using it as a status symbol, the so-called rich bitches who never actually worked to get their money or the Land Rover they're driving.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Apple has been doing this pricing forever but the market place has changed. I can now buy and I did buy a $124 Nokia Lumia phone which I like a little bit more then the iPHone 4s. 3 years ago, a very good new smart phone for $124 was unheard of.

Basically smart phones is now a mature market and within a mature market even Apple has to be more price competitive or they will start losing market share at an accelerated pace.

If Apple doesn't change their pricing, I predict Windows Phone will have greater market share within 2 years worldwide. Right now Apple is probably at something like 13% and Windows phone at something like 4%. Those percentages will probably reverse if Apple doesn't watch their pricing.

Android is at 75%+ market share worldwide.

People will still buy the new iPHones but it will be less of them. I would have (probably) bought an iPhone 5c if it was priced at $449. Instead if I upgrade my Lumia 521 which I'm really happy with, I will probably now get a Nexus 5 if its 16GB version is priced at $299 like I suspect or a Lumia 925.

we will know the number soon enough since traditionally Apple will release the first weekend sales number on Monday or Tuesday after the launch. Remember this year, Apple signed up Japan Docomo with 61M 3G users. It is a group of users that don't have any Iphone choice before and Japan has 40%+- penetration of Iphone. Do you own math and the demand from Japan is going to be hugh.. China mobile is rumored to launch on Nov 20 (after the government hand down the 4G license) and China Mobile has 173Mish 3G users.

Window phone will have bigger market share but not from Apple. Microsoft already pitched the low end market as the savior for Nokia in the merger presentation. So Nokia will be focusing on building Window phone market by hitting low price point.

----------

----------

Not in the UK :(. The top gen used to be £499/£599/£699, then £529/£599/£699 but now it's £549/£629/£709.

China has 17% VAT tax and everyone is bitching about the high cost so a lot of China folk go across to Hong Kong and pick up same phone without VAT and risk getting caught by custom.. local price are very much affected by tax rate and exchange rate. I would check that to see if that is the reason for your price change from last year.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Sorry to contradict you, but iPhone-yielders are still using it as a status symbol, the so-called rich bitches who never actually worked to get their money or the Land Rover they're driving.

I'm not sure how that's possible when almost everyone on the subway seems to have one. It is NOT a status symbol (and never should have been considered such).

macman312

macrumors 6502
I like the design of the 5C. Was considering the yellow model, with the black Apple logo, if the Richmond Tigers had won last Sunday's elimination finals game (their team colours). But sadly, they lost, so I'll leave it for this year (Aussie football reference there).

haha :p. Australians are going to be once again the first to get the new iPhone and the hopefully the first to get iOS7.

----------

----------

Wow thats as bad as in Australia it was AU$799/899/999 (£465/£523/£581) Now it is 899/999/1129 (£523/£581/£657)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Because they want one and have the available disposable income?

Ok well I still fail to understand why people think Apple is positioning the 5C as replacement for the 5. I would assume a 5 owner with disposable income looking to upgrade would choose the 5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.