Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SgtP3pp3r

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Honduras
Ok,

i need a little advice.

A while back, i lost my dear dear 15" Early 2011 MacBook Pro to a freak accident, however the hard drive was left intact. So i have a working 750 Gb 7200 rpm hybrid drive sitting at home with Mac OS X installed, and all my files, exactly where they were before the accident.

6 months later, I acquired a new 13" MacBook Pro. However, i want to put the hybrid drive in this one. Im guessing as great as Mac OS X is, I still won´t be able to simply swap the hard drives and expect everything to be alright (or can i?).

What should i do here? I was planning to bring all my files over to another hard drive temporarily, then formatting the Hybrid drive, reinstalling Mac OS X on it, then bringing the files back to their rightful places.

Am i jumping thru too many hoops? Can I simply swap out the hard drives and let Mac OS X deal with the fact that the OS in the hard drive is not configured to the installed hardware?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try the drive swap first and see what happens.

Then get back to us if it doesn't work.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
It's unlikely that an older-than-current system from a 2011 MBP will work on a 2013 MBP. Most installations of OS X know about all hardware older than the system release date, but obviously not about ones from the future.

So if you want to put the hard drive in the new MBP, you would need to get the OS up-to-date.

First of all, backup your data on the hybrid before you muck about with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.