Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pro31

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
Should you be using your personal iPhone for work? If that data is that sensitive, you should keep those separate. Again, not something you should be sharing to begin with. Convenience of having a single phone should not trump the security of your work or your job.

BL.

Who says the iphone is a personal one? Companies offer those as well. Never said anything about convenience of having one phone or anything else that you mentioned. I only mentioned the fact that just because one person shares their passcode with their spouse, it doesn't mean everyone can.

i4m

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
I beg to differ. Why wouldn't a thief take your finger along with your iPhone? If you think otherwise, you haven't done much traveling.

Have you done much traveling? Show me your hands, how many fingers are missing?

Last edited:

i4m

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
The potential problem is that for a thief to access - and sell - the phone, they require your finger. So now they'll need more than just your phone!

I doubt this would ever happen but in theory…

Also, if Apple's touch ID works well, other companies will be implementing it in everything - computers, cars, doors… And then your finger will become a very desirable object for thieves.

There is even more to consider if you want to go down this road.

They never know which finger you registered, so they will need the whole hand. On the other hand (excuse the pun), it may be quicker to force you to unlock than chop off the finger.

mylop

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
I read that every 48hrs the phone would ask you to input your passcode. After a couple of weeks that would annoy me and I'd end up just turning off the fingerprint scanner leaving my phone unsecured again (like it's been since day one).

For me, remote lock/wipe via text is a far more convenient feature, as well as remote ring on maximum volume (in case it was lost/stolen when in silent) and find my phone.

J. Jizzle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
U.S.A.
I wonder how well Touch ID will work if someone puts a case on the 5S. I myself have always used Otter Box cases, which tend to cover up the iPhone's home button, so unless Otter Box is planning on re-designing their cases specifically for the 5S's Touch ID feature, I don't see it working all that well if someone wants to use a case.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
What are you going to use that's better than the sapphire crystal top layer they already use?

it's not that, i just dont like the feel of the home button with a screen protector on, too depressed. Prefer a flush finish with a home button protector to match the thickness of the screen protector.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
Disney's ticket authentication fingerprint system temporarily stores the association of a finger to a ticket, so that multiple people cannot use the same pass.

According to Disney, that info is purged from their database after the ticket expires. (Because it's useless by itself.)

So you believe Disney when it tells you it doesn't save fingerprint data but don't believe Apple? :rolleyes:

----------

I still wonder why they nor their parents didn't speak up when they took hand, finger, and footprints the day they were born. If they are this paranoid now, they should have been just as paranoid when they were younger.

BL.

All those Thanksgiving handprint turkeys... NSA was collecting data!

uttamo

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
Does anyone know whether you have to press the home button before unlocking the phone with you fingerprint?

Can you simply put your finger on the home button and the iPhone will go Sleep>Home screen (or Sleep>Lock screen>Home screen)? Or do you have to press the home button first to wake it and then allow it to read your fingerprint? Can it just read your fingerprint while sleeping, as the ring around it detects that a finger is in contact?

Did not know where to post this question so apologies if it's the wrong forum or if it's been asked before. Thanks.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Trust me on this one and most of the non-haters know this too, if Samsung had've put out the same plethora of small goodies on their GS4 as Apple did with the iPhone 5S today the Fandroids would've called it "Innovation". Sadly Apple gets crapped on for it.
Bingo! Fingerprint scanners have been in laptops and phones for quite some time now. Nobody was complaining about chopped-off fingers and NSA surveilence when it was HP, Dell or Motorola. But when Apple ships a product, it becomes a threat to personal safety?

The US Government already has that along with my DNA when I was in the service. So I gave up a long time ago and just go with the flow. As long as you keep your nose clean you have nothing to worry about.
That might have been true once upon a time, but not anymore. Go read the news. The IRS has been conducting audits against people whose politics disgree with the Administration. Can you honestly say that you have never said or publicly written anything anyone in the government would like to punish you for?

Is there an off switch? Can you revert to passcode?
It would be pretty useless if Apple disabled all other security mechanisms and forced everybody to use the scanner or have no security at all.

Keep in mind that iOS 7 will be running on many devices without fingerprint scanners (4, 4S, 5 and 5c, as well as iPads and iPod Touches) so the other authentication methods are still going to be in the software. I really don't think Apple is going to deliberately disable this software on a 5s.

Will using a password still be an option even if you have the fingerprint scanner enabled?
Good question. On Android, if you enable biometric authentication (e.g. fingerprints on a Motorol Atrix, or facial recognition on an LG Optimus), you are required to register a backup passcode/passphrase. They recognize that biometrics don't always work, and that you sometimes need to grant another person access. I assume Apple has something similar, but I haven't tried it in person to be certain.

Exactly what I was thinking, its very possible a thief can club you over the head ... Same goes for being drugged ... I'll stick with passcode. I feel its more secure.
If you're seriously concerned about this, what makes you think they won't drug you and make you reveal your passcode? Or that they won't just put a gun to your head and make you give it up that way? And if the information is so sensitive that you're willing to die for it, why the ******* would you put it on your phone in the first place?

They can use your finger against your will, they can't use your password unless you give it to them.
See my previous reply. Will you be willing to die to deny them access? And if so, what are you putting on the phone that could possibly be that important?

If so, then the reader is just a convenience item, not a real security feature... and people can still goof up by using 1234 as a PIN :)
I believe that is a given, Based on the presentation, Apple's concern is not with bulletproof security, but in dealing with the large number of people who don't use any security at all.

No, it's a serious question. I work for a very secret military facility and often carry secret information about weapon systems and attack plans on my iPhone. ...
Of course, this is a joke. If you really had such information, you wouldn't be allowed to tell us you had it. And you certainly wouldn't be allowed to store it on a phone. And you probably wouldn't be allowed to remove the information from its secured facility without using an approved secure courier to deliver it to its destination in another secured facility.

As it is, I'm quite sure that Apple designed this so the phone is actually not capable of sending that information anywhere.
According to Apple, fingerprint data is not accessible by appsand is not transmitted to iCloud. See http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...Forward-Thinking-Smartphone-in-the-World.html.:
...All fingerprint information is encrypted and stored securely in the Secure Enclave inside the A7 chip on the iPhone 5s; it’s never stored on Apple servers or backed up to iCloud®.

They should use this technology for guns.
It's been researched. The big problem is that it's not reliable. You don't want the legitimate owner to be locked out in an emergency.

Additionally, the shock and vibration of firing a gun tends to damage the electronics, so you pretty much only get one or two shots before the gun needs to be serviced. That makes for a pretty lousy experience at the firing range.

There are good reasons not to give a spouse your security code. A common example is when the phone contains confidential business or military information.
I think people here are talking about for your personal phone. Not for something issued by your government or your employer.

I don't know about others, but I never store personal data on my work phone and I never store work data on my personal phone.

(Regarding guns) The folks that think this is such a good idea never ask law enforcement or military. They roundly reject them, due to the lack of guaranteed reliability. Of course, some think it's a great idea for the people that might be shooting at them -- you might want to consider why that is true.
Of course, guns sold illegally on the black market, where they are likely to be used to commit crimes, are not going to have ID chips. And you can be certain that those who resell stolen guns will have the know-how to disable the circuit.

lhays

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
disabling fingerprint

What if i 'teach' a blank to the iphone? that is press a blank paper to it five times in a row. Will it learn to open only with no fingerprint?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
What if i 'teach' a blank to the iphone? that is press a blank paper to it five times in a row. Will it learn to open only with no fingerprint?

It won't learn blanks as far as I can tell. In that case, I'd just use a pass code without any fingerprints registered. Since even if you have the fingerprint enabled, the pass code is always an option to unlock.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
So far, people have successfully trained it to use cat and dog paws.

Anyone try the tip of their nose yet?

(I'm not even going to ask about other body parts. But hmmm... interesting phone to use at nudist colonies.)

It looks like as long as you can get a scan/map of the skin that is large/unique enough, it will work. It isn't so much a fingerprint sensor as a high resolution capacitance sensor that can map detail in the skin. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Critterbug

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Foster City, CA
Fingers less

Yeah - why are implementing something so potentially risky? You mention you doubt it will ever happen - that's naive - it can and will happen in many places around the world. A finger is nothing! They mug people for kidneys everywhere - even places like Manchester, UK - they wouldn't even think twice about taking someone's finger.

Furthermore if they do implement it in cars, house doors, etc. - people are going to be getting their fingers stolen all over the place in all countries. This is crazy. I guess we'll just have to thank our lucky stars they're not implementing retina scanners.

My daughter does unlock her car with her thumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.