Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
No, heavier does not necessarily mean more luxurious and valuable, but quality luxury products are often heavier than cheap versions. Ask any audiophile how to estimate the quality of a home theater reciever, and they'll say "see how heavy it is." Pick up a Rolex and a Timex, and you can tell which one is which blindfolded. Even the dude in Jurassic Park knew how to tell that the night vision goggles were expensive:
"Are they heavy?"
"Yeah."
"Then they're expensive, put 'em back."

All I know is that when I hold an iPhone 5, my impression is "cheap junk."

----------

So, go back and read my post again. Heavier is better. THAT is why I would pay more for the 5c than the 5s.

And yes, I've held the 5 in my hand, that's why I don't own one.
Ah... okay. I guess it didn't dawn on me to read that from the perspective of someone that wanted a heavier phone. Yes. In that case, the 4 and 5C are roughly the same weight. I like the lightness, personally... but I can see why you'd want it to feel like you're actually holding something. It's also almost the same thickness as the 4.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Ah... okay. I guess it didn't dawn on me to read that from the perspective of someone that wanted a heavier phone. Yes. In that case, the 4 and 5C are roughly the same weight. I like the lightness, personally... but I can see why you'd want it to feel like you're actually holding something. It's also almost the same thickness as the 4.

I think that the 5 is a bit slippery and easy to drop. I wonder if this is due to the weight and is it harder to get a grip on than the 4? Just a thought.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I think that the 5 is a bit slippery and easy to drop. I wonder if this is due to the weight and is it harder to get a grip on than the 4? Just a thought.
I dropped mine the second I took it out of the box. I'm never opening an iPhone box again without a case ready. :p

It's pretty slippery... but I'm also a klutz.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I dropped mine the second I took it out of the box. I'm never opening an iPhone box again without a case ready. :p

It's pretty slippery... but I'm also a klutz.

Most people I've talked to say that they find it harder to hold onto, you have to think about it for a second instead of just grabbing it. We bought one for my wife's nephew and I almost dropped it on the floor at the Apple store. :eek:

Maybe the heavier phone will be easier to hang onto? I know the 5 is surprisingly light the first time you pick it up. I understand what the other poster was talking about when he preferred a heavier phone.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
I see you're one of "those" people. Apple doesn't need help selling phones.

Sure thing. All those ads i see on TV and let's not forget the halftime show at the last football championships... those weren't paid by apple. Some good Samaritan must've paid for those.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
No, heavier does not necessarily mean more luxurious and valuable, but quality luxury products are often heavier than cheap versions. Ask any audiophile how to estimate the quality of a home theater reciever, and they'll say "see how heavy it is." Pick up a Rolex and a Timex, and you can tell which one is which blindfolded. Even the dude in Jurassic Park knew how to tell that the night vision goggles were expensive:
"Are they heavy?"
"Yeah."
"Then they're expensive, put 'em back."

All I know is that when I hold an iPhone 5, my impression is "cheap junk."

----------

So, go back and read my post again. Heavier is better. THAT is why I would pay more for the 5c than the 5s.

And yes, I've held the 5 in my hand, that's why I don't own one.

A 1996 computer is heavier than my MBA. Your argument is invalid. You may think that, but it's not the majority of people that have a problem seeing luxury.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
reading the first page of this thread is like reading the old thread when the first ipod came out

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
reading the first page of this thread is like reading the old thread when the first ipod came out

Except now, people have experience with iPhones and there is a mature competition. So the consumer is much more informed in comparison. The complaints are coming from an experience and expectations.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
A 1996 computer is heavier than my MBA. Your argument is invalid. You may think that, but it's not the majority of people that have a problem seeing luxury.

I think luxury was the wrong word for that whole discussion. Seemed it was more about "substantial." But anyway, I remember when the 5 came out, a popular initial reaction was "thinner? Why did they make it thinner? people don't want thinner, we want more battery!"
I'm fine either way--at this point the weight isn't enough to matter to me.

----------

I definitely believe they should've priced the 5C lower.

When have we not said that about a new/updated Apple product? Maybe the shuffle?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I agree with you. Does anyone on this forum really believe Apple will sell fewer iphone 5c then the number of 4s sold last year? Does anyone on this forum really believe that Apple will sell fewer 5s than 5 sold last year? No to both questions. So, more happy customers and more revenue for Apple. What's the problem?

As long as you're happy that Apple is taking money out of your pocket to support their high margins -- there's no problem.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
No one can say the 5s is priced too high unless that person has seen solid sales figures.

No one has seen these figures here. So all the talk is just that, hot air.

And if you want a cheaper iPhone, you got it.eet the 4S. A great phone. I am typing on one right now.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

How about a Haswell chip sized as 1996 computer? Surely would be 10x faster than MBA, no?

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
You got that right. It seems like Samsung is paying their hate teams overtime to troll all the Apple sites.

Funny thing is, these paid Samsung shills are probably American kids who a're trying to bring down an American company in favor of a foreign one - and then probably complain that there are no good jobs out there. Idiots.

Oh the irony.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
lowering the price during the life a product model is not the same as the backtracking they did with the original iphone model. i hope we can agree on that

I agree, I was not implying that it isn't the same. Apple did backtrack, but that was as a consequence of a lack of experience in that product category.

what phones do they sell that costs under $400 unsubsidized?

None, and they don't need to. The vast majority of consumers buy phones as part of a subscription. Especially people with smaller pockets, because it enables them to spread the cost over a longer period of time. With the 4S, 5C and 5S, Apple covers the whole range of price brackets from $0 to $600. Most serious unsubsidized phones in the usability and functionality segment of Apple's iPhone are priced similar. With Apple's product strategy we shouldn't have expected a low quality product at $199 unsubsidized. I can recommend reading the Jobs biography for some good insight in how they set prices and differentiate themselves from the other manufacturers.

i said they have made pricing errors before ie with the original iphone and personally i feel they are making the same here. we will see how it unfolds.

please remember the original post you quoted merely said the phone would be more successful if it was cheaper. do you disagree with the statement that if it was $100-150 cheaper it would do much better than it will end up doing?

It depends on what you define as "doing better". In terms of consumer vantage point, it would sell massively better. No dispute there. Although at some point consumers will expect a lower quality product at those price-points and consumers that are less price sensitive will move to higher priced phones. It's price elasticity. I don't know where you live, but if you live in the USA, you should try to look beyond the borders a bit. It might not be the case that people in the USA are willing to spend loads of money on a phone such as the 5C, but this is different elsewhere. In emerging markets there are now massive middle and upper class segments willing to spend, and the 5C could be aimed squarely at those segments. And the 5C might become cheaper as carriers are willing to let go of part of their hardware margin in favour of securing the consumer as a subscription client.

The other vantage point is Apple's. Apple is known to have a high margin requirement, and it is logical that margins would erode at a price point that you suggest. And there might be room for lowering of the prices. iSupply estimated the component cost at $199 for the iPhone 5. Note that this doesn't include distribution and other operational cost. As the iPhone 5C is similar to the 5, we can expect their costs to be similar. Internals might be a bit cheaper now, but the redesign of the shell and reshuffling of internals might have increased the cost somewhat. So with all the costs added the phone should cost Apple about $300-$350 to make and sell. With the phone costing $549 off contract, the margin could be somewhere around $200-$300, and that's a quite hefty margin. These are just some back of the envelope calculations of course and I might have omitted some things.
The margin will be distributed between Apple and the carrier. We know that the carrier margin is likely not very big, but it should have improved with the increased competition that Apple is facing. The carriers might be prepared to let part of that margin go as I discussed previously.

As I said before, Apple now has a line-up that spreads the entire cost segment from $0 on contract to $800 on contract. A lowering of the 5C price would erode the 4S segment, before Apple has sold off all its 4S stock. It is possible that the 4S will be replaced by the 5C next year and that we will get a 5CS (or whatever) and a 6.

apple is losing marketshare in the smartphone market and unless they want that to continue that trend they imo have to look into the prices of the older/lesser devices

Apple will not be able to reverse that trend. It is simple market lifecycle dynamics. Apple had first mover advantage with the iPhone that held up quite well, but it eroded with increased competition from Android and others. The market has since matured and will continue to mature. There is enough growth potential in other market regions, so in total the smartphone market will continue to grow, but with the incremental innovations that each manufacturer is introducing there will be no big shifts in market share. Apple will need to focus on capturing a portion of each segment, which they are attempting by covering all price brackets, something that they have prepared slowly over the years. The advantage that Apple has is that it now has a premium smartphone that can compete on quality (hardware quality, software quality and usability) in all these segments. Remember that cheaper phones of competitors are buggy, laggy and do not receive software updates. Apple differentiates itself very well within those segments.

With regard to the post I commented on initially. The poster said that the 5C will be unsuccessful because it was priced too high. The poster failed to take into account that the device is not even available in the shops and that it is sold in other markets that the US. A lower price will sell more, I don't dispute that, but the question is whether we from outside can judge whether it is a good strategy for Apple, with the limited knowledge we have about its strategy in each of these regions and the cost basis and margin distribution between its supply chain partners. It's just not that easy.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
How about a Haswell chip sized as 1996 computer? Surely would be 10x faster than MBA, no?

I seriously don't get your viewpoint. So heavier is more luxurious and expensive, right? Well I gave an example of something that is heavy, not luxurious and not expensive. You aren't convincing anyone else of your logic. You can get the cheaper phone if that feels more substantial in your hands, but weight isn't the definition of luxury.

----------

I think luxury was the wrong word for that whole discussion. Seemed it was more about "substantial." But anyway, I remember when the 5 came out, a popular initial reaction was "thinner? Why did they make it thinner? people don't want thinner, we want more battery!"
I'm fine either way--at this point the weight isn't enough to matter to me.

----------

When have we not said that about a new/updated Apple product? Maybe the shuffle?

I agree, substantial is definitely the word that should have been used. And I agree with you again, battery life is ++++1. I have to charge my phone constantly. That's why I'm looking forward to an iPad mini so I can do some reading on it instead of my iPhone.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I agree, I was not implying that it isn't the same. Apple did backtrack, but that was as a consequence of a lack of experience in that product category.

None, and they don't need to. The vast majority of consumers buy phones as part of a subscription. Especially people with smaller pockets, because it enables them to spread the cost over a longer period of time. With the 4S, 5C and 5S, Apple covers the whole range of price brackets from $0 to $600. Most serious unsubsidized phones in the usability and functionality segment of Apple's iPhone are priced similar. With Apple's product strategy we shouldn't have expected a low quality product at $199 unsubsidized. I can recommend reading the Jobs biography for some good insight in how they set prices and differentiate themselves from the other manufacturers.

has apple ever released on contract sales vs non contract sales?

i cannot agree with your that they have phones that go from $0-600 when it has that contact caveat. ive always had the same view on the older/lesser devices and their price. as an investment its crazy to pay apple that x amount less and get a much lesser device. nobody is talking about a low quality phone. just as the quality of the original iphone didnt dip when they lowered the price. nobody is talking about a $200 crap. the $300-400 range is fine. i read it but the iphone 5s is still the original iphone compared to its competitors rather than the current mba vs its competitors.

lets also remember that one of products that saved apple was the imac which at the time and to this day is decently priced considering everything and compared to its competitors.

It depends on what you define as "doing better". In terms of consumer vantage point, it would sell massively better. No dispute there. Although at some point consumers will expect a lower quality product at those price-points and consumers that are less price sensitive will move to higher priced phones. It's price elasticity. I don't know where you live, but if you live in the USA, you should try to look beyond the borders a bit. It might not be the case that people in the USA are willing to spend loads of money on a phone such as the 5C, but this is different elsewhere. In emerging markets there are now massive middle and upper class segments willing to spend, and the 5C could be aimed squarely at those segments. And the 5C might become cheaper as carriers are willing to let go of part of their hardware margin in favour of securing the consumer as a subscription client.

The other vantage point is Apple's. Apple is known to have a high margin requirement, and it is logical that margins would erode at a price point that you suggest. And there might be room for lowering of the prices. iSupply estimated the component cost at $199 for the iPhone 5. Note that this doesn't include distribution and other operational cost. As the iPhone 5C is similar to the 5, we can expect their costs to be similar. Internals might be a bit cheaper now, but the redesign of the shell and reshuffling of internals might have increased the cost somewhat. So with all the costs added the phone should cost Apple about $300-$350 to make and sell. With the phone costing $549 off contract, the margin could be somewhere around $200-$300, and that's a quite hefty margin. These are just some back of the envelope calculations of course and I might have omitted some things.
The margin will be distributed between Apple and the carrier. We know that the carrier margin is likely not very big, but it should have improved with the increased competition that Apple is facing. The carriers might be prepared to let part of that margin go as I discussed previously.

As I said before, Apple now has a line-up that spreads the entire cost segment from $0 on contract to $800 on contract. A lowering of the 5C price would erode the 4S segment, before Apple has sold off all its 4S stock. It is possible that the 4S will be replaced by the 5C next year and that we will get a 5CS (or whatever) and a 6.

in the $300-400 (before tax) i dont think anyone expects crap. its a good chunk of money

i live in europe and the 5s and 5c will be painfully close in price. and there will be no reason whatsoever to buy the 5c.

i think you are very generous in your calculating of the cost price of the 5c. i dont think its fair to combine the cost of the 5 and 5c. then you might as well as add the cost of every iphone release to the 5s.

Apple will not be able to reverse that trend. It is simple market lifecycle dynamics. Apple had first mover advantage with the iPhone that held up quite well, but it eroded with increased competition from Android and others. The market has since matured and will continue to mature. There is enough growth potential in other market regions, so in total the smartphone market will continue to grow, but with the incremental innovations that each manufacturer is introducing there will be no big shifts in market share. Apple will need to focus on capturing a portion of each segment, which they are attempting by covering all price brackets, something that they have prepared slowly over the years. The advantage that Apple has is that it now has a premium smartphone that can compete on quality (hardware quality, software quality and usability) in all these segments. Remember that cheaper phones of competitors are buggy, laggy and do not receive software updates. Apple differentiates itself very well within those segments.

With regard to the post I commented on initially. The poster said that the 5C will be unsuccessful because it was priced too high. The poster failed to take into account that the device is not even available in the shops and that it is sold in other markets that the US. A lower price will sell more, I don't dispute that, but the question is whether we from outside can judge whether it is a good strategy for Apple, with the limited knowledge we have about its strategy in each of these regions and the cost basis and margin distribution between its supply chain partners. It's just not that easy.

why should other market regions be any different? apple loses marketshare because they are too slow and too rigid.

apple prices themselves out of a alot of people hands and their prices for older/lesser devices is imo crazy.

you are acting like the 5c is priced so much cheaper than the 5s that it gives them this crazy range. i massively disagree with you there.

we have as much info to judge that as anything else discussed here. i just put on my buying hat and think what would i do

Here is his original post

The 5C could have been a best-seller as a second-tier phone if Apple had nailed the optimal price-point.... in other words, it could have been the spiritual successor to the iPhone 4/4S. Unfortunately, it seems like they priced it a bit too high.

The 5S, on the other hand, might do very well. The main problem may simply be they can't produce it fast enough to meet initial demand. A temporary problem for the first couple of months.

i think you misread things.

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I seriously don't get your viewpoint. So heavier is more luxurious and expensive, right? Well I gave an example of something that is heavy, not luxurious and not expensive. You aren't convincing anyone else of your logic. You can get the cheaper phone if that feels more substantial in your hands, but weight isn't the definition of luxury.

A slab of iron is nowhere near as luxury as an ounce of gold. So yes, while heavier does not always indicate or measure of how luxurious an item really is, but you should compare two relevant things.

A computer box from 1990s is huge, old and slow, while something like MBA is sleek, fast and modern.
At least you should compare a huge modern computer with that. Same age, same development time.

Now let's back to iPhone. If Apple kept the 4S concept of glass/stainless steel design and bring it to the 5/5S, only with longer form factor.

Would it be heavier than what it is today? Sure.
Would it be nicer to look at and hold? Definitely.
Would it be more substantial and luxurious than it is today? Very much so.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
A slab of iron is nowhere near as luxury as an ounce of gold. So yes, while heavier does not always indicate or measure of how luxurious an item really is, but you should compare two relevant things.

A computer box from 1990s is huge, old and slow, while something like MBA is sleek, fast and modern.
At least you should compare a huge modern computer with that. Same age, same development time.

Now let's back to iPhone. If Apple kept the 4S concept of glass/stainless steel design and bring it to the 5/5S, only with longer form factor.

Would it be heavier than what it is today? Sure.
Would it be nicer to look at and hold? Definitely.
Would it be more substantial and luxurious than it is today? Very much so.

Heavier, yes.
Nicer to hold and look at? Nope. I don't like looking at the same design for more than 2 years.

You said the 5c is more luxurious, not a elongated iPhone 4. The 5c is not luxurious and is meant to go to the masses while the luxurious metal back is higher priced. Acid green vs gold ? Hands down the metal.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Heavier, yes.
Nicer to hold and look at? Nope. I don't like looking at the same design for more than 2 years.

You said the 5c is more luxurious, not a elongated iPhone 4. The 5c is not luxurious and is meant to go to the masses while the luxurious metal back is higher priced. Acid green vs gold ? Hands down the metal.

I never wrote 5C being more luxurious. I hate 5C colors and choice of polycarbonate.

I said 5S would be more substantial if only it uses elongated 4S design. Keep the material and concept intact. IMO the 4 and 4S is a reference design even Apple decided to keep the concept with the 5 and 5S, too bad they use Aluminum instead of keep the stainless steel. And great design lasts forever

g88bo

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013

Your argument is invalid. You're comparing two products from a different time, while he compares two things from the same time period.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003

yeah. Also, for me, as a matter of practicality, I carry my iPhone in my front pants or jeans pocket, and the weight always reminds me that I have it and haven't forgotten it somewhere. Just like my wallet, the weight becomes an expected presence and I'm instantly aware when it is missing. I'm worried that with the 5 or 5S, I would lose some of that because it's so light! :)

----------

I don't see how someone's opinion can be "invalid" - I never said a majority of people felt that way about the iPhone, only that I did.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Nope. The iPhone 5c has the better spec on weight at .7 ounces heavier than the 5s. So pay more for the 5s, which feels like lightweight junk, or get the higher-quality feeling 5c at a lower price. Easy choice.

Each to their own I guess. For me the lighter the better. If you want to make it heavier just add a case. Like I said I think the 5C is priced too close to the 5S. Let's just see how many 5C's they sell shall we.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.