Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I feel that since I have moved over to iOS I no longer have to be in the spec war

Totally agree. I was a sucker for the spec war when I had an android phone, but because apple don't play that game, I don't really care now. It's all about real world efficiency :cool:

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
It is personal decision, but if you have mac, ipad or other apple devices you should wait and get the iphone, if you have devices that are working with android go for the s4 :)

IO01

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I had the 4S (and all my data backed up in iTunes), tons of apps, quite a few books and iTunes Match. Not to mention that I also have an Air and an iMac, which makes me think that I am tied in to the ecosystem.

It's funny, I never thought of buying the S4 when I had my 4S but now that I don't have a phone, I've been spending most of my time drooling over S4 video reviews online.

I guess in the end, like you, I might end up buying the 5S, but I am very susceptible to buying an S4 right now; if you put me in Best Buy, I WILL buy it. Guess, I'll have to have someone cuff me to my desk until Friday...
For me the S4 was never under consideration. When it was released I had already bought the Note 2, and the S4 has a pentile screen. (I tend to obsess over little things. While the pentile on S4's large screen is less of an issue, the fact that it still has it was enough of a reason for me not to get the S4.)

If you are that tied to the ecosystem, then it's pretty clear that you should wait for the 5S. (Not sure why you made the thread in the first place.) I too had the 4S, but I jumped ship when the 5 came out. But I only had a handful of apps (mostly free). I realized that there were some features that I want but wouldn't see on an iPhone (microSD & removable battery to name two).

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
6 days?

Go outside the US, some are waiting for an additional 2 or 3 months.

Can't u get a cheap $50 phone ?

Borrow one?

S4 is wonderful. Get it.

5S will be tons better tho. You'll use it longer for sure (Samsung uses cheaper materials to make).

But since you are inclined to lose things, I don't know. Good luck

----------

Totally agree. I was a sucker for the spec war when I had an android phone, but because apple don't play that game, I don't really care now. It's all about real world efficiency :cool:

If you can't trust specs and numbers, what can you trust?

I'm not sure if you do things on gut instinct and experience or by the numbers and factual numbers, but I'm sure your conclusions can be debated. Whereas numbers and fact make debates short and decisive.

Battery time? RAM? Speed? MegaPixels? loadtime? startup/shutdown speed?

Not sure what game you don't play, but perhaps checking out numbers and specs and give a bit of information instead of "I love my apple! It looks so cool!"

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Why should I stop you from buying a better phone?
He wants to by the 5s. That is the better phone. He wants you stop him buying the inferior phone.

Go get the s4 and enjoy it.
The original poster probably won't enjoy that.

The 5s is a joke. Fingerprint scanner? Welcome to 2011 apple!
Only to those with closed eyes. The 5s is amazing tech.

64 bit? On a phone without more than 4gb of ram what's the point
It's a way into the future. If you think ram is the only reason to go 64 bit then you really need to read up on what 64 bit does.

swpars

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Seattle, WA
My phone (perhaps fortuitously) went missing last week and I need to buy a new phone. There's only 6 more days until the 5S comes out and I know that's what I want but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I've become strangely excited by the prospect of rebelling against myself and buying an S4. The thought that I could control my TV and air conditioner from my bed with the S4 is also increasingly attractive.

Please STOP ME.

You'll be stuck with Touchwiz, which will become laggy and more bloated over time.

There will be some who will say "No problem - root your phone!" Well on a Samsung Android phone, that voids your warranty.

Samsung AMOLED displays are useless outdoors on non-cloudy days, even when cranked up to battery-killing maximum brightness. This is bad enough in Seattle. If I lived somewhere like San Diego or Austin, it'd be awful.

Source: I bought a Galaxy S III because of the Maps fiasco. I wish I hadn't.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
OP: Man up!!

Patience, my son. I have a S4, jumped to it from the Ip5. Previously, I had an Ip4 and jumped to the S3. The S4 is a wonderful phone, but I am looking forward to coming back to the Ip5S.

Fly from NY to New Zealand, go to sleep, wake up and fly back. When you land on Thursday night, go directly to the Apple store and wait in line.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
You'll be stuck with Touchwiz, which will become laggy and more bloated over time.

There will be some who will say "No problem - root your phone!" Well on a Samsung Android phone, that voids your warranty.

Samsung AMOLED displays are useless outdoors on non-cloudy days, even when cranked up to battery-killing maximum brightness. This is bad enough in Seattle. If I lived somewhere like San Diego or Austin, it'd be awful.

I have a S2 and rooted it because I'm quite techy and wanted to try some ROMs out (also loathe Touchwiz, stock Android looks so much better). At first loved the freedom compared to my previous phone, a 3Gs. A lot more customisation options and it felt more like using a proper computer rather than a device.

Fast forward to now and have to say I'm disenchanted with Android. Official support for OS updates feels glacial, you have to wait till they manufacturer and your carrier decide to release it. As far as I can tell the most recent version my phone supports officially is 4.1.2. My 4 year old 3Gs will only become officially not supported on Wednesday when iOS 7 comes out.

Now I am running 4.3 courtesy of CyanogenMod, but get a whole load of glitches (most current one is the torch turns itself on and then the handset reboots), and some bad battery life.

Android is way too fragmented and it will be quite a relief to go back to iPhone with the 5s, for a nice stable environment that gets updates on the day of release, and most importantly I can't mess around with.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
My phone (perhaps fortuitously) went missing last week and I need to buy a new phone. There's only 6 more days until the 5S comes out and I know that's what I want but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I've become strangely excited by the prospect of rebelling against myself and buying an S4. The thought that I could control my TV and air conditioner from my bed with the S4 is also increasingly attractive.

Please STOP ME.

There should really be SA (smarthphoneaholics anonymous) meetings :rolleyes:

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

Please STOP ME.

Galaxy Note 3? I'm holding out for that, although I don't know if it even falls in the phone category anymore.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Not sure what game you don't play, but perhaps checking out numbers and specs and give a bit of information instead of "I love my apple! It looks so cool!"

My bad, let me clarify.

When I had an Android phone, I always used HTC. the first one I got was the HTC Desire. Then the HTC Sensation came out with a 1.2Ghz Dual-Core processor, and I just "had" to get it because logically, Android would run much better on it.

Then the HTC One S & X came out with a greater clock speed and/or a quad-core cpu and more RAM, and I just "had" to get one of those because logically, it would run Android much better.

I think it's partially down to Android being so fragmented that OEMs have to compensate with raw power, but since jumping back to iPhone & iOS I've not been too concerned with the "my phone's got a quad-core cpu and yours hasn't" debate, because Apple's software and hardware is optimised well enough that it doesn't become much of an issue.

Basically, you can buy an iPhone without the fear that in 6-12 months time your handset will suddenly stop getting software updates and become outdated by a shiny new octa-core cpu that developers will prioritise. Software support for the HTC One S was discontinued after just 1 year for example, while Apple generally keep supporting hardware for 3 years.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
The 5s is a far from a joke. This type of finger print recognition on a phone didn't exist in 2011. Or 2012. It's new and its extremely nice, fast and a welcome way to secure your phone rather the pass code alternative

Nor do you understand 64 bit computing.

To the OP...you don't mention the phone you '...lost'? Are you tied Into the iOS system? Apps, movies, books and magazines, et al? If not, give it a shot. You'll know within the return period (if you've been an iOS user) whether or not you'll want to hang on to the s4 for two more years.

IMO, The iPhone 5s is an excellent update to the 5. It's also a different idea and philosophy in comparison to the s4---as is iOS period. I own both an iPhone 5 and Galaxy Note. I like them both quite a bit....but if it ultimately came down to one or the other, my iPhone isn't going anywhere. We've got the 4s (wife) and I the 5. We'll be buying a 5s next week...and selling the 4s to subsidize the subsidized cost ;)
J

If you say so.

It's bad enough the android community prides themselves on specs, didn't think apple would go that route.

64 bit is just not needed on a phone. Especially wince it doesn't have much ram.

And yes, the 5s is an unfunny joke.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Interesting proposition, but I am kind of wary of doing that because I might grow to like the S4 over the two weeks I have it, only to get iPhone envy a month or so after that when The Woman gets one. Aargggh.

Do you happen to have any spare phones you could activate in the meantime? I actually just sold my S4 in anticipation of the iPhone because it was NOT a good phone at ALL. For such great hardware, it performed horribly. Ironically, I'm currently using the original Galaxy S while I wait for the 5S to be released.

If you'd REALLY like a detailed write-up of why the S4 wasn't a good phone, let me know and I'll PM you. Guarantee that after you read my write-up, you won't want the S4.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007

Please STOP ME.

WE FORBID you from crossing to the dark side.

Do not cross go.
Bad doggie
Bad robot
Bad BOY!

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
If you're going Android, get the HTC One. It's better than the S4. Less issues than Samsung. I think that phone has the perfect size and fits great in your hand. I hope the iPhone 6 imitates the HTC One.

If I could use iOS on the One I'd get the phone.

Bryanw3535

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
Official support for OS updates feels glacial, you have to wait till they manufacturer and your carrier decide to release it.

This. I currently have an HTC One. Neat phone. Beautiful, too.

But I'm going back to the Apple side. iPhone 5s for me.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
This. I currently have an HTC One. Neat phone. Beautiful, too.

But I'm going back to the Apple side. iPhone 5s for me.

It's just as bad with the S4 on Verizon. And Samsung is actually GOOD with updates compared to most Android manufacturers. I too am going back to Apple and will be at the Apple store bright and early on Friday to buy my 5s.

----------

I have a S2 and rooted it because I'm quite techy and wanted to try some ROMs out (also loathe Touchwiz, stock Android looks so much better). At first loved the freedom compared to my previous phone, a 3Gs. A lot more customisation options and it felt more like using a proper computer rather than a device.

Fast forward to now and have to say I'm disenchanted with Android. Official support for OS updates feels glacial, you have to wait till they manufacturer and your carrier decide to release it. As far as I can tell the most recent version my phone supports officially is 4.1.2. My 4 year old 3Gs will only become officially not supported on Wednesday when iOS 7 comes out.

Now I am running 4.3 courtesy of CyanogenMod, but get a whole load of glitches (most current one is the torch turns itself on and then the handset reboots), and some bad battery life.

Android is way too fragmented and it will be quite a relief to go back to iPhone with the 5s, for a nice stable environment that gets updates on the day of release, and most importantly I can't mess around with.

This really sums up how I felt quite nicely. When I first got it flashing ROM after ROM was fun, but then it just became annoying. And don't even get me started on Touchwiz.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Somebody has to buy those frakkin things... you're elected, get a purse.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA

Ditto on the AMOLED displays. Looks so nice and vibrant, but outdoors it's barely visible. And do I have to mention again how bad Touchwiz is? :)

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
To op- you can get the s4( but I recommend htc one or lg g2 over it) and if you don't like it just return it. If you have had a iPhone in the past then the question for you is it worth getting essentially the same phone but faster processor and finger print scanner or do you want to try something different and get to know android instead of getting another iPhone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Pass on the S4. I went from an iPhone 5 to an S4, and it's not all peaches and cream like club android would have you believe.

Trust me, wait for the 5S. I wish I had.

Though I'm most likely going to trade my GS4 for a gold 5S before the year is over.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
If he's looking for a worthy Android phone and can't get the Nexus 4 because he's on Verizon, I'd suggest the Moto X. Like the iPhone, it doesn't have the best specs, but the performance and experience is damn good. I played with it in the store and its a beautiful phone and performs wonderfully, not to mention it feels great in the hand. If I was going to stay with Android, that'd be the phone I'd get.

Savvy912

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
if he's looking for a worthy android phone and can't get the nexus 4 because he's on verizon, i'd suggest the moto x. Like the iphone, it doesn't have the best specs, but the performance and experience is damn good. I played with it in the store and its a beautiful phone and performs wonderfully, not to mention it feels great in the hand. If i was going to stay with android, that'd be the phone i'd get.

+1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.