Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi
I'm trying to export my current iCal to google calendar. I have gone to iCal on my Mac mini and exported the ics file to desktop. Problem is. When I import it to google calendar it says zero events imported. In iCal I can see lots of items (almost every day). What am I doing wrong?

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Hi
I'm trying to export my current iCal to google calendar. I have gone to iCal on my Mac mini and exported the ics file to desktop. Problem is. When I import it to google calendar it says zero events imported. In iCal I can see lots of items (almost every day). What am I doing wrong?

I just tried it. It said imported x amount of entries but they don't show up on the calendar..

Last edited:

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Its doing my head in. I've been on I phones since the first and been a mobileme user since it launched. Decided to switch to a nexus4 recently and actually enjoying the change (I'm no apple fanboy nor am I a fandroid) but this is the last bit that's causing a headache. My wife uses iCal all the time to remember kids sports clubs etc and she is getting her nexus on Monday (she was impressed too) and she will be annoyed if she has to re enter all of those.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Its doing my head in. I've been on I phones since the first and been a mobileme user since it launched. Decided to switch to a nexus4 recently and actually enjoying the change (I'm no apple fanboy nor am I a fandroid) but this is the last bit that's causing a headache. My wife uses iCal all the time to remember kids sports clubs etc and she is getting her nexus on Monday (she was impressed too) and she will be annoyed if she has to re enter all of those.

OK, I think I figured it out.

When you open up Calendar on your Mac you need to export each section separately. Mine are listed under iCloud. I have Home, Work and School. I right-clicked on School, exported it and it imported into Google Calendar perfectly.

Give that a shot. I'm not sure what to do when you add something to the iCal calendar, but I assume the worst case is that you export/import again to update it.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Sorry to be a pain but can you explain each step? When I go to export it only gives me option of exporting calendar. No sections or choices

EDIT: never mind. I figured it out. HOWEVER under calendars I see 1 under "on my mac" called "calendar" and 2 under my email address "calendar" and "home"

Should I export all 3 or is the on my mac calendar a duplicate if my iCloud 2 (don't want everything duplicated!)

Last edited:

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Sorry to be a pain but can you explain each step? When I go to export it only gives me option of exporting calendar. No sections or choices

EDIT: never mind. I figured it out. HOWEVER under calendars I see 1 under "on my mac" called "calendar" and 2 under my email address "calendar" and "home"

Should I export all 3 or is the on my mac calendar a duplicate if my iCloud 2 (don't want everything duplicated!)

For me, the only ones that worked were the ones under iCloud. I'd export all 3, but import one at a time. I'd bet the one named "calendar" doesn't show up.

In the picture, these are the calendars I have. The ones under iCloud are the ones I can import into Google. Now that the iCloud calendars are loaded into Google, checking the Gmail account box at the top results in everything showing up twice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 3.25.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 3.25.00 AM.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 203
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.