Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainCoconut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
At the moment I have a macbook pro early 2011, 15 inch, the standard version.
It has a 2GHz i7, 4gb DDR3 and a AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB.

I'm thinking about selling it, and buying a 13 inch macbook air. The 128gb version, for sure with the 8gb ram upgrade, and I think without the i7 upgrade.

I'm guessing that it will be an upgrade performance wise, but I'm not sure about the gpu, can anyone confirm this?

In OS X I'm not planning to use any heavy programs. But I do want to be able to play a game sometimes on a windows partition (bootcamp). Will the new macbook air be an upgrade or a downgrade gaming wise? (if it is the same, it's good enough for me.)

At the moment the games I want to play I run in bootcamp run smooth enough for me. I have windows installed on the HD in the macbook, and the games installed on an external HD. With the air I think I might be installing windows on the external completely, or is that a stupid idea?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

According to this scorecard the hd5000 is rated as the 269th most powerful, and the closest I can find on the list to yours, the radeon 6470m, is rated at the 368th.

Notebookcheck.com listed them both as "Low-Midrange Graphics Cards
Modern games should be playable with these graphics cards at low settings and resolutions. Casual gamers may be happy with these cards." HD5000 rated at 196th and the Radeon at 273rd respectively on their list of the most powerful GPU's.

Since they're both roughly in the same range, maybe you could pop for 8gb or more ram and an ssd in your current system and wait to see what broadwell brings to the table next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.