Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
is this true this is from applestore.com chat but they were not able to confirm since they do online business only.

Now Chatting with Ross

Hello from Apple! What can I do for you today?

question I want to trade in at my local apple retail store iPhone 5 from t-mobile can I do the trade using the new trade in policy but how dose this work for t-mobile customers? since they don't do contracts?

No problem at all! We'll totally be able to take your iPhone in.

I'll send you a link to get an estimate for the value.

All you have to do is come into the Apple Store when you're ready to make the trade.

I though though you had to walk out with a new iPhone with a contract though?

Not at all. If you wanted to stick with T-Mobile, we'll have those available to you at the stores, too.

CLICK HERE FOR IPHONE RECYCLE

oh though the once at the store I would only have the option for full retial and no eip plans?

What you could honestly do is get the SIM card taken out of your iPhone and placed into the new one and walk out of the store talking on your phone right away.

huh can I get more details? I have the iPhone 5 and the trade in value is $280 and the t-mobile/unlocked version is $650?

The best way to go is to head straight into the Apple Store.

We've kind of been leaving the whole trade-in program entirely up to them.

Our recycle program is a bit different, which is what you're seeing now.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Customer receives a gift card that must go toward the purchase of an iPhone on contract with a carrier. That is all I know.

Incorrect. You don't have to be on a contract. You just have to activate a line.

So yes you go in and do the trade in, they out the value on a gift card that is redeemed right away against the cost of the full price line activated phone. You pay the rest and you are good to go.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Incorrect. You don't have to be on a contract. You just have to activate a line.

So yes you go in and do the trade in, they out the value on a gift card that is redeemed right away against the cost of the full price line activated phone. You pay the rest and you are good to go.

Incorrect, unless they have changed the policy and no one covered it, you need to be on a contract to walk out w/ your new phone. If not, show me.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Fact:

If the iPhone you want is out of stock or unavailable, you will not be able to trade-in your old iPhone. The whole process has to happen at the same time. You go in with an activated phone and walk out with an activated phone.

No exceptions.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Incorrect, unless they have changed the policy and no one covered it, you need to be on a contract to walk out w/ your new phone. If not, show me.

It was never the policy that trade ins have to be on contract (which is impossible with tmobile at the Apple store). Just activated on a line. Which is not the same thing as being on contract.

But hey believe what you want, those that have been around know how trust worthy I am about this kind of thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.