Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Help urgent. I turned off my iphone 5 using assist to reboot it but now I'm unable to turn it on cause my power button is not working. Is there a way to turn on the phone without using the power button?

I know my phone is in good working order just the power button is not working. Someone please help me!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ifs its off, then there's no way to turn it on w/o the power button. If the screen is off, then connecting it to your computer may wake it back up but as I said if you're in the middle of a reboot sequence and now the power button is not functioning then your SOL

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ifs its off, then there's no way to turn it on w/o the power button. If the screen is off, then connecting it to your computer may wake it back up but as I said if you're in the middle of a reboot sequence and now the power button is not functioning then your SOL
Not true.

Plugging it into a power source will cause it to boot up ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not true.

Even if the battery isn't depleted? I know it will if the battery is dead but if the battery is not exhausted?

Edit: Just tried it myself - I stand corrected. Plugging it into the computer or a power source will work

Sorry for the mis-information

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Even if the battery isn't depleted? I know it will if the battery is dead but if the battery is not exhausted?

Edit: Just tried it myself - I stand corrected. Plugging it into the computer or a power source will work

Sorry for the mis-information

Yep that annoying thing that people all moan about having to power there phone off at night after plugging the power in is actually a bypass feature ;)

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
So what am I suppose to do now? Just plug it into a power source will turn it back up? I'm outside now so I can only try it later but I need to turn that phone on ASAP!

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Ok guys i just plug it in and it turns back up!!!! Thanks guys!!! I was at the verge of a mental breakdown. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

farheen

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
please help

I have a similar problem.. I have been trying to switch on my iPhone 5 by plugging it in, I also tried to connect it to iTunes.. but the phone is not turning on.. Guys please help, its urgent..

----------

Not true.

Hi.. Even I was trying to reboot my iphone 5 by pressing the home and power buttons simultaneously. The phone got off, but it is not turning on because of power button failure. I connected my phone to itunes, as well as i connected to the power source, but it is not switching on.. What should i do..?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I have a similar problem.. I have been trying to switch on my iPhone 5 by plugging it in, I also tried to connect it to iTunes.. but the phone is not turning on.. Guys please help, its urgent..

----------

Hi.. Even I was trying to reboot my iphone 5 by pressing the home and power buttons simultaneously. The phone got off, but it is not turning on because of power button failure. I connected my phone to itunes, as well as i connected to the power source, but it is not switching on.. What should i do..?

Plug it in and leave it. iOS won't boot till there is enough charge to complete a boot to stop the os becoming corrupt.

farheen

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Plug it in and leave it. iOS won't boot till there is enough charge to complete a boot to stop the os becoming corrupt.

ok i hope it would work.. but do u know approximately how much time it needs..? or how much battery charge it requires..?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
ok i hope it would work.. but do u know approximately how much time it needs..? or how much battery charge it requires..?

3% and it could take upto an hour using the iPhone charger a bit less with the larger ipad charger. Depleting the battery completely is bad for it hence the long pull back time. Once it does boot it'll charge normally

farheen

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
3% and it could take upto an hour using the iPhone charger a bit less with the larger ipad charger. Depleting the battery completely is bad for it hence the long pull back time. Once it does boot it'll charge normally

But when i was trying to reboot it, it already had more than 3% of battery.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
But when i was trying to reboot it, it already had more than 3% of battery.

The battery indicator is just a rough guide. Many things effect the battery temperature being the biggest factor. Just leave it plugged in. If it fails to boot after an hour you'll need to goto apple

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
Once it's on there shouldn't be a way to turn it off unless it runs out of battery, one would assume.

I'd get it fixed if I were you.

farheen

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
The battery indicator is just a rough guide. Many things effect the battery temperature being the biggest factor. Just leave it plugged in. If it fails to boot after an hour you'll need to goto apple

alright thanks a lot for the info.. :)
Just one more question.. If it does not reboot, is there any way for me to save the data..? because i have not backed up the phone since long, n i have important data inside the phone..

----------

Once it's on there shouldn't be a way to turn it off unless it runs out of battery, one would assume.

I'd get it fixed if I were you.

the left side of my power button used to work, and the right side was too hard. so i pressed left side n home button, which turned off the phone, but it is not getting on now. I will get it fixed, but i just want it to turn on once atleast so that i can take a back up..

farheen

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
is anyone of you aware of the tinyumbrella software..? my phone is still under the warranty period.. should i use tiny umbrella to restore my iphone instead of itunes so that i dont lose any data, or will it cancel my warranty..?

----------

anyways guys thanks for the comments n ur help.. my phone has started without losing any data, using the tiny umbrella software.. now the first thing i ll do is back up my phone, n then get it fixed from apple.. thanks once again guys, specially gav2k.. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.