Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I have a macbook tiger 10.4.11 which I believe should be upgraded to snow leopard, which I have just purchased, but not installed yet as disc only goes into macbook for a few seconds then just sends it back out. I purchased snow leopard for the fact I want to transfer my itunes to my new iphone 4, when I first got my iphone 4 just a few weeks ago, I plugged iphone into macbook and was informed that it couldn't do request, as it should be upgraded to a newer program. I have since noticed my blue tooth at top of screen has now changed to a sort of sqiggle line, when checking utilities and blue tooth, its stating no bluetooth hardware found. When I put in my football manager disc it works fine, if I put in a music cd works fine, if I put in blank disc for burning disc will just get put out after a few seconds like the snow leopard disc. My main question is.......Would it be possible to just put my macbook back to factory settings, which my fix these faults as I feel it must be something I have done to cause this, and with being a novice not got a clue on how to fix it, which maybe something simple. I would basically like to wipe computer clean, I don't have my original discs, but have seen on you tube how to basically clean your macbook to scratch without disc. Then after its clean, try and install snow leopard and hopefully all these little problems may be rectified with computer putting everything back to scratch. I understand I would basically loss all my data, but I'm sort of stuck at the moment with not being able to put in certain disks as they just come back out.

Cheers for any advice
Dave

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have a macbook tiger 10.4.11 which I believe should be upgraded to snow leopard, which I have just purchased, but not installed yet as disc only goes into macbook for a few seconds then just sends it back out. I purchased snow leopard for the fact I want to transfer my itunes to my new iphone 4, when I first got my iphone 4 just a few weeks ago, I plugged iphone into macbook and was informed that it couldn't do request, as it should be upgraded to a newer program. I have since noticed my blue tooth at top of screen has now changed to a sort of sqiggle line, when checking utilities and blue tooth, its stating no bluetooth hardware found. When I put in my football manager disc it works fine, if I put in a music cd works fine, if I put in blank disc for burning disc will just get put out after a few seconds like the snow leopard disc. My main question is.......Would it be possible to just put my macbook back to factory settings, which my fix these faults as I feel it must be something I have done to cause this, and with being a novice not got a clue on how to fix it, which maybe something simple. I would basically like to wipe computer clean, I don't have my original discs, but have seen on you tube how to basically clean your macbook to scratch without disc. Then after its clean, try and install snow leopard and hopefully all these little problems may be rectified with computer putting everything back to scratch. I understand I would basically loss all my data, but I'm sort of stuck at the moment with not being able to put in certain disks as they just come back out.

Cheers for any advice
Dave

Here are some things to try...

I would contact Apple for replacement Tiger (or whatever) disks that came with your machine.

Can you try creating a new user, then log out and log in as that new user. Insert the SL disk as that new user and see if it immediately pops out.

Can you try booting with the SL disk in your machine? Hold down option and pick the SL disk to boot from.

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Here are some things to try...

I would contact Apple for replacement Tiger (or whatever) disks that came with your machine.

Can you try creating a new user, then log out and log in as that new user. Insert the SL disk as that new user and see if it immediately pops out.

Can you try booting with the SL disk in your machine? Hold down option and pick the SL disk to boot from.

cheers r0k.........not sure what you mean by login and log out as different user, as I am a novice at the technical stuff, just like things to be press a button and everything fine. I have not installed snow leopard yet as it just comes back out within seconds, so not sure if it would be possible to reboot with disk in, as its only in a few seconds before it comes back out

Cheers Dave

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
cheers r0k.........not sure what you mean by login and log out as different user, as I am a novice at the technical stuff, just like things to be press a button and everything fine. I have not installed snow leopard yet as it just comes back out within seconds, so not sure if it would be possible to reboot with disk in, as its only in a few seconds before it comes back out

Cheers Dave

In system preferences, click on users. Click on the padlock to "make changes". Create a new user and call it "test" if you like. You should give the user an easy to remember password so you can log in as "test" later. It can be a "standard" user or an "admin" user. It makes no difference for this test. Once you have created the new user, you should log out and when you get to the login screen, log in as the "test" user you just created. While logged in as "test" insert the Snow Leopard disk and see if it simply pops back out. If it pops out when you are logged in as test, it could mean the disk is damaged or that your CD/DVD drive is defective and can only play certain disks. It could also mean that there is something seriously messed up with your install of OSX Tiger and I would then move on to requesting a replacement disk for your machine from Apple.

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
In system preferences, click on users. Click on the padlock to "make changes". Create a new user and call it "test" if you like. You should give the user an easy to remember password so you can log in as "test" later. It can be a "standard" user or an "admin" user. It makes no difference for this test. Once you have created the new user, you should log out and when you get to the login screen, log in as the "test" user you just created. While logged in as "test" insert the Snow Leopard disk and see if it simply pops back out. If it pops out when you are logged in as test, it could mean the disk is damaged or that your CD/DVD drive is defective and can only play certain disks. It could also mean that there is something seriously messed up with your install of OSX Tiger and I would then move on to requesting a replacement disk for your machine from Apple.

Just one thing I would like to add before I try this create new id, just to see if there is a problem with disk drive. When I switch on laptop, I never have to put in password or anything, it just automatically goes to homepage. Does that change anything regarding what user I am?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Just one thing I would like to add before I try this create new id, just to see if there is a problem with disk drive. When I switch on laptop, I never have to put in password or anything, it just automatically goes to homepage. Does that change anything regarding what user I am?

It means you have automatic login set up. Take a quick screen shot of system preferences users screen and let's see what is already there. Based on that I can make a more specific recommendation. Do you know your password (even if you never have to enter it?) Of course no need to post usernames or passwords here but I just want to make sure 1) your account is an admin account and 2) you know your own admin password. I'd hate to do something hasty that causes you to get locked out of your Mac. Even if you already have other user accounts on your Mac, I'd like you to make a brand new one so we know that a SL install disk gets spit out regardless of what user is logged in at the time.

BTW, before we go any further, do you get an error when the disk gets spit out? I would go to Applications/Utilities and run Console. With console running and visible on the screen, pop in your SL disk and wait for it to spit out. Watch what shows up in console (text) when the disk is being spit out.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Do you have all the updates for Tiger? Gosh, I wonder if you'd get the some results with Leopard?

I'm pretty sure you're missing a heck of a lot of firmware updates and SuperDrive upgrades that is the issue.

I would run Console too like r0k said.

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
It means you have automatic login set up. Take a quick screen shot of system preferences users screen and let's see what is already there. Based on that I can make a more specific recommendation. Do you know your password (even if you never have to enter it?) Of course no need to post usernames or passwords here but I just want to make sure 1) your account is an admin account and 2) you know your own admin password. I'd hate to do something hasty that causes you to get locked out of your Mac. Even if you already have other user accounts on your Mac, I'd like you to make a brand new one so we know that a SL install disk gets spit out regardless of what user is logged in at the time.

BTW, before we go any further, do you get an error when the disk gets spit out? I would go to Applications/Utilities and run Console. With console running and visible on the screen, pop in your SL disk and wait for it to spit out. Watch what shows up in console (text) when the disk is being spit out.

Hi Again....When I went to console thing there was a lot of text which I will add here, this was before I tried to put snow leopard in to see what was coming up, when I just put in snow leopard nothing came up on screen, it just popped out after a few seconds. Whats puzzling me if I put in a cd it goes straight to itunes and shows tracks and asks if I wish to add to library, football manager straight in no prob everything works? here is what was on console before I put in snow leopard that last time.............Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
2013-09-16 11:37:54 +0100
Sep 16 11:37:55 david-duncans-computer /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport: Error: AirPort preferences updated
2013-09-16 11:37:56.034 SystemUIServer[133] lang is:en
2013-09-16 11:37:56.453 loginwindow[66] FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags returned err = -43
2013-09-16 11:37:56.859 Mac_SwapperDemon[148] profilePath = /System/Library/ModemList/zte_monitor_profile.plist
2013-09-16 11:37:56.859 Mac_SwapperDemon[148] loginItemPath = /Applications/Mac_SwapperDemon.app
2013-09-16 11:37:58.465 GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent[146/0xa000d000] [lvl=3] -[KSAgentApp handleCrash] Handling crash
2013-09-16 11:37:58.356 GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent[146/0xa000d000] [lvl=2] -[KSAgentApp setupLoggerOutput] Agent settings: <KSAgentSettings:0x21213e0 bundleID=com.google.Keystone.Agent lastCheck=2013-09-14 19:38:48 +0100 checkInterval=86400.000000 uiDisplayInterval=604800.000000 sleepInterval=8640.000000 jitterInterval=900 maxRunInterval=0.000000 isConsoleUser=1 ticketStorePath=/Users/davidduncan/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/TicketStore/Keystone.ticketstore runMode=1 daemonBootstrapName=com.google.Keystone.Daemon logEverything=0 logBufferSize=2048 alwaysPromptForUpdates=0 productIDToUpdate=(null) lastRun=2013-09-15 12:21:52 +0100 lastUIDisplayed=(null) lastCheck=2013-09-14 19:38:48 +0100 alwaysShowStatusItem=0 updateCheckTag=(null) printResults=NO userInitiated=NO handlingCrash=NO>
2013-09-16 11:37:59.706 GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent[146/0xa000d000] [lvl=3] -[KSAgentUploader fetcher:failedWithError:] Failed to upload stats to <NSMutableURLRequest https://tools.google.com/service/update2> with error NSError "no Internet connection" Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1009 UserInfo={
NSErrorFailingURLKey = https://tools.google.com/service/update2;
NSErrorFailingURLStringKey = "https://tools.google.com/service/update2";
NSLocalizedDescription = "no Internet connection";
}
2013-09-16 11:37:59.896 GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent[146/0xa000d000] [lvl=3] -[KSAgentApp uploadStats:] Failed to upload stats <KSStatsCollection:0x2122280 path="/Users/davidduncan/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/Stats/Keystone.stats", count=3, stats={crashes = 1; tickets = 0; validtickets = 0; }>
2013-09-16 12:06:34.883 CleanMyMacHelperTool[136] Wont clean FM 2007 because readonly
2013-09-16 12:06:46.206 CleanMyMacHelperTool[136] Wont clean FM 2007 because readonly

Disk Utility started.

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Determining correct file permissions.
parent directory ./Users/Shared/SC Info does not exist

Permissions repair complete

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Determining correct file permissions.
parent directory ./Users/Shared/SC Info does not exist

Permissions repair complete

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
2013-09-16 13:31:17.979 CleanMyMacHelperTool[136] Wont clean HP Software because disk image
/XRefStm encountered but not yet supported.
2013-09-16 13:35:03.478 HP Installer[270] *** -[NSCFString stringByAppendingPathExtension:]: cannot append extension 'plist' to path ''
OSVERSION = 10.4.11
Sep 16 13:37:38 david-duncans-computer authexec: executing /Users/davidduncan/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/HP Installer Tool/ HP Installer Tool 1379335038
Sep 16 14:01:30 david-duncans-computer mDNSResponder: Repeated transitions for interface en1 (192.168.1.4); delaying packets by 5 seconds
/Users/davidduncan/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/HP Installer Tool/ HP Installer Tool 1379335038
Sep 16 14:15:02 david-duncans-computer mDNSResponder: Repeated transitions for interface en1 (192.168.1.4); delaying packets by 5 seconds
Sep 16 14:23:14 david-duncans-computer mDNSResponder: Repeated transitions for interface en1 (192.168.1.4); delaying packets by 5 seconds
Sep 16 14:51:30 david-duncans-computer mDNSResponder: Repeated transitions for interface en1 (192.168.1.4); delaying packets by 5 seconds
2013-09-16 15:32:14.842 CleanMyMacHelperTool[136] Wont clean Audio CD because readonly
2013-09-16 15:32:21.554 CleanMyMacHelperTool[136] Wont clean Audio CD because readonly
2013-09-16 15:32:22.148 CleanMyMacHelperTool[136] Wont clean Summer Anthems because readonly
2013-09-16 15:33:16.482 CleanMyMacHelperTool[136] Wont clean Summer Anthems because readonly
Interface for en0 is not valid
en0 is not a valid interface
Error running bless. Returned error 1
Interface for en0 is not valid
en0 is not a valid interface
Error running bless. Returned error 1
No matching processes were found

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Does the drive read other disks? Assuming your copy of SL is a good one, then that's where I'd check first..it shouldn't spit the disk out if the drive is functioning correctly.

Also, try the disk in another machine as well...you could have an unreadable copy.

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Does the drive read other disks? Assuming your copy of SL is a good one, then that's where I'd check first..it shouldn't spit the disk out if the drive is functioning correctly.

Also, try the disk in another machine as well...you could have an unreadable copy.

Its not a copy of snow leopard its a brand new just opened install cd which I have just purchased. I dont have another computer here, but will try that another day

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013

Just to clear a few things up, I have just put in 6 different cd albums all go straight to itunes and ask if I wish to import or add to my library, all show tracks and singer, and play perfectly. I dont have any dvd in house, but am confident they would play no problem, I dont think there is anything wrong with the snow leopard disc, but will try on another system sometime this week, if I find someone with a macbook.

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to just clean computer back to original, in the hope that all the correct settings are in the computer, then just install the snow leopard, which may then be able to install after clean up? or would this be an insane idea?

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Have you tried any DVDs? Considering that Snow Leopard is a DVD?

Now thats something I didnt know, thought it was a cd. Just found a very old police chase copy, which I have just put in laptop, it doesnt put it back out, it just states its a recordable cd. I tried to open quick time player to see if this done anything, but it wont open when I double click.

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I dont have any dvds, but I have just found a disc software for finepix cx version 5.3j for windows and macintosh, I have just put this in laptop, it stays in also and am able to install if I wanted, would that be classed as a dvd?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I dont have any dvds, but I have just found a disc software for finepix cx version 5.3j for windows and macintosh, I have just put this in laptop, it stays in also and am able to install if I wanted, would that be classed as a dvd?

A DVD is a DVD. It sounds to me like you're missing a firmware update. I've had a similar issue with my Power Mac G5, and that was the problem.

Go into your About This Mac > System Profiler and under Hardware, it should say Disc Burning. Copy that whole section for us.

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
A DVD is a DVD. It sounds to me like you're missing a firmware update. I've had a similar issue with my Power Mac G5, and that was the problem.

Go into your About This Mac > System Profiler and under Hardware, it should say Disc Burning. Copy that whole section for us.

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857:

Firmware Revision: HBE4
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, you need the SuperDrive Firmware Update 2.1 update. Or whatever they replaced it with since they removed it due to an error.

The firmware will be HAEA afterwards. It improves the readability of disks.

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Yeah, you need the SuperDrive Firmware Update 2.1 update. Or whatever they replaced it with since they removed it due to an error.

The firmware will be HAEA afterwards. It improves the readability of disks.

How do I go about that Jessica.....I am not to technically savvy when it comes to these things, if you give me a program I should look for and install, that would be great, its just I may just download the wrong thing.

Cheers

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
How do I go about that Jessica.....I am not to technically savvy when it comes to these things, if you give me a program I should look for and install, that would be great, its just I may just download the wrong thing.

Cheers

Let's wait for someone to pitch in. I don't want to give you the wrong info either.

Apple removed the update because it had side effects which made people's drives useless. You can do the update manually with another program, but I want to make sure Apple either fixed it, or what.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I would forget all that jazz about the other user account at this point. I would expect the drive will simply spit the disk out no matter who you are logged in as. It sounds like you have a bad optical drive. I found an article saying you "should" update hbe4 to hbea firmware. Since there is some risk when you update optical drive firmware, I suggest you "should" try a usb drive instead. I found one on Amazon for $17 plus shipping (unless you have Prime). You have to wait for delivery. Another option is to visit a local store and pick one up. I checked Target and they don't stock them in stores these days.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
umm, I think the possible issue here is you have a CD drive only, so no DVDs would work.
Gives us year, model, etc.

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version: 1.4f12
Serial Number: 4H632*****
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857:

Firmware Revision: HBE4
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950
Type: Display
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x27a2
Revision ID: 0x0003
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display Connector:

I will pick up a dvd tomorrow, just to see what happens. I also have plenty space in laptop disc usage macintosh hd 74.21GB space utilized 30.17 GB space free 44.04 GB also only used half of memory

Last edited:

dave5perth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Just put in a dvd and the same as snow leopard, pops back out after a few seconds. Hopefully its the program Jessica mentioned earlier, just a matter of trying to find something which will upgrade the tiger 10.4.11

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Just put in a dvd and the same as snow leopard, pops back out after a few seconds. Hopefully its the program Jessica mentioned earlier, just a matter of trying to find something which will upgrade the tiger 10.4.11

Can you do us a favor and hold down the option key at boot and when the drive pops up, try sticking the Snow Leopard disk in? Tiger might not see it, but the computer itself might?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.