Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dark knight

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Not sure where you are in the SE but I have never not had a 3G connection wherever I go in the SE, it's the very reason I have just signed another 24 month contract with them.

I tried all the other providers which were okay but it was hit and miss with signal coverage and Three was my last ditch attempt at getting something reasonably decent and even then I didn't hold out much hope...never looked back since, not only that their offers dump all over the other networks!

The only place I didn't get a very good signal was in my house but that was the same with all the other networks I tried, the only difference being was when I explained this to Three they sent me a Home Signal box and I now have 5 bars wherever I am in the house.

So strange. In Oxfordshire i very rarely see 3G. Often its the 'o' symbol of doom. Most of the way to London (High Wycombe) i can find myself without signal at all. I thought it was the iPhone 4 antenna thing, but its a similar story with the 5. London is at least covered fine. However, just went to France and never once found myself without 3G on the SFR network. So its probably not the phones fault. Confused :confused:

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
I phoned Three last month and had them change my One Plan tariff from £25 per month to £18. A bargain for what it includes. I have just looked at EE's tariffs which are a joke.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
So are 4G and LTE the same thing? When we're connected will it say 4G or LTE in the corner? What's the difference? Really good on Three to do this. After EE monopolised the market and ripped people off, it's a breath of fresh air to see a network which just wants to give its customers the best. Three has always been really great value.

4G can refer to HSPA+, LTE, WiMax, or other technologies. LTE is always LTE. The iPhone will show LTE. The only time it shows 4G is on AT&T HSPA+ in the US (on other networks, HSPA+ is shown as 3G)

YtseThunder

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
In the south east, Vodafone can't even manage 2G most of the time. I long for the time when i see a 3G symbol on my iPhone.

Hell yeah. Vodafone's indoor coverage is ridiculously poor. I have a seat in my living room for getting signal... It'd be a miracle to maintain >EDGE reception on my phone outdoors, too. Truly regret switching to Vodafone.

I have been tempted to stay on Vodafone following this Verizon sale, but I'm certain that Three will be my next provider, especially after this announcement. An added bonus is that I live in Reading and go to uni in London!

Instead of paying extra for higher broadband speeds, I'll most likely tether to my phone, if it offers a benefit, obviously.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
In my city this is the best result I got, actually underground in a bar too!!

3gresult.jpg

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It's a real shame Three don't offer Visual voicemail... :-(

I thought this for ages too, one of the reason I wouldn't move from o2. But then I tried Hulliomail when I moved to Three and to be honest, apart from it integrating with the phone app its better than visual voicemail anyway.

robertsduney

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
Love it.

[url=http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

The UK carrier Three*has announced that it will begin its 4G LTE rollout in four major UK cities starting in December of this year, with a further 42 cities due to be added by the end of 2014. According to its website, London, Birmingham (including the surrounding West Midlands), Manchester, and Reading will receive 4G coverage by the end of the year. Unlike other British carriers, Three is not charging a premium for its 4G services, as long as customers have compatible devices.

Customers who have compatible devices (Three's 4G network will work on the 800 MHz and 1,800 MHz frequencies on LTE bands 3 and 20) will be automatically upgraded with no extra fees. The carrier is also notable for being the only UK operator to offer truly unlimited mobile data with no exceptions, dubbed 'all-you-can-eat data' by the company.

Three already claims the fastest 3G network in the UK due to the implementation of HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA technology, which allow theoretical browsing speeds of up to 6 and 12 Mbps respectively. The company claims its 4G network will allow browsing speeds of up to 14 Mbps, which although is almost five times faster than standard 3G speeds, it still puts it behind the leader EE, which has doubled its LTE browsing speeds in several UK cities, allowing for theoretical browsing of up to 60 Mbps.

Three, along with the other British carriers EE, O2 and Vodafone, will all support LTE browsing on the new iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s, both of which were announced yesterday at Apple's iPhone event in Cupertino, California. Both devices are compatible with the 800 MHz and 2,600 MHz frequencies, which were unsupported by the iPhone 5. Both O2 and Vodafone now allow customers to register their interest for the new devices, which are due to be released next week.

Article Link: Three Announces 4G Rollout Plan in Four UK Cities

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Kinda wish the US would build up its infrastructure more. It seems like every other country has way faster 4g/LTE service, faster broadband and other internet services. Plus, a lot of countries have high speed rail systems, and other faster forms of communication, transportation, etc. But the companies are too cheap to upgrade their infrastructure. I know, the US is a big place and it's expensive, but don't these companies bring in millions, if not billions, of dollars of profits? Plus, couldn't we do more of a public/private partnership?

Sorry for the rant, just kinda stressed out about some stuff & need to vent.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Kinda wish the US would build up its infrastructure more. It seems like every other country has way faster 4g/LTE service, faster broadband and other internet services. Plus, a lot of countries have high speed rail systems, and other faster forms of communication, transportation, etc. But the companies are too cheap to upgrade their infrastructure. I know, the US is a big place and it's expensive, but don't these companies bring in millions, if not billions, of dollars of profits? Plus, couldn't we do more of a public/private partnership?

Sorry for the rant, just kinda stressed out about some stuff & need to vent.

Probably greed. To be fair though, we only just got 4G last year and it was only on EE. Think the US has had LTE for quite a while

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
"slow" eek.. :( Don't say that, I'm getting sky broadband installed on Friday.

Good luck with that I hope it works better for you. I've been using Sky broadband for the past 3 years. I'm currently on my third router as they seem to last about a year and then die. Fortunately each one died just before the warranty ran out so it didn't cost me anything to replace them.

I get on average 6-7Mbps although Sky tell me I should get 16Mbps. However whenever I call them they have no idea why I get less. My computer is upstairs and my router is on the floor below. I know that slows things down a bit. What's worse is if I download a lot of iTunes content the speed gradually gets slower and slower.

Apart from that the only other gripe I have with Sky broadband is that every time you call their support team they insist that you plug your computer directly into the router, which means I have to dismantle my desktop move it downstairs, plug everything in again just so they can ping my connection.

My advice would be to either position your router so you can plug it directly into your computer rather than using wireless or find some way to network it so it doesn't rely on the wireless connection. I know you can buy these things that plug into your electricity sockets and use that as a network. I've never used them personally but they look good.

As for your problems at home with 3, are you aware that you can buy indoor signal boosters for all the networks. 3 don't advertise it but they do sell one. I think it costs about £100 and it's designed to improve your signal indoors.

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
NIce that companies like Vodafone are investing in 4G. Lovely for those in major cities. Maybe they should sort out the rest of their network though. I can only just get Edge, if I'm lucky, in most place, and usually GPRS.

Fed up of paying high carrier prices to subsidise peoples fast connections in big cities. It's about time people paid a price representative of what kind of connection they can get in their area. Then maybe these companies would get off their arses and provide a decent service.

You have trees, fresh air and loveliness. We have faster ****. Swings & roundabouts man.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Good luck with that I hope it works better for you. I've been using Sky broadband for the past 3 years. I'm currently on my third router as they seem to last about a year and then die. Fortunately each one died just before the warranty ran out so it didn't cost me anything to replace them.

I get on average 6-7Mbps although Sky tell me I should get 16Mbps. However whenever I call them they have no idea why I get less. My computer is upstairs and my router is on the floor below. I know that slows things down a bit. What's worse is if I download a lot of iTunes content the speed gradually gets slower and slower.

Apart from that the only other gripe I have with Sky broadband is that every time you call their support team they insist that you plug your computer directly into the router, which means I have to dismantle my desktop move it downstairs, plug everything in again just so they can ping my connection.

My advice would be to either position your router so you can plug it directly into your computer rather than using wireless or find some way to network it so it doesn't rely on the wireless connection. I know you can buy these things that plug into your electricity sockets and use that as a network. I've never used them personally but they look good.

As for your problems at home with 3, are you aware that you can buy indoor signal boosters for all the networks. 3 don't advertise it but they do sell one. I think it costs about £100 and it's designed to improve your signal indoors.

Cheers for the tips, the good thing is I have a macbook so in case i run into problems mobility shouldnt be an issue.

Re: 3 signal booster. They offered me one for free but as it relies on you having a wifi router which i didnt/wont have until tomorrow; it made no sense me taking the offer. Adding to that, the reason i signed up for the one plan was because i didnt feel the need to pay for home broadband when i could tether freely from my iPhone. The irony eh..

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
Those femtocell things will work wonders for your signal but I could never understand why, if you need one, you don't get at least a small discount on mobile line rental. You're basically using your paid for Internet to make up for bad mobile signals. The 'operator' should be paying The end user in these situations! But no... no discount and they won't give you one unless you're on a 24 month contract!

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
So strange. In Oxfordshire i very rarely see 3G. Often its the 'o' symbol of doom. Most of the way to London (High Wycombe) i can find myself without signal at all. I thought it was the iPhone 4 antenna thing, but its a similar story with the 5. London is at least covered fine. However, just went to France and never once found myself without 3G on the SFR network. So its probably not the phones fault. Confused :confused:

Very odd, just went away on a company retreat to Oxfordshire and had a solid signal the entire time, apart from our hotel in the sticks but then nobody had signal

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Really?!?
The service may not be upto the 6mbs they say I should get but I honestly can't remember ever not getting service anywhere I've traveled in London

lol, I live in Wimbledon too.. I'm amazed you even have a signal on Three! I just switched over and I've never need 'No Service' on my iPhone so often.. :(

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Those femtocell things will work wonders for your signal but I could never understand why, if you need one, you don't get at least a small discount on mobile line rental. You're basically using your paid for Internet to make up for bad mobile signals. The 'operator' should be paying The end user in these situations! But no... no discount and they won't give you one unless you're on a 24 month contract!

Fwiw I rang Three and im getting them to send me a signal booster, they said its worth £99 and still property of Three and if I were to cancel my contract I would have to give it back:confused: anyway.... I also got them to reduce my tariff fee from £25 to £18pcm for the One-plan because I dont believe im getting the same service i signed up for. i'll see how things go with the 4G rollout...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.