Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twittericon.jpg
Twitter is planning a massive overhaul of its mobile apps, reports AllThingsD. While the redesigned iOS app won't be launched until sometime after iOS 7 is available, it will include a focus on streams, doing away with the standard menu bar on the bottom of the screen.

Content, including what is found in today's Home, Connect, Discover, and Me sections, will be organized into streams, which can be navigated by swiping. The Discover section of the app will be eliminated and embedded media will be available in all streams.
There will be a main, reverse-chronological stream like users are currently familiar with, as well as a stream for interactions between other users and conversations they're having. Notably new, there will also be a stream dedicated entirely to photos shared on Twitter.

Essentially, moving through all the streams will be more of a visual experience, sources said, with a heavier emphasis on multimedia. There won't be the need, for instance, to click inside a tweet to see a photo or a video -- it'll just appear in the stream. (For reference, see how Twitter's current "Discover" tab treats some media content.)

The overall theme: Look pretty, feel richer, and become far more visually immersive than the text-heavy Twitter we're all familiar with.
The company is also reportedly experimenting with a stream that will display only television-related tweets and conversations, designed to bump up user retention by helping first time Twitter users discover interesting content. In August, Twitter redesigned conversations within its app, adding lines and reordering conversations to make it easier to follow discussions.

Twitter is expected to launch an update for iOS 7 following its release on Wednesday, but the redesigned app will not be released until later this year.

Twitter for iOS is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter to Launch Redesigned iOS App With Emphasis on Media Content

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I get Facebook, I don't get Twitter. Let's see if this revamp changes my mind. They are also doing this with the stock floatation in mind.

tai.michael

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Wow, I am actually surprised these giant corporations are actually copying Jony Ive's design aesthetics. Get it straight through your heads, everyone. Jony Ive is not a UI designer. He doesn't understand the differences between print and digital, and how to use color properly for each medium. If you think a solid color is a vast "improvement" over a subtle gradient, bevel and drop shadow, you got to be out of your mind.

Can't these companies use their own brains and realize that ****ing frosted glass is just plain ugly, let alone terrible for user experience?

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
The official Twitter client is just useless.

You have to use Lists on Twitter to keep organized. On a web browser, you can go straight to the list. On Tweetbot you can go straight to a list. On the official client? Forget about it!

Official Twitter client (Android and iOS):
1) Load app.
2) Wait for it to finish loading a thousand tweets.
3) Scroll to / Tap on "Me"
4) Scroll to bottom of page
5) Tap "Lists"
6) Tap on favorite list I want to view.

Tweetbot:
1) Load app.

Web browser:
1) Load list.

It is a huge pain to mess with the official client. Why would they bury functionality like that?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
So Twitter will look more like a combination of FB and iOS 7. If you can't innovate anymore, copy. FB might as well buy Twitter. Then Apple can buy FB and rename the new services, iFacebook, iTwitter and iInstagram.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
So Twitter will look more like a combination of FB and iOS 7. If you can't innovate anymore, copy. FB might as well buy Twitter. Then Apple can buy FB and rename the new services, iFacebook, iTwitter and iInstagram.

well isnt that the point? to have all apps look similar to have nice "flow" throughout the whole os. i expect more apps to follow the same design

Adam Betts

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2002
Flagstaff, AZ
Wow, I am actually surprised these giant corporations are actually copying Jony Ive's design aesthetics. Get it straight through your heads, everyone. Jony Ive is not a UI designer. He doesn't understand the differences between print and digital, and how to use color properly for each medium. If you think a solid color is a vast "improvement" over a subtle gradient, bevel and drop shadow, you got to be out of your mind.

Can't these companies use their own brains and realize that ****ing frosted glass is just plain ugly, let alone terrible for user experience?

Calm down and remind yourself that you don't speak for us.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Still no support for TweetMarker-like feature?

I will stick with Twitterrific for iOS (or switch back to Tweetbot if their new UI looks fine on iOS 7).

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
well isnt that the point? to have all apps look similar to have nice "flow" throughout the whole os. i expect more apps to follow the same design

Yes, but it can get to the point where you basically have apps which are duplicates of each other not only in function, but also in appearance. At that point, some of us begin to wait for someone to "disrupt" this nice flow with something more innovative and exciting.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Can they play nice again with Instagram (and subsequently Facebook) so I can see Instagram photos inline on my feed? Please!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I don't have Twitterriffic - how does TweetMarker work?

----------

Haha I think Twitter's IPO will be worth more than FB. (No source, just a hunch)

I personally use Twitterrific's iCloud sync (and Tweetbot's iCloud sync before that), but TweetMarker lets you save the position of your timeline. It's sad that Twitter does not yet support this feature natively.

As for IPO price, while I am no fan of Facebook, it's revenue and profit are far higher than that of Twitter. 2012, Facebook reported $5.1 billion and $53 million, respectively, vs. $350 million for Twitter (operating loss, so no profit). Twitter is expected to grow much higher in 2013, but at the expense of becoming more Facebook like.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Too text heavy? Uh, it's based on a specific number of characters, so yeah. One picture is worth, what, 7+ tweets? I don't want to have every pic in my face. Much rather click the link if that's what I choose to do. Next they'll force me to read every linked article? Twitter's about info, not aesthetics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.