Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I've read several (at least 10), but only posted 2. Please post some articles claiming the contrary (from legit tech sites).

You doubt it? By all means, please explain why the articles are wrong. Not interested in your opinion. Why are they wrong. Just becasue Crysis 3 can be ran with little RAM doesn't prove that the 64-bit A7 will provide zero benefit to games.

Again your opinion is based upon on experiences with devices without the A7 and again the articles agreed that the full benefit of the move will be a few years in the future. The articles merely point out that the 64-bit platform will have some immediate benefits to performance. You haven't even attempted to address this point (and it was the only point being made). I get that it's your opinion that theyre won't be any immediate benefit, but you don't want to touch the points made in the article it appears. If the articles are wrong (and they might be), it certainly isn't because of any of the reasons you've listed thus far.

There are many many saying so.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...-marketing-fluff-and-wont-improve-performance

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-...or-marketing-not-performance-benefits_id47338

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/10/apples...uch-for-a-smartphone-but-great-for-a-macbook/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davealt...ssor-hype-just-more-reality-distortion-field/

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-t...chip-means-you-hint-not-much-right-now-226585

http://www.neowin.net/news/editorial-iphones-64-bit-architecture-is-pure-marketing-fluff

http://www.androidauthority.com/apple-64-bit-processor-and-operating-system-267570/

And if you look at a lot of the articles they mention that mainly benefits will be seen years down the road, little benefit today.

Even on full fat x86 32 and 64 bit generally only have a 5-15% performance difference (assuming RAM is not hugely limiting) for things such as cinebench (easy to find and use benchmark).

The problem as I see it is that a few 64 bit apps with special optimization will see a little benefit. However, more memory will be required. And a 64 bit core will use more power than a 32 bit core (simple math, double the number of registers and bus wdith and you increase power consumption). The problem occurs if the 64 bit core uses more energy than the 32 bit core for 32 bit processes due to the additional circuitry (and not to mention that the die size increase drives up costs) and if for 64 bit processes power is up more than performance, especially when the die is sitting idle.

Then of course there is the whole, "Would it be better to try and gain the additional performance by making a more efficient 32 bit core than spending R&D on a 64 bit core?"

Can I prove it? No. However, historically there has been little to no benefits from systems such as the N64 by virtue of being a 64 bit system. At this point in time however, I have seen no proof or even a very good explanation why games on the iphone/ipad are going to benefit.

The xbox 360, PS2 (marketed as 128 bit but actually 64 bit for the most part architecture), and PS3 all have 64 bit or mostly 64 bit CPU designs. The reason they don't use a 64 bit OS (especially the 360) is that it would use more ram and return minimal benefits. Even if you look at devs who are happy about the upcoming consoles and better 64 bit games, they are mostly happy about removing the RAM limit.

Even intel realizes that there is little benefit to 64 bit in the consumer tablet sector (enterprise is different).

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
Your example holds no ground in terms of determining camera quality. Give those same people a great DSLR camera and they will still take crappy pictures. But sure, they have a better chance at taking a good one with a superior camera. But that is an obvious aside.

Low-light performance is also an issue so I won't argue that. But as I look through my thousands of photos, only a small percentage are in low-light. Flash? I rarely even use it. But when I do, I make sure I get a few shots from different angles and distance so I can pick the photo with the least amount of wash.

One problem I see with cell phone photos is that users simply do not take the little time required to learn how the camera works. Many people don't even realize that you can focus on different areas of the photo which will change the contrast and brightness.

You don't need to be some photography pro to take good pics with the iPhone. You don't even need perfect conditions. Just get some light in the photo and don't point directly at the light source (you shouldn't do this with point-and-shoots either anyway).

Maybe the camera absolutely blows for people who work graveyard shifts outside or hang out in night clubs 24/7.

Nobody is arguing that point-and-shoots aren't better. Of course they are better. But for the vast majority of situations, the iPhone takes plenty of comparable pics. If you take mostly dark shots, then you should pack a p&s with you. Don't expect phones to catch up to their low-light performance for a while. Not even the Lumia 1020 can take night shots as good and that camera is an absolute beast for a cellphone.

Yup I agree. Some good points raised there :)

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Much of this is propaganda.

Games are GPU limited much before running into CPU limitations. No idevice uses 4GB+ and no single app uses more than 2GB. 64 bit pointers will be larger requiring more space and bandwidth (game size is not going to really increase as games are primarily graphics) requiring a bit more power. The first 64 bit program were no better or worse than the 32 bit programs they tried to replace.

Games are not suddenly going to be better. I hope these people realize that pretty much EVERY SINGLE computer game runs a 32 bit binary.

Its nice but rather pointless at this point in time.

Exactly what cirus said. Plus running 64 bit is going to put more drain on what is already a pretty poor battery.

No. I've already read enough from credible sources to understand that at this moment in time 64 bit architecture will offer only slight benefits. Additionally there are a number of downsides, which include greater drain on the battery. For every website you find extolling the virtues of having 64bit architecture in the Iphone 5S, I will find 5 that contradict it. Perhaps in 1 - 2 years we will see the benefits, but not at the moment.

It has a 10% larger battery. If battery life decreases then something is really wrong.

And there were/are game developers who said that the PS4 is 'a generation ahead of PCs'.

Considering that PC devs have had no problem working games such as Crysis 3 on 32 bit executables (which only uses about 1.5 GB ram) and haven't ever felt the need to use a 64 bit executable even though they easily could for the PC port (yes some complain about it but they use 32 bit code anyway and never push the RAM limitations- Metro games use consistently less than 250 MB of RAM, often much less) I'll call BS on this one.

And you can clearly see from the tone and wording of the article that this is not a technical explanation and is presented in a very non-neutral light.

Clearly shows this person has no background in electronics or is trying (and trying too hard) to extol the virtues of 64 bit architecture to the masses. We have absolutely no explanation why and must take this statement at face value with no proof whatsoever

the minute i saw the apple guy at the conference babbling on about 64-bit architecture i knew it was a desperate move by apple to disguise the lack of innovation on the new iphones.

even if the 64-bit technology works as intended in less than 4GB of RAM:

1. only very few apps will actually benefit from it noticeably.

2. only the geeks will know what 64-bit architecture is and that it has been implemented on their phone.

i bet you will never again see a mention of the 64-bit architecture by apple. it certainly won't appear on their forthcoming ads.

the reason? most people haven't got a clue what it means and what it does.

looking back previous iphone presentations by steve jobs when they talked about "stuff that matters, stuff that works, stuff that made people's lives easier" to today, when they talk about "64-bits", "pixel micron size" and what not and you realise how their imagination just stopped.

10% larger battery on a newer chip. Don't expect battery life to decrease, Possibly a 32 bit A7 would consume less energy than a 64 bit A7.

Lots of devs hyped/are hyping the PS4/Xbone.

Your article is one source which does not attempt to give any reason why perf/watt will be improved besides saying 'it will increase':rolleyes:.

Crysis 3 has several very large levels. Metro is segmented but then consumes so little RAM you could easily multiply its RAM use by 6 and still be well under 2 GB.

For full blown PC games 64 bit may help in certain cases. For ios games? I really doubt it.

I can't really see an iphone/ipad running a detailed open world game at this point in time.

Which is great. But Apple have added technology to their phone that won't be fully utilized for a few years and missed off other technology that could be utilized now. That is why they are attracting criticism for it. If the Iphone 5s was innovative, evolutionary with state of the art technology, the addition of 64 bit architecture would have only attracted further praise. But they've produced a phone with very minor upgrades to it's predecessor and have failed to add other tech that is appearing in rival phones. Instead they've added something that can't really be fully monopolized and claiming they're still innovating.

There's lots of stuff. Waterproofing for starters, Sony have managed to do it without sacrificing too much in size. Are you aware of how many Iphones die because of water damage? My 4 died as I was foolish enough to use it in light rain. Apple would be critically aware of the considerable amount of Iphones that suffer water damage, yet do nothing about it..

It's a major upgrade from the Iphone 5, but that's because the camera in the Iphone 5 was so poor. Terrible in lowlight, zero OIS, no burst mode, an error prone panoramic mode. You have to remember you can buy $50 P&Ss from kmart that are superior to the Iphone's camera. The Iphone costs in excess of AU $1000 - that is not acceptable. The cost is not in proportion to the level of technology found in the Iphone. Charge me $500 and you'll have no complaints.

There are many many saying so.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...-marketing-fluff-and-wont-improve-performance

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-...or-marketing-not-performance-benefits_id47338

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/10/apples...uch-for-a-smartphone-but-great-for-a-macbook/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davealt...ssor-hype-just-more-reality-distortion-field/

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-t...chip-means-you-hint-not-much-right-now-226585

http://www.neowin.net/news/editorial-iphones-64-bit-architecture-is-pure-marketing-fluff

http://www.androidauthority.com/apple-64-bit-processor-and-operating-system-267570/

And if you look at a lot of the articles they mention that mainly benefits will be seen years down the road, little benefit today.

Even on full fat x86 32 and 64 bit generally only have a 5-15% performance difference (assuming RAM is not hugely limiting) for things such as cinebench (easy to find and use benchmark).

The problem as I see it is that a few 64 bit apps with special optimization will see a little benefit. However, more memory will be required. And a 64 bit core will use more power than a 32 bit core (simple math, double the number of registers and bus wdith and you increase power consumption). The problem occurs if the 64 bit core uses more energy than the 32 bit core for 32 bit processes due to the additional circuitry (and not to mention that the die size increase drives up costs) and if for 64 bit processes power is up more than performance, especially when the die is sitting idle.

Then of course there is the whole, "Would it be better to try and gain the additional performance by making a more efficient 32 bit core than spending R&D on a 64 bit core?"

Can I prove it? No. However, historically there has been little to no benefits from systems such as the N64 by virtue of being a 64 bit system. At this point in time however, I have seen no proof or even a very good explanation why games on the iphone/ipad are going to benefit.

The xbox 360, PS2 (marketed as 128 bit but actually 64 bit for the most part architecture), and PS3 all have 64 bit or mostly 64 bit CPU designs. The reason they don't use a 64 bit OS (especially the 360) is that it would use more ram and return minimal benefits. Even if you look at devs who are happy about the upcoming consoles and better 64 bit games, they are mostly happy about removing the RAM limit.

Even intel realizes that there is little benefit to 64 bit in the consumer tablet sector (enterprise is different).

Intel doesn't compete in the mobile market. They're desperately attempting to nose themselves into this Lucrative arena, but right now, no one is using Intel chips for low power devices. Of course that'll be their response.

That's where I'll start....but not end. I quoted a half dozen of your posts cirus...and the other two that are listening to you or believing what you have to say. It's kinda sad actually, especially when someone in this thread has more knowledge about 64bit architecture than anyone participating. He's attempted time and time again to educate you yet you're basing your evidence, knowledge and responses on articles like those listed? You truly 'don't' have the knowledge. You've not spent your life coding on 32bit systems, nor are you 'sure' what 64bit architecture actually does, is, and most importantly....the benefits it absolutely WILL provide today and everyday from now forward on iOS. It's parity with OSx. Computations taken care of within the SoC en masse. No need to run back n forth between memory, helping with battery time...and 'speed'. This has absolutely nothing to do with how Windows transitioned to 64bit. Apple provides XCode for free. The APIs are there for the developers to take advantage of (in order to transition their software from 32--->64bits). It's not marketing fluff. It's not BS. It's not going to go 'unnoticed' now or in the future. It'll be immediately evident and if there IS an area cell/smart phones can be innovated, this is exactly IT! For those to dismiss Apple's innovation demonstrates their absolute ignorance to what's going on 'under the hood'. We've just gone from a pull start single cylinder 6hp mower motor to a 4 cylinder engine able to power a vehicle. That's the difference. Apple has developed this chip from bottom to top. The ability to actually build your own chip from the ground level is astonishing. And something never done in the history of mobile computing. ALL other OEMs are utilizing off the shelf SoCs. The last couple of generations, Apple has built their own. They've also had a hand in the GPU substructure build out and if course, they're the architects of their software and OS/UI. No carrier fluff...this is an in house project that regardless what the three of you believe is an absolute game changer in mobile computing/communications. It's easy to read articles of folks that 'think' they understand. The most common response is 64bit architecture is only necessary to address >4GB of RAM. If those articles you choose to read begin with that stance, move along. There is so, SO much more to this move. Things even the brightest engineers and developers aren't even aware of at this time.

I guess I have a hard time understanding your stubborn position when it's been pointed out to you several times by someone with extreme knowledge in this area.

64bit computing explained from Wikipedia

"In computer architecture, 64-bit computing is the use of processors that have datapath widths, integer size, and memory addresses widths of 64 bits (eight octets). Also, 64-bit CPU and ALU architectures are those that are based on registers, address buses, or data buses of that size. From the software perspective, 64-bit computing means the use of code with 64-bit virtual memory addresses.
The term 64-bit is a descriptor given to a generation of computers in which 64-bit processors are the norm. 64 bits is a word size that defines certain classes of computer architecture, buses, memory and CPUs, and by extension the software that runs on them. 64-bit CPUs have existed in supercomputers since the 1970s (Cray-1, 1975) and in RISC-based workstations and servers since the early 1990s, notably the DEC Alpha, Sun UltraSPARC, Fujitsu SPARC64, and IBM RS64 and POWER3 and later POWER microprocessors. In 2003 they were introduced to the (previously 32-bit) mainstream personal computer arena in the form of the x86-64 and 64-bit PowerPC processor architectures and later in 2012[1] even in processors that were before mainly used in smartphones, tablet computers, and embedded systems with the introduction of the AArch64 processor architectures in ARMv8 and on September 10, 2013 with the introduction of the 64-bit ARMv8 Apple A7 SOC, powering the iPhone 5s.
A 64-bit register can store 264 (over 18 quintillion or 1.8×1019) different values. Hence, a processor with 64-bit memory addresses can directly access 264 bytes (=16 exbibytes) of byte-addressable memory.
Without further qualification, a 64-bit computer architecture generally has integer and addressing registers that are 64 bits wide, allowing direct support for 64-bit data types and addresses. However, a CPU might have external data buses or address buses with different sizes from the registers, even larger (the 32-bit Pentium had a 64-bit data bus, for instance). The term may also refer to the size of low-level data types, such as 64-bit floating-point numbers."

Again...a LOT can happen within the SoC without having to interact consistently with the RAM or NAND. This alone, I believe will address some of the battery savings Apple talked about. Not to mention the new co-processor that's accompanying the new A7 responsible for movement, acceleration, positioning and other small chores unnecessary for the 'big' processor to remain constantly active.

As an owner of both Apple and Android devices I'm incredibly excited about this move. For those arm chair wannabes dismissing Apple's idea of evolution, revolution or its ability to innovate... What an immense smack in the face to those much MUCH more intelligent than those of us debating on this and other forums. I think a week from now...when the tear downs and electron microscopes are taking a peak at the silicon, we are ALL in for a big surprise. As an owner of an iPhone 5---my wife the 4s, we will be buying the 5s and selling the 4s (Gazelle has already guaranteed me $245 and sent me the box). For this small price to pay for the upgrade (notice your bill doesn't go down when your 'subsidy' has been paid for), I'm fired up. Extremely excited to be enjoying this day n age of technology. Maybe it's more of an age or demographic thing. Those of us 35/40+ are truly enjoying these advancements. HiDPI displays, incredible horsepower in laptops with SSD and NAND storage now becoming ubiquitous....and portable. And incredibly powerful.
It's hard for me to understand folks like you guys dismissing outright this level of engineering advancement and prowess. Mind blowing actually. It does make one wonder if there are actually paid folks from competing companies populating enthusiast boards like MR. Why not? Social media and forums, chat rooms and the rest are what we, the population are now garnering our news and reviews from.

Bizarre...the 5s is going to sell like hotcakes. It'll set another weekend, monthly and quarterly record for electronic device sales. But those of you unable to upgrade from the '5' are just fine. It's as fast as can be. Still atop most benchmark charts keeping pace with the latest and greatest Android products. Wait on the iPhone 6 and maybe THEN, you'll believe.
J

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Intel doesn't compete in the mobile market. They're desperately attempting to nose themselves into this Lucrative arena, but right now, no one is using Intel chips for low power devices. Of course that'll be their response.

That's where I'll start....but not end. I quoted a half dozen of your posts cirus...and the other two that are listening to you or believing what you have to say. It's kinda sad actually, especially when someone in this thread has more knowledge about 64bit architecture than anyone participating. He's attempted time and time again to educate you yet you're basing your evidence, knowledge and responses on articles like those listed? You truly 'don't' have the knowledge. You've not spent your life coding on 32bit systems, nor are you 'sure' what 64bit architecture actually does, is, and most importantly....the benefits it absolutely WILL provide today and everyday from now forward on iOS. It's parity with OSx. Computations taken care of within the SoC en masse. No need to run back n forth between memory, helping with battery time...and 'speed'. This has absolutely nothing to do with how Windows transitioned to 64bit. Apple provides XCode for free. The APIs are there for the developers to take advantage of (in order to transition their software from 32--->64bits). It's not marketing fluff. It's not BS. It's not going to go 'unnoticed' now or in the future. It'll be immediately evident and if there IS an area cell/smart phones can be innovated, this is exactly IT! For those to dismiss Apple's innovation demonstrates their absolute ignorance to what's going on 'under the hood'. We've just gone from a pull start single cylinder 6hp mower motor to a 4 cylinder engine able to power a vehicle. That's the difference. Apple has developed this chip from bottom to top. The ability to actually build your own chip from the ground level is astonishing. And something never done in the history of mobile computing. ALL other OEMs are utilizing off the shelf SoCs. The last couple of generations, Apple has built their own. They've also had a hand in the GPU substructure build out and if course, they're the architects of their software and OS/UI. No carrier fluff...this is an in house project that regardless what the three of you believe is an absolute game changer in mobile computing/communications. It's easy to read articles of folks that 'think' they understand. The most common response is 64bit architecture is only necessary to address >4GB of RAM. If those articles you choose to read begin with that stance, move along. There is so, SO much more to this move. Things even the brightest engineers and developers aren't even aware of at this time.

I guess I have a hard time understanding your stubborn position when it's been pointed out to you several times by someone with extreme knowledge in this area.

64bit computing explained from Wikipedia

"In computer architecture, 64-bit computing is the use of processors that have datapath widths, integer size, and memory addresses widths of 64 bits (eight octets). Also, 64-bit CPU and ALU architectures are those that are based on registers, address buses, or data buses of that size. From the software perspective, 64-bit computing means the use of code with 64-bit virtual memory addresses.
The term 64-bit is a descriptor given to a generation of computers in which 64-bit processors are the norm. 64 bits is a word size that defines certain classes of computer architecture, buses, memory and CPUs, and by extension the software that runs on them. 64-bit CPUs have existed in supercomputers since the 1970s (Cray-1, 1975) and in RISC-based workstations and servers since the early 1990s, notably the DEC Alpha, Sun UltraSPARC, Fujitsu SPARC64, and IBM RS64 and POWER3 and later POWER microprocessors. In 2003 they were introduced to the (previously 32-bit) mainstream personal computer arena in the form of the x86-64 and 64-bit PowerPC processor architectures and later in 2012[1] even in processors that were before mainly used in smartphones, tablet computers, and embedded systems with the introduction of the AArch64 processor architectures in ARMv8 and on September 10, 2013 with the introduction of the 64-bit ARMv8 Apple A7 SOC, powering the iPhone 5s.
A 64-bit register can store 264 (over 18 quintillion or 1.8×1019) different values. Hence, a processor with 64-bit memory addresses can directly access 264 bytes (=16 exbibytes) of byte-addressable memory.
Without further qualification, a 64-bit computer architecture generally has integer and addressing registers that are 64 bits wide, allowing direct support for 64-bit data types and addresses. However, a CPU might have external data buses or address buses with different sizes from the registers, even larger (the 32-bit Pentium had a 64-bit data bus, for instance). The term may also refer to the size of low-level data types, such as 64-bit floating-point numbers."

Again...a LOT can happen within the SoC without having to interact consistently with the RAM or NAND. This alone, I believe will address some of the battery savings Apple talked about. Not to mention the new co-processor that's accompanying the new A7 responsible for movement, acceleration, positioning and other small chores unnecessary for the 'big' processor to remain constantly active.

As an owner of both Apple and Android devices I'm incredibly excited about this move. For those arm chair wannabes dismissing Apple's idea of evolution, revolution or its ability to innovate... What an immense smack in the face to those much MUCH more intelligent than those of us debating on this and other forums. I think a week from now...when the tear downs and electron microscopes are taking a peak at the silicon, we are ALL in for a big surprise. As an owner of an iPhone 5---my wife the 4s, we will be buying the 5s and selling the 4s (Gazelle has already guaranteed me $245 and sent me the box). For this small price to pay for the upgrade (notice your bill doesn't go down when your 'subsidy' has been paid for), I'm fired up. Extremely excited to be enjoying this day n age of technology. Maybe it's more of an age or demographic thing. Those of us 35/40+ are truly enjoying these advancements. HiDPI displays, incredible horsepower in laptops with SSD and NAND storage now becoming ubiquitous....and portable. And incredibly powerful.
It's hard for me to understand folks like you guys dismissing outright this level of engineering advancement and prowess. Mind blowing actually. It does make one wonder if there are actually paid folks from competing companies populating enthusiast boards like MR. Why not? Social media and forums, chat rooms and the rest are what we, the population are now garnering our news and reviews from.

Bizarre...the 5s is going to sell like hotcakes. It'll set another weekend, monthly and quarterly record for electronic device sales. But those of you unable to upgrade from the '5' are just fine. It's as fast as can be. Still atop most benchmark charts keeping pace with the latest and greatest Android products. Wait on the iPhone 6 and maybe THEN, you'll believe.
J

Intel is trying to compete in the mobile market (launch of baytrail) but even they are lukewarm about 64 bit support (mainly want it for servers- avaton). I don't doubt that 64 bit has advantages, I'm just concerned about whether those advantages makes sense against the drawbacks 64 bit brings.

64 bit increases performance sure but generally on windows/linux, etc (used for comparative purposes only) the greatest benefits are seen in RAM hungry applications (64 bit photoshop can be more than twice as fast as 32 bit photoshop when you are editing 3GB+ files). However, adding registers and increasing the width of the CPU WILL increase power consumption. The question is if the increased performance is worth the increased power.

Again the other question is of need. In context to increased gaming performance I haven't really seen any ps4/xbone devs excited about the move to 64 bit because of better efficiency (there could be but I haven't really seen it) but rather because they can use more RAM and have better open world environments.

Qualcomm builds their own Soc's (Krait). Intel does too. Apple licenses the GPU from Imagination and builds its own CPU while others license the CPU from ARM and build their own GPU.

Will absolutely provide today? Most articles enthusiastic about 64 bit say themselves that the major benefits will come in the future years.

Bus width is only part of the equation. Passing 32 bit data over a 64 bit bus will consume more power than using a 32 bit bus (benefit to 64 bit data though). Idle power use will be higher.

And sadly, I suspect that the 5S will still be only using 1 GB memory. Apple has made no mention of it in their announcements and if 2GB was standard you bet they would say something like "Double the RAM!" I'd rather have 2GB than 64 bit. (I could be and hope I am wrong).

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Intel is trying to compete in the mobile market (launch of baytrail) but even they are lukewarm about 64 bit support (mainly want it for servers- avaton). I don't doubt that 64 bit has advantages, I'm just concerned about whether those advantages makes sense against the drawbacks 64 bit brings.

64 bit increases performance sure but generally on windows/linux, etc (used for comparative purposes only) the greatest benefits are seen in RAM hungry applications (64 bit photoshop can be more than twice as fast as 32 bit photoshop when you are editing 3GB+ files). However, adding registers and increasing the width of the CPU WILL increase power consumption. The question is if the increased performance is worth the increased power.

Again the other question is of need. In context to increased gaming performance I haven't really seen any ps4/xbone devs excited about the move to 64 bit because of better efficiency (there could be but I haven't really seen it) but rather because they can use more RAM and have better open world environments.

Qualcomm builds their own Soc's (Krait). Intel does too. Apple licenses the GPU from Imagination and builds its own CPU while others license the CPU from ARM and build their own GPU.

Will absolutely provide today? Most articles enthusiastic about 64 bit say themselves that the major benefits will come in the future years.

Bus width is only part of the equation. Passing 32 bit data over a 64 bit bus will consume more power than using a 32 bit bus (benefit to 64 bit data though). Idle power use will be higher.

And sadly, I suspect that the 5S will still be only using 1 GB memory. Apple has made no mention of it in their announcements and if 2GB was standard you bet they would say something like "Double the RAM!" I'd rather have 2GB than 64 bit. (I could be and hope I am wrong).

I don't remember Apple ever mentioning a RAM change in their iOS keynotes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.