Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sprint has announced (via 9to5Mac) that it will be offering $100 off on both the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c to new customers who port their number to the carrier, dropping the price of the 16GB iPhone 5c to $0 and the price of the 16GB iPhone 5s to $99 with a two-year contract.

sprintdeal.png
The move comes shortly after news leaked of Sprint's upcoming "One Up" frequent device upgrade program, which will allow customers to upgrade their phones and tablets at regular intervals. It also comes four days after T-Mobile announced that it will be offering the iPhone 5c for $0 down and iPhone 5s for $99 down, although Sprint's prices only apply to new customers while T-Mobile's pricing applies to current and new customers.

With the promotion, which ends on October 10, 2013, the iPhone 5c will cost $0 for the 16GB model and $99 for the 32GB model while the iPhone 5s will cost $99 for the 16GB model, $199 for the 32GB model and $299 for the 64GB model. The iPhone 4s will still be $0.

The iPhone 5c can be pre-ordered immediately from Sprint's website, and the iPhone 5s will be available for order beginning on Friday, September 20.

Article Link: Sprint Offering $100 Off iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c for New Customers

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I hate that carriers don't give discounts and freebies to people that are loyal... :(

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Does that mean the iP5 will be $100 cash back, and the iP4S will be $200 cash back??

Or what about a refurb iP4 which sells for $99. FREE with no contract??

----------

I hate that carriers don't give discounts and freebies to people that are loyal... :(

Say it borta!!!

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
They should do this to current Sprint customers to keep them from jumping ship. Ive read a lot of complaints about Sprint everywhere and having gotten the 4S on Sprint 2 years ago I must give my .02 for future Sprint users.

When I first got the 4S the 3G speeds were bad. I'm talking dial up speed bad. I was pretty pissed about it but having signed a contract there's very little to be done. I was happy with the voice though because I never dropped a call in 2 years.
But then the speeds got better and now I'm getting on average around 1-1.5 Mbps. Now I know the other carriers are getting probably double on 3G let alone 4G but it's a capped data amount which to me is not worth it. I have used up to 12gb of data in 1 month because I had no Internet at home and used TetherMe a lot.
I'm not saying this will be the case everywhere but Sprint is def getting they're **** together. It's taking time but they can only get better.

If you're thinking of trying out Sprint then try it out. Don't like it then cancel before the 14 days are up. (I think it's 14 days)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I can't remember any other Apple launch when so many carriers and stores have offered such steep discounts. For Sprint, it could be an attempt to make up for all those iPhone purchases they had to guarantee from Apple. Or perhaps it's Apple ensuring that these iPhones sell like hotcakes to boost their faltering market share. Or maybe these are the "cheap" iPhones we've all been waiting for...

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Wow, big discounts right at launch? That makes the iPhone and Apple look bad. My oh my, times have changed. But hey, at least they still have their Apple faithful who'll line up in advance (showing they have nothing better to do in life) for a phone they could very easily order online , trying their best to build the hype that's just no longer there.

Last edited:

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Wow, big discounts right at launch? That makes the iPhone and Apple look bad. My oh my, times have changed.

Indeed, although look at the picture of the ad, not an iPhone in sight, and no mention in the fine print, either. :)

Preed08

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
They should do this to current Sprint customers to keep them from jumping ship. Ive read a lot of complaints about Sprint everywhere and having gotten the 4S on Sprint 2 years ago I must give my .02 for future Sprint users.

When I first got the 4S the 3G speeds were bad. I'm talking dial up speed bad. I was pretty pissed about it but having signed a contract there's very little to be done. I was happy with the voice though because I never dropped a call in 2 years.
But then the speeds got better and now I'm getting on average around 1-1.5 Mbps. Now I know the other carriers are getting probably double on 3G let alone 4G but it's a capped data amount which to me is not worth it. I have used up to 12gb of data in 1 month because I had no Internet at home and used TetherMe a lot.
I'm not saying this will be the case everywhere but Sprint is def getting they're **** together. It's taking time but they can only get better.

If you're thinking of trying out Sprint then try it out. Don't like it then cancel before the 14 days are up. (I think it's 14 days)

Those 3g speeds are very good. It is impossible to have double of 1.5 mbps (3) in real world scenarios since that is pretty much the theoretical max. Also your situation mirrors mine. I had been considering jumping to tmobile but i know the sprint network will be much better in the long run, and with the softbank acquisition they should give even ATT and VZW a run for their money

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I'm over the whole "smartphone" thing. Yes, I have an iPhone 5. Yes I'll probably upgrade next year to the 6 or whatever. No, I don't get excited like half the people here about it.

Why not? Because who cares? It's a phone/computer in your pocket. It's not some "new" thing anymore.

On a semi-related note... can't humanity just agree that "Television" as a fad is DONE and move on with things that will actually help people?

Might be serious, might be joking. You decide.

Who's with me?

PS... I don't think it makes Apple look bad per se. Maybe the phone companies are just realizing that no one wants to pay ridiculous prices for cell phone plans and the related equipment....

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Wow! And I mean that in a bad way.

I actually expect a sale out for the iPhone 5s just because of short stock. Apple wants people to stand in line for the free publicity. That should help Apple create buzz but it will suck because their losing potential sales.
And I know for sure the iPhone 5c will be a failure. It may not be upfront but in 1 to 2 months it will be old news. It's a forgettable colorful plastic iPhone 5. And after the holidays both phones will be irrelevant because of the rampant iPhone 6 rumors.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Those 3g speeds are very good. It is impossible to have double of 1.5 mbps (3) in real world scenarios since that is pretty much the theoretical max. Also your situation mirrors mine. I had been considering jumping to tmobile but i know the sprint network will be much better in the long run, and with the softbank acquisition they should give even ATT and VZW a run for their money

Yes, CDMA will only do 3mbps but I was also talking about the other 2 GSM carriers (att&tmobile) which will do double our 3G speeds on 3G. I too was considering the jump to tmobile in October when my Sprint contract is up but knowing they'll get their LTE coverage in all places they have 3G in 2014 I might just stick around. I agree the SoftBank acquisition will only help them get better. Not to mention them finally buying Clearwire and that whole mess and killing off Nextel and refarming their spectrum for their LTE.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Or perhaps it's Apple ensuring that these iPhones sell like hotcakes to boost their faltering market share.
In the US, iPhone market share has been increasing for a couple of quarters in a row, as iPhones become available at more carriers, thanks to subsidies that hide the cost of the phone.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Wow, big discounts right at launch? That makes the iPhone and Apple look bad. My oh my, times have changed. But hey, at least they still have their Apple faithful who'll line up in advance (showing they have nothing better to do in life) for a phone they could very easily order online , trying their best to build the hype that's just no longer there.

How does this make Apple look bad?? It is Sprint the one who's doing the promotion, not Apple. Apple still gets paid full price for every one of those iPhone sold with this promotion.

Also why do people mind what other people do with their time and money?? If someone wants to camp out outside a store for a product then so be it. They're not interfering with your life, so why judge them??

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
PS... I don't think it makes Apple look bad per se. Maybe the phone companies are just realizing that no one wants to pay ridiculous prices for cell phone plans and the related equipment....
I hope so. If we are lucky, these are the first steps towards a price war that will reduce monthly fees among all carriers.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown

This is about Sprint fighting off customer losses. Grab a cracker and hope it helps you "think" clearly.

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
This isn't new, this is how sprint convinced me over to them a few months ago. I quickly jumped ship within 14 days since I couldn't do a damn thing with my iPhone 5 on their LTE network. Sure I could text from anywhere, but I'd be damned if I got data anywhere on the network that didn't blow.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Lol Sprint reminds me of a company I used to work for. ONLY cares about new customers and could give a rats behind about existing customers.

griffd

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
Orlando, FL

do you have nothing better to do than to post negative comments about Apple fans?

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I hope so. If we are lucky, these are the first steps towards a price war that will reduce monthly fees among all carriers.

Doubt it. I posted my theory on that particular subject on a different thread. Search my posts.

...they're all in bed. ILLUSION of choice.

We'll continue to get screwed because the company(ies) KNOW they can screw us.

What else are we gonna do...use walkie talkies?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.