Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zanuzan

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2002
annoying noise

My work just got some new dual 1 gigs. It is beyong annoying in it's loudness. Every 3 minutes it goes on for about 10 seconds sounding like a vacuum cleaner.

I would almost prefer the noise to be constant.

Well now it's gone away! Good riddance! Maybe this was some sort of break-in period. Weird.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
What about a software fix for that large fan freak out?

Wouldn't a software fix be possible that would make the big fan run slowly all the time instead of freaking out every few minutes to the max and then dropping back off to off? Seems like Apple could come up with that sort of fix in the next .1 rev. or a third party could do it with a piece of freeware.

samboni

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2002
Ramona, CA
g4 noise.

Yep, I just bought a dual 867 g4 and the noise was just too much for me to take. The good news is that I finally forced me to build a partitioned space in my studio for all my computers. I should have done it long ago.

There is a great link for people with PCs for hybrid silencing gear.............
When I got my P4 pc I spent an extra $150 and now it's silent.

http://www.quietpc.com/

Unfortunately there are no vendors working with Mac hardware that I know of. If anyone knows anything out there........
lemme know..........

:confused:

samboni

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
lol

there are other cooling options besides fans, they have these copper rods that absorb the heat in smaller peecee boxes, why don't they come up with something revolutionary??

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Dual platform owners?

Originally posted by porovaara
Can someone compare the new powermac noise to say a high end Athlon of P4 box... louder? more quiet?
I have a P4 box with 2 80 mm fans in it. i also have one of the new Mirrored door dual ghz. they were pretty comparable. i never understood the fuss about the powermac fans getting loud until one day. i have a usb ati tv tuner device and it didnt work in os x or classic. so i booted into 9 and started using it, watching live tv. this is where my computer really cranked up. i guess the program was using all the cpu power this computer had to offer. that 120 mm fan inside blew at full force and sounding like a blow dryer in my room. other than that it is usually fine. I am always listening to itunes anyways so it really doesnt bother me. it is very quiet though when i put it to sleep. but since i built me pc there are no sensors to slow down my fans automatically. if anybody knows of any software that can do this automatically with out physical fan controllers let me know please. it gets really loud in me room when i go to bed. hope my info on both my computers could be any help. if you have anymore questions just email me. jtaylor2d@ipa.net

iJon

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Re: lol

Originally posted by davidc2182
there are other cooling options besides fans, they have these copper rods that absorb the heat in smaller peecee boxes, why don't they come up with something revolutionary??
Well, from what I remember from physics, there are three modes of heat transfer: radiation (heat fom the sun to the earth), conduction (the above mentioned copper rods), and convection (fans). Of these, convection is the most efficient. Therefore, fans are the most efficient way of cooling a computer, or oneself on a hot summer day, for that matter.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Good news! The noise problem has been solved and Apple is now replacing the motherboards of those machines who have been noisy.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20021028073945932

"Monday, October 28 2002 @ 07:28 AM PST
Power Mac G4 Mirrored Drive Door Fan Noise: Motherboard Flaw?

Robert Hamlin reports that Apple may be investigating, and potentially attempting to eliminate an excessive fan noise problem on its Power Mac G4 Mirrored Drive Door systems, a problem widely reported on MacFixIt:

"Received word today from my Apple Authorized Reseller of a new Apple announcement. Apple says loud G4 fan noise is due to a motherboard problem so that fans run at high fast speed. The solution is reportedly replacement of motherboard that Apple will provide and have installed under warranty."

The problem generally affects systems when running under Mac OS 9.2.2, and can currently be remedied by a hardware procedure that may void Apple's warranty."

tcmcam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
Motherboard fix only helps OS 9

Don't get too excited. The excessive fan noise issue is only a flaw if you are running OS 9. OS X will change the speed of the big fan.

The issue is still the two 60mm fans that are inside the power supply. They are Delta's and make a very distinctive "whine" sound.

I just replaced mine with two Sunon fans that don't move as much air, but are a whole lot quieter.

Check out: http://www.directron.com/60mmfans.html
for fans. The new Ever Cool's look like they have a good balance of airflow versus decibels.

Let's hope Apple comes up with a quieter PowerMac in the next generation. Time for watercooling....

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
i just got my new dual 1 gig. Sounds like an Airbus during takeoff.

:(

tcmcam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
Sunon Mag Lev

Yes, I did the work myself. Look on xl8yourmac.com. They have instructions.

Overall, it works great!!!

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Originally posted by pgwalsh
I was just in the Apple store in Palo Alot ...They did have a 2.2Ghz model in the store...
A couple people that had been using OS X 1.5 said they didn't notice a speed improvement.

WTF?? Who has 2.2Ghz mac? Who has OSX 1.5? These don't exist, unless my week long vacation a couple weeks ago was more like 12 months.

AAAGHHHHHH!

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by scem0
Maybe you shouldalways keep music playing, just to drown out the noise. It couldnt be that loud. Im sure disturbed or slipknot should do the trick :d.

Yes.. if I played Disturbed and Slipknot, the sound of my vomitting would almost definitely drown out my mac! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.