Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Hey everyone, My wife and I are looking at switching from AT&T to T-Moblie to save some money. Right now we spend about 160 a month and T-Moblie shows we would spend 80 for "unlimited everything". Can anyone confirm it's unlimited or have any experiences to share?

We aren't too worried about speeds for data. Thanks for any help.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hey everyone, My wife and I are looking at switching from AT&T to T-Moblie to save some money. Right now we spend about 160 a month and T-Moblie shows we would spend 80 for "unlimited everything". Can anyone confirm it's unlimited or have any experiences to share?

We aren't too worried about speeds for data. Thanks for any help.

The data is unlimited (2G speeds) yes, but only once you reach your plan's 4G cap.

So the $80 2 line plan, has 500MB of 4G data for each line, then once all used up switches to the unlimited edge.

I have the 2.5GB plan, and rarely go over 1.5GB of data each month.

agentdax5

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Have you considered an AT&T MNVO if you're happy with their coverage? T-Mobile is never been great for me but YMMV. You could get unlimited everything much cheaper.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The data is unlimited (2G speeds) yes, but only once you reach your plan's 4G cap.

So the $80 2 line plan, has 500MB of 4G data for each line, then once all used up switches to the unlimited edge.

I have the 2.5GB plan, and rarely go over 1.5GB of data each month.

dang, unlimited EDGE, how fast? can you stream stuff?

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
The $80 plans are unlimited. Not throttled after 4GB. They really are unlimited.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
OK, well my wife uses about 150-250Mb a month and I use around 500Mb. The unlimited sounds nice if we went on a trip somewhere and need directions (GPS). I have AT&T with the unlimited plan and my wife doesn't want to lose that peace of mind.
As of right now we are looking at moving to Chicago so coverage wont be an issue until we hit the road. Would the 2G be able to deliver GPS and maps?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
OK, well my wife uses about 150-250Mb a month and I use around 500Mb. The unlimited sounds nice if we went on a trip somewhere and need directions (GPS). I have AT&T with the unlimited plan and my wife doesn't want to lose that peace of mind.
As of right now we are looking at moving to Chicago so coverage wont be an issue until we hit the road. Would the 2G be able to deliver GPS and maps?

I travel a lot and have found there are times along rural interstates that T-Mobile's 2G is the only data you'll get. Most of the time this is fine for the GPS. However, there were times in the WV hills that we got nothing, however, after about 5 minutes it roamed to AT&T. Can't tether while data roaming but at least it worked on the phone. Had service even when my Verizon iPad had no signal, which is rare indeed.

I have 5 T-Mobile lines and only 2 have the 2.5 GB of 4G. Everyone else has been fine with 500MB 4G. I'm the only one who travels and everyone else lives in large metro areas where T-Mobile's 4G or LTE service are readily available. YMMV but we've also received much better support at the local T-Mobile stores than we ever did with AT&T.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.