Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
With this whole back and forth between who is to blame for Microsoft Office not working... I have to ask if everyone in here would be so forgiving if every other OS broke things between versions. Or is it just Apple that's allowed to force all of the developers to rush around to suit the changes they make?

I know when Windows Vista changed the driver model, everybody lost their minds completely.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I have to ask if everyone in here would be so forgiving if every other OS broke things between versions.

Generally every major OS update does break some things. It's a matter of degrees, there's a big difference between a few things breaking here and there and having to replace all drivers.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Nope. 10.8 had nine releases and it looks like we'll be about the same this time around.

They could release september 30 and october 7 and still have three weeks before public release by the end of October.

Well so far they have put out releases every 2 weeks so I don't see them breaking their pattern at this point. We'll get the GM in 2 weeks and then public release 3 weeks after. And 10.8 had 8 releases, not 9 if I remember correctly.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
With this whole back and forth between who is to blame for Microsoft Office not working... I have to ask if everyone in here would be so forgiving if every other OS broke things between versions. Or is it just Apple that's allowed to force all of the developers to rush around to suit the changes they make?

I know when Windows Vista changed the driver model, everybody lost their minds completely.

To clarify, Office isn't broken on Mavericks, there are some annoyances with its behavior (but that's not new ;)).

OS X and Windows have traditionally had different approaches to backwards compatibility, with OS X being the one more likely to make developers scramble, Windows being somewhat more forgiving and more focused on legacy code. To me, it's less about being "so forgiving" as it is about expectations. I expect to have to make changes with OS X or iOS apps, as an example.

mkmpanic

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2005
perpetual update notifications?

i keep receiving notifications for the update, but when i launch app store it says requires "restart"- machine restarts and takes me back to the app store saying i should update. I'm currently running OS X 10.9 (13A524d)

I've tried singing in/out of app store.

any suggestions?

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
Beachballing

So far DP 8 seems to be pretty stable on my machine. The only thing I have noticed is the apperance of random spinning beachballs when moving the pointer throughtout the screen, but it does not affect stability or performance. Cheers!

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Safari 7 and WebGL : Hmm. While your browser seems to support WebGL, it is disabled or unavailable. If possible, please ensure that you are running the latest drivers for your video card.

Firefox 24 and Chrom 29 works fine.

WebGL is disabled in Safari by default. You have to turn it on manually via the Develop Menu.

----------

i keep receiving notifications for the update, but when i launch app store it says requires "restart"- machine restarts and takes me back to the app store saying i should update. I'm currently running OS X 10.9 (13A524d)

I've tried singing in/out of app store.

any suggestions?

Are you using FileVault?

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
FYI, in 10.9, the Info tab is missing from iTunes. For those that sync contacts, bookmarks, and calendars using iTunes (in lieu of iCloud), 10.9 might be a disappointment for you.

Perhaps the Info tab will reappear before release, but it seems to be an intentional direction. The tab is present on 10.8 running 11.1 beta 2, but was not present on 10.9 DP 7 running beta 2.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Generally every major OS update does break some things. It's a matter of degrees, there's a big difference between a few things breaking here and there and having to replace all drivers.

I guess that makes sense.

It's just that sometimes I get the feeling from some posters that 'Apple knows best' is their mentality.

----------

To clarify, Office isn't broken on Mavericks, there are some annoyances with its behavior (but that's not new ;)).

OS X and Windows have traditionally had different approaches to backwards compatibility, with OS X being the one more likely to make developers scramble, Windows being somewhat more forgiving and more focused on legacy code. To me, it's less about being "so forgiving" as it is about expectations. I expect to have to make changes with OS X or iOS apps, as an example.

And that isn't a good thing, to expect that scramble. I guess it does keep OS X debs working, though. ;)

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Other

- Moving a full-screen Aperture window to a secondary display may prevent the app window from being visible in subsequent attempts to use full screen.
- In Full Screen in Aperture, some menus and thumbnails aren’t immediately available until interacted with by the user.
- When in Full Screen in Aperture, the toolbar at the top of the window may not be usable until it is locked.

Apple just don't seem to be able to get full-screen to work properly in Aperture :rolleyes:

Currently there is a long-standing problem whereby if you use Aperture full-screen, then switch back to windowed mode, when you minimize it clicking the Dock icon no longer restores the window - you have to right-click the icon and select Aperture from the menu.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Apple just don't seem to be able to get full-screen to work properly in Aperture :rolleyes:

Currently there is a long-standing problem whereby if you use Aperture full-screen, then switch back to windowed mode, when you minimize it clicking the Dock icon no longer restores the window - you have to right-click the icon and select Aperture from the menu.

Don't worry they will release version 4.0 soon.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Well so far they have put out releases every 2 weeks so I don't see them breaking their pattern at this point. We'll get the GM in 2 weeks and then public release 3 weeks after. And 10.8 had 8 releases, not 9 if I remember correctly.

So far this time around. With 10.8 they started out further apart and later on they had releases a week apart. Releases have gotten closer together toward the end with iOS releases as well. Not to mention that late October is a rumor at this point, not an announced window. And there were nine builds of 10.8 including the GM. Full list of betas with dates here:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_10.8_Mountain_Lion

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
And that isn't a good thing, to expect that scramble. I guess it does keep OS X debs working, though. ;)

Like another poster said, every OS release (regardless of flavor) will break stuff. And most people that write software for an OS don't mind if things change, we just like to know about it (and yes, it does keep us employed ;)). To add to my earlier statement, while they don't go out of their way to maintain backwards compatibility in some cases, you do tend to get fair warning of deprecation and doesn't tend to be a shock. Deprecation in most modern operating systems is a matter of course, including in Windows.

There have been issues during the course of this series of Mavericks releases that broke applications that were clearly on the Apple side to fix. Some issues were in their own software but certainly some third-party (that I don't remember off the top of my head unfortunately) as well that once a succeeding release came out, the issues went away. So in some cases, Apple does do the fixing. My guess with the Microsoft beach ball issue is that it is Microsoft related and that once Mavericks goes live they'll issue a patch and can't really do it before because it's Mavericks-specific. Why it happened with Mavericks would only be speculation and may or may not be Apple's fault.

The Deepness

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
I just hope it comes with a refresh of hardware, for the iMacs.

I'm really hoping for this too! I had a break-in a week ago and the @**holes stole my iMac. Thanks to the Find My iPhone app, it's already been recovered, returned, and restored. The burglars should be in custody soon. It was totally thrashed though. Won't replace it until the new iMacs arrive, presumeably with Mavericks, Haswell CPUs, and 802.11ac. A price drop wouldn't hurt either.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I was reading through the thread wondering why I was so lucky that my Office 2011 (via an Office 365 subscription) installation was working. I use it nearly every day, most often Excel, usually spreadsheets stored in the local SkyDrive folder, and I haven't had a single issue. I use Word a fair amount too.

Bibbler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
The Mon Valley!
It's not Apple's job to make sure other's software works. They change the OS to how they want, then others fix their software to work with it. It's the same with Windows, so don't get your panties in a wad.

Please tell me that you're joking. That is the most uninformed and ignorant post I have read on a forum in years...

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I was reading through the thread wondering why I was so lucky that my Office 2011 (via an Office 365 subscription) installation was working. I use it nearly every day, most often Excel, usually spreadsheets stored in the local SkyDrive folder, and I haven't had a single issue. I use Word a fair amount too.

Yeah - quite literally the only issue I have is the beach ball on meeting reminders on my office exchange account. For me, Outlook locks up for 15-30 seconds while it pulls together the invites. Other than that, the suite is working as well as it ever does.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
How has it been improved, or are you not allowed to talk about it?

It's more stable. I'm not seeing any crashes, beach-balling, freezing, or memory leaks [in the Activity Monitor ]. That's how it appears to have improved. I'm actually starting to like Safari now :p

Chrome [ Version 29.0.1547.65 ] is being a bit moody with the ' Google Chrome Helper ' Not Responding every few hours and causing memory leak [ although nothing major ]. Needs to be re-started to plug the leak [ till it happens again in a few hours i.e. ~ 8-10 hrs ]

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Few consumers in the general market will have non Apple SSDs. So no, they probably aren't in a rush to add something that encourages the .1% to do something they would rather you didn't.

Not really sure why they'd want me to *not* have TRIM support on my MBP, just because I decided to buy an SSD on Amazon instead of ordering one from Apple.

Is it really in their best interest that my SSD becomes slower and less reliable with time? I don't think Apple has such aggressive anti-consumer policies, but I might be wrong.

If it's something that's enabled by default on SSD-based iMacs, MBPs (Retina and non-Retina), etc, I really don't understand why they can't just add a simple check that determines if your drive is an SSD and, if so, automatically sets TRIM support to on.

Guess I just have to live with Apple's seemingly punishing decisions and its apologists, who just forgive any and every thing the company does.

I'll just keep using TRIM Enabler, tyvm!

BrooklynAl

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Chrome

I usually use FireFox but Chrome is extremely fast and responsive. Console showing some some problems with the Chrome helper... But in spite of that it is lightening fast. It appears Chrome will be my primary browser for Mavericks.

9/17/13 6:50:53.223 PM Google Chrome Helper[858]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd.
9/17/13 6:50:53.223 PM Google Chrome Helper[858]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.