Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ochyandkaren

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Lisbon
Yep everyone of those is bad, down right dangerous in fact.

It is the gun control mentality that has sweep the country. It is the idea that government can make people safe. The reality is that it never turns out that way and you end up living in fear of the government.

That is bull crap, Obama and nobody else is directly responsible for the current expansion. To say other wise is to deny facts that have come to light over the year. Remember Bush was almost 8 years ago now.

I'm not one to get into discussion with people that don't grasp the facts.

Facts?
When was the No Such Agency erected?
Military advisers are administration independent, no?
Obama is working with Bush/Clinton/Bush father men/women.

Stop the madness.
Stop it already, AH!, AH!

When did the USA reached its peak?
When there was a government, when the government used to invest on its people.
It was the GI bill that build the USA huge middle class.

Do You want a corporate security/Government?
The Koch brothers can do that, with help from friends at Fox News

Stop this teaParty nonsense.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Im all for unlocked phones. Only brought 1 locked phone in my life. But I don't think america is ready yet. Most Americans are paying $300 max for their smartphones. Once they all become unlocked. They'll be paying a $500+ for iphones and flagship android phones. Even the low end samsung phones are like $250 unlocked.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
You misunderstood my point. I wasn't saying that companies don't have to listen to the government. I am saying that the government should not be able to tell companies what prices/contracts/phones they can and cannot offer, so long as they don't hurt anyone. Of course, government does do things it shouldn't, and companies have to go along to get along.

I love it. I bet you pick and choose where you want that government intervention. Are you OK with utilities charging whatever they want? How about insurance companies writing any contract they wanted and not have rates reviewed/regulated? Anywhere there is a risk for oligopoly, big business has proven time and again they'll take advantage of the customers.

Is it mere coincidence that AT&T and Verizon usually come out with identical plans, promotions and policies even though the 'free market' would normally result in competition?

Not saying all government intervention is good....but I think there are times when it is for the good of the consumer.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
This is the fundamental disagreement. I can see how your argument makes sense from your basic philosophy on government, so trying to convince you that the government shouldn't do this would require you changing your entire outlook, which is just impossible in an online forum (and probably in any circumstance).

You're absolutely right.

Gravity

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Chicago
what about subsidies??

Won't this destroy the subsidies by the carriers? Will we have to start paying full price for phones???

saha-med

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Back here in singapore, carriers are not allowed to sell locked phones. Thus the carriers price the 16gb 5s at 420usd on a 2-year plan which comes at a 30usd monthly subscription. Comparing the high prices paid for phones on contract here vs in the US, there might be a chance the heavy subsidies will leave together with the locked phones

cuda12

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Miami, FL
Question: Would you enjoy living in a world where your town had only three theaters and a single movie studio owned them all? So, for example, you could see paramount movies, but never anyone else's films.

Because that's how it used to be until the government stepped in. Would you like us to go back to that system? Your stance says 'yes' to me, but I can't really understand that desire. Care to explain?

I would not enjoy that, but other people don't exist to make me happy. If Paramount owns the movie theater, they can show whatever they like. If I don't like it, I can start my own theater, watch movies online (I realize this wasn't possible in the past, but the Internet does help free markets tremendously), organize a boycott of Paramount, or try to get another theater started some way.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
“All mobile phones produced by labor must be unlocked for the people”
Karl Marx (if he were still alive)

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Back here in singapore, carriers are not allowed to sell locked phones. Thus the carriers price the 16gb 5s at 420usd on a 2-year plan which comes at a 30usd monthly subscription. Comparing the high prices paid for phones on contract here vs in the US, there might be a chance the heavy subsidies will leave together with the locked phones

30$ per month is pretty cheap. Try $90 per month.

nehemiascr

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
When all phones are required to be unlocked on demand, you can kiss the $99 or $199 iPhone goodbye. They'll START at $499 or $549, to reflect the true retail value of the phones. It's locking that makes subsidized prices possible.

buying the phone on credit is what makes subsidized prices possible.

kenwk

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
When all phones are required to be unlocked on demand, you can kiss the $99 or $199 iPhone goodbye. They'll START at $499 or $549, to reflect the true retail value of the phones. It's locking that makes subsidized prices possible.

I think you are wrong, there is a thing call contract?

Ochyandkaren

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Lisbon
Glad you mentioned that! Actually, Obama is PETITIONING the FCC to require cell carriers to unlock phones. Guess who created the FCC for the purpose of regulating telecommunications, your bff, CONGRESS!! Funny how these things work right?

The government working against its people.
Classic.

Who is to blame?
- Who elected such Congress/government?

People deserve the politicians they have, in a Democracy, that is.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

lmao, you are locked to the contract, not the phone, for all intents of the carriers, you can lose your phone, but you will still be bound to doing a 2 year sentence. Having them unlocked changes nothing for the carriers, except their international roaming fees.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Sure we'll go ahead and unlock your phones, but we'll just stop subsidizing them and won't allow other carrier phones on our network.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Awesome news. This would make the US one step closer to having a decent cellular market. This would be great for consumers and good for competition. Allowing customers to move more freely to the carrier that offers the best plans, prices, coverage rather than devices.

Hopefully it will put a dent in the whole "subsidy" thing we have going on right now and make us closer to the way cellular companies operate in other developed nations.

cuda12

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Miami, FL
I love it. I bet you pick and choose where you want that government intervention. Are you OK with utilities charging whatever they want? How about insurance companies writing any contract they wanted and not have rates reviewed/regulated? Anywhere there is a risk for oligopoly, big business has proven time and again they'll take advantage of the customers.

Is it mere coincidence that AT&T and Verizon usually come out with identical plans, promotions and policies even though the 'free market' would normally result in competition?

Not saying all government intervention is good....but I think there are times when it is for the good of the consumer.

I don't pick and choose, but you seem to.

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
OK- so are they asking that this be done despite carriers offering incentives to customers by selling discounted phone? Or is this for companies to do on non-discounted phones or phones off of contract?

You still have a 2 year contract with an ETF. I can still pay the subsidies on an unlocked phone. if i choose to cancel my service and take my phone elsewhere fine, i still have to pay the $350 ETF.

Locked devices have nothing to do with subsidies

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.

Not correct.
The contract of service and ETF make the prices possible.
This will have no effect on your contract, even if you unlock and sell the phone.

If forces them to unlock phone for people like me that pay full retail.
Verizon unlock it's phone for international use but still locked for domestic carriers, even after you pay full retail or fulfill your contract.

BeauPaul

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2011
Windsor Locks, Connecticut
...that's it? That's your response? You're no fun at all. I was hoping for someone to actually challenge me in a constitutional debate. You failed way too quickly.

----------

Are you capable of free thought and fact analysis?

Are you capable of buying a product without the gov't telling you what's good for us. If no one wants the product or cannot afford it, the company will eventually go out of business or we'll get some great competition. Stop depending on Gov't to regulate everything.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
Won't this destroy the subsidies by the carriers? Will we have to start paying full price for phones???

The only people who would suffer by this are the vendors because people would get a new phone every 5 years....

If they stop subsidies I predict that phone prices would fall just like TV's and all other consumer products.

After all you can buy a 50" LCD TV now for less than an unsubsidized iPhone.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Sure we'll go ahead and unlock your phones, but we'll just stop subsidizing them and won't allow other carrier phones on our network.
This has already been repeated multiple times.
1) They wouldn't stop subsidizing them, even if your phone is unlocked, you are still bound to your contract under threat of an early termination fee which would completely cover your phone subsidy.

2) Why the hell would they not allow other carriers phones on their network? That would be stupid business on their part, they would be turning away a customer who would just go to another network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.