Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
urgghhh simply terrible, i hate these shoes i hate those covers...what happened to design???

i cringe everytime i see grown men wearing crock shoes!!!! i would cringe when i see a grown man sporting this tacky cover.

$(KGrHqJHJFMFID(gDDbCBSC9S4ZsV!~~60_58.JPG

i wouldn't pay $1 for this ****

covers_0.jpg

Last edited:

rk25123

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
No one does.

That's the most logical design, and way better than the polka dots in my opinion. Also solves the writings problem, can't believe they didn't think of that. Probably they wanted more color to show?
I still think the "pink" looks weird, it's more like a washed red...

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I think they look alright, maybe for $9.99, not $29.99.

A white 5C with the blue case would look sharp I think (or vice versa).

Better get used to the dots/circles, it's all over iOS7.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
^^ the shiny plastic of the case packaging is deceptive. The cases have a nice matte finish. Soft, but not sticky.
I wished the iPhone 5c itself had a nice matte finish. There was a leaked white backside that didn't had the glossy treatment. I really liked that. Too bad it wasn't the real thing. :(

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Ugly

The absolute ugliest thing about this case is the partial covering of 'iPhone' text. Totally unprofessional and hard to believe they let this happen. Jobs would never have let this case out the door.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Yep, this 5c case is far beneath Apple's design standards. Even worse than the new Safari icon.

And to see how Apple proudly shows off the 'hon'/'non' on their oh-so-neat website is just embarrassing. It's like an unsightly nip-slip of a Hollywood superstar on the red carpet.

Last edited:

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
While the 5s cases appear to be viable case options, people should seriously consider other 5c cases. Maybe if Apple introduced 5c cases without holes...

I agree, but they will sell millions. Not everyone shops around for cases, I think many people just buy what's handy in the store and Apple and their partners will push them to 5c buyers hard.

Personally, I'm still happy with my Magpul Executive Field Case and the price is fantastic.

I can see how it ties into all the circle elements in iOS 7.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Really disappointed by all the negative comments.

Riveting design if you ask me.

I really wonder about the people who comment on this forum sometimes...

Shame-sung fanboys in disguise?

i wonder more about people who use names like "shame-sung" and "fanboys". just because we don't like an apple made product automatically makes us that? are we not allowed to have our opinions and still like other apple products? :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
urgghhh simply terrible, i hate these shoes i hate those covers...what happened to design???

i cringe everytime i see grown men wearing crock shoes!!!! i would cringe when i see a grown man sporting this tacky cover.

You've just given me a huge motivation to buy one. I just love to annoy snobs like you.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Since I'm from Pittsburgh and am a huge sports fan, I'm looking forward to getting my yellow iPhone 5c and my black case just showed up yesterday. However, I think that is the only color combination with the case/phone that works well in that aspect. And I actually am glad there are holes in the back. Everyone is always excited about the color of their product, but don't really get to show if off, so unless you have a clear case, these things are kind of nice.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
i wonder more about people who use names like "shame-sung" and "fanboys". just because we don't like an apple made product automatically makes us that? are we not allowed to have our opinions and still like other apple products? :rolleyes:

OTOH, you have the snobs who think that nobody should like something because they don't.

dylanspronck

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
They should've ditched the holes in favour for a cutout in the shape of the Apple logo, bigger than the logo on the phone itself so you could still see the colour of the phone as secondary edge of the apple.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The holes are a classic Marc Newson design element....http://www.fashionforchetta.it/interview-with-designer-marc-newson/

Holes, circles and perforations have been around as design motifs for decades at least. They derive from the machine aesthetic that began to be incorporated into consumer products during the 1930s and became really big during the '60s. Ive's use of it in the iPhone cases seems a bit retro (intentional or otherwise), but not shocking. What is shocking to me is the revulsion so many are expressing to a motif that is hardly radical or weird, and especially since none of these instant art critics have actually set eyes on them.

flashframe

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
West Coast
Holes, circles and perforations have been around as design motifs for decades at least. They derive from the machine aesthetic that began to be incorporated into consumer products during the 1930s and became really big during the '60s. Ive's use of it in the iPhone cases seems a bit retro (intentional or otherwise), but not shocking. What is shocking to me is the revulsion so many are expressing to a motif that is hardly radical or weird, and especially since none of these instant art critics have actually set eyes on them.

True, but my point is that Ive has been working recently with Marc Newson.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Really disappointed by all the negative comments.
Riveting design if you ask me.
I really wonder about the people who comment on this forum sometimes...
Good that least someone likes the new design. :)

Still, I don't think the reactions should be any surprise on this forum.

Apple's clear (sometimes even "clean") design language and mostly minimalist form has always been a point of attraction for me.

This case, however, seems quite a bold antithesis to that. Its design is more "ornamental" than anything Apple has done in the last 10-15 years, on any hardware product. At least I can't think of any Apple (hardware) product rivaling it in that regard.

Thus, whether you like or not, it comes across as being very un-Apple-ish. Consequently, the reaction among the Apple majority of the faithful frequenting forums this forums shouldn't be any surprise.

I personally don't like the new case at all. Though I don't really mind Apple taking a more daring approach towards their iPhone cases. You might just as well call it a "breath of fresh air", if you'd prefer to put a more positive spin on it. ;-)

Fine with me - as long as they don't mess with the phones themselves.

Last edited:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Good that least someone likes the new design. :)

Still, I don't think the reactions should be any surprise on this forum.

Apple's clear (sometimes even "clean") design language and mostly minimalist form has always been a point of attraction for me.

This case, however, seems quite a bold antithesis to that. Its design is more "ornamental" than anything Apple has done in the last 10-15 years, on any hardware product. At least I can't think of any Apple (hardware) product rivaling it in that regard.

Thus, whether you like or not, it comes across as being very un-Apple-ish. Consequently, the reaction among the Apple majority of the faithful frequenting forums this forums shouldn't be any surprise.

I personally don't like the new case at all. Though I don't really mind Apple taking a more daring approach towards their iPhone cases. You might just as well call it a "breath of fresh air", if you'd prefer to put a more positive spin on it. ;-)

Fine with me - as long as they don't mess with the phones themselves.

First, I wonder how anyone could seriously critique the design of any product that they have seen only in photographs. This is unsurprising given the shoot-from-the-hip approach lots of people take on this forum. Seems like everybody wants to be the first to declare a verdict. You might ask how often these instant critics are right and how often they are wrong. Mostly wrong, it seems to me.

We could argue all day long whether Apple's design approach can be accurately described as "minimalist" or something else, but one thing I don't think can be argued with a straight face is that a phone case is a piece of "hardware." It's an accessory. As far as how it works as design, I will wait until I see them before deciding. Strange as that may seem.

OrangeJacketGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Can't believe nobody noticed...

There have been six pages of this and nobody noticed that the case pictured at the beginning looks like a Dalek.

Good design?! EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.