Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After being introduced at Apple's September 10 iPhone event, the third game in the Infinity Blade series has been released in the App Store. Though it runs on multiple devices, Infinity Blade III has been optimized for both the iPhone 5s and iOS 7.

infinityblade1.jpg
The game includes the same tap-to-move controls found in the original two titles, as well as a larger, more immersive game world that features new quests, side missions, and ClashMob engagements. There are two playable characters, Siris and Isa, along with three new game modes that offer group-based challenges.

Our sister site TouchArcade has published a review of the game that highlights some of the new features, noting that Infinity Blade III "takes the familiar Infinity Blade formula and tweaks it to the point of perfection."

infinityblade2.jpg
One really has to reach to even come up with anything bad to say about Infinity Blade III. You could argue that it's not enough of a departure from the previous games, but when we're looking at the conclusion of a trilogy I think it's totally appropriate to take what the last two games were about and tighten that up in any small way you can. You also still don't have any kind of free roaming ability, if there's anyone out there who is still worked up about that.

Infinity Blade III is launching this week, and I feel like at some point we've called each subsequent Infinity Blade game the best game on the App Store, at least in some regard. Infinity Blade III follows in the footsteps of its predecessors, and everyone with an iOS device capable of running it needs to download Infinity Blade III. From a gameplay perspective it's super fun, the plot has me totally sucked in, and calling Infinity Blade III a technical masterpiece is an understatement.
In addition to its in-depth review, TouchArcade has also provided a detailed plot guide, which walks gamers through the storyline of the first two games.

Infinity Blade III is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for $6.99. [Direct Link] It supports both iOS 6 and iOS 7 and runs on the iPhone 4 and higher, the iPad 2 and higher, the iPad mini, and the fourth and fifth-generation iPod touches.

Article Link: 'Infinity Blade III' Hits the App Store Ahead of iOS 7 Launch

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
Is it worth buying on an iPhone 5? I really want it, but not willing to buy it if it's going to give me a worse experience than it would on a 5s (if it's small graphics stuff like shadows though, idc).

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Is it worth buying on an iPhone 5? I really want it, but not willing to buy it if it's going to give me a worse experience than it would on a 5s (if it's small graphics stuff like shadows though, idc).

According to the review, it does. I'll definitely try it on iPad 4.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Now clearly it's not going to be as good on iPhone 5 as 5S. But it will be by no means bad, so go get it.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I enjoyed the first 2, but quit after the 'lose all inventory/ gems' bug struck me two times too many.

As much as I'd like to see how it ends, I'm not willing to risk another glitchy game or their subpar support.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Recently sold all my iOS devices. If this was available on Android, I would easily pay $10+ for it. Loved the first two.

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
this game is definitely optimized for iOS7...

I've played only a few rounds so far, but it runs much smoother on my iPhone 4 than IB 1 and 2.

Can't wait to play this on my 5S, if I can get one before they sell out.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I would get it, but I'm not sure what the graphics would look like on the iPad 2 as they will most likely scale them down.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Snagged it this morning but won't really get a chance to play much until Friday. :( But I'm glad to know that there is a 3! With only a couple minor updates of 2 and no word of 3 I was thinking that was the end.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Yes! The great thing about these titles from Chair is that they play well on older hardware (IB2 plays quite smooth on my 4th gen iPod Touch), albeit without some of the higher end eye-candy.

I would expect IB3 to do the same scaling.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
There needs to be a comparison guide showing the different graphics effects on different devices. The newer the device the more glitter that is enabled is my understanding.

whistler222

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
anyone weary of the IAP showing coins for 49.99???

can anyone who's gotten the game comment on the need for IAP?

i get free games requiring IAP to go on, but if you pay 7 bucks.. it should be a pretty complete game no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.