Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgqueens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Denmark
Hi I was thinking about getting a new mouse for when I´m (on the rare orcation) is gaming in OS X and Windows on my MBP.

Will the Apple Magic Mouse be a bad choice ? and can I adjust the mouse speed by gestures on the mouse directly ?

On advance thanks for the advice :D

FluffyPop

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
I love the Magic Mouse for general navigation around the OS, but it's terrible for gaming. You can't press the right button without taking your finger off the left one first, it moves with some resistance because of the two large rails underneath, it lacks a physical scroll wheel that some games rely on etc.

I ended up with a Magic Mouse for general OS X use - which it is amazing for - and a Logitech gaming mouse for gaming and apps that work best with more than one physical button and a scroll wheel (like Blender).

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
I'm not a huge gamer, but in my experience any apple mouse is terrible when it concerns gaming. You need the 2 physical buttons that apple mice don't offer. For example, I used to play a lot of team fortress 2. When you play as heavy, you can use the right button to spin up his mini gun and then the left to fire. With an apple mouse this isn't possible without remapping buttons. you can probably get a much more suitable mouse for a lot cheaper than the magic mouse if its gaming that you want to be honest.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Apple Magic mouse is horrible for everything. Its the single least ergonomic input device I have had the (dis)pleasure of using. On desktop, I would use the magic trackpad + an extra gaming mouse.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
No. And for a very simple reason: it cannot do two things at once.

You're either scrolling, left clicking, or right clicking. Seeing as most games may require multiple inputs at once, well, you're at quite a disadvantage there.

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
As someone who plays a lot of games and has owned 2 Apple Magic mouses, I think I can chime in - certainly no. It is fantastic for work. But gaming? Nah. And who the hell does serious gaming on Mac? :confused:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
As someone who plays a lot of games and has owned 2 Apple Magic mouses, I think I can chime in - certainly no. It is fantastic for work. But gaming? Nah. And who the hell does serious gaming on Mac? :confused:

I do, its great! ;)

borgqueens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Denmark
Thanks all for your great advice and sharing your experience. Then I´m gonna stick to the Logitec mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.