Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Airport Utility update is huge!

Wow, the Airport Utility update is pretty big. They've basically exposed every single setting possible, including NAT, DHCP, and even IPv6, which has been missing on the latest OS X versions. This is night and day compared to the previous stripped down incarnations.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Wow, the Airport Utility update is pretty big. They've basically exposed every single setting possible, including NAT, DHCP, and even IPv6, which has been missing on the latest OS X versions. This is night and day compared to the previous stripped down incarnations.

This is great. It's a different direction for Apple which seems to be making things 'simpler' and hiding settings.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I thought the same thing...

----------

I think they probably feel the iPad is good for viewing the full Apple website...but who knows.

I usually do use the website on both iPhone and iPad
but the app has some functions the website doesn't.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Do you guys reckon that iTunes will get a new icon for 11.1? That would be the 3rd new icon in as many years, but considering it's glossy look is a no-no in the Apple factory, it doesn't seem completely unlikely.

Or will they wait until OS X 10.10? (that looks odd btw. OS X 10.X. Very off-topic, but I felt it was very odd that they dropped Mac from Mac OS X instead of the X, since frankly it's abit odd to be talking about OS ten, so many years after. Just call it Mac OS 11 or whatever instead. inconsistent branding ftw)

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Interestingly I've just updated and it has not changed the UI..

Same here, mine doesn't have the update ui, I restarted the phone to see if it might make a difference but it still looks just like the old version, only the icon was updated.

cogitodexter

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Naaaaaaarfolk, England
iTunes store unavailable for me too.

Forget what the nay-sayers spew about Apple, iOS 7 is big news and it looks like Apple's servers are going to be melting today. Par for the course I guess. I'd love to update everything today, but I expect it'll be a day or two before the update servers cool down enough to get a reliable connection/download speed.

The price of popularity! :)

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Man, I'm going through application update fatigue syndrome.:eek:

Seems that's all that been happening with the upcoming OS.

In all seriousness, I cannot wait until applications update in the background (thanks John McCain ;)).

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
5s sensor support?

Wondering if the app will now support the purchase with fingerprint sensor like iTunes purchases will do on the 5S. If so, there are clearly API hooks in the system to provide this authentication for any app at a later time, not just the core apps which would be very similar as any IAM solution.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Wondering if the app will now support the purchase with fingerprint sensor like iTunes purchases will do on the 5S. If so, there are clearly API hooks in the system to provide this authentication for any app at a later time, not just the core apps which would be very similar as any IAM solution.

I'm sure Apple will release an API that will authenticate. The fingerprint won't be given to the 3rd party app, just match it against a stored password.

So basically, you enter the password for the app, it then pops up a notification if you want to authorize your fingerprint to unlock, accept, and going forward, the app will authenticate with your finger print.

I just don't see Apple allowing third party apps direct access to this.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I thought the same thing...

----------

I think they probably feel the iPad is good for viewing the full Apple website...but who knows.

For quick purchasing the app is 10x better than viewing the site on the ipad.

I guess apple feels the same way about including a weather and stock app on the ipad. They think its just easy to view online.

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
I'm sure Apple will release an API that will authenticate. The fingerprint won't be given to the 3rd party app, just match it against a stored password.

So basically, you enter the password for the app, it then pops up a notification if you want to authorize your fingerprint to unlock, accept, and going forward, the app will authenticate with your finger print.
That's exactly what an IAM solution does... :) They won't allow direct access to the data point itself, just a yes/no match response. But I am just wondering if there already is an undocumented API that they are testing out through their own apps. And then opening that up at a later time would be something really powerful and because the sensor is home button based, it's non-intrusive and almost natural for any iOS user.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Are app updates down?

The App store application on my phone and iPad both give me a list of applications to update -- a bunch of them have new updates today.

But, when I try to update one (or all), I get: Cannot connect to iTunes Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.