Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Realmac Software today launched a new version of its to-do app Clear, which features iPad support for the first time. The universal app has also been redesigned for iOS 7, adding some subtle UI tweaks along with a number of new features.

Clear for iOS 7 includes a flatter look to match the design of Apple's operating system, along with a lighter, thinner font. The app has been created to take advantage of the parallax feature in iOS 7 and it also includes several new themes for a customized look.

clear2.jpg
iCloud support has been bundled into the new app, which means it is able to sync between multiple devices. Clear for iOS 7 also syncs with both Clear for Mac and the previous iOS 6 version of Clear.
Say hello to Clear for iOS 7 - available for iPhone, iPod touch and (finally!) iPad in one Universal app. We hope you enjoy the refined UI that feels right at home on iOS 7, some new themes and iPad-only features:

-List Peek - Pull down with two fingers to preview a list in the sidebar.
-Easily move tasks between lists
-Even easier-to-find Settings - just swipe from the left edge of the screen!

Clear for iPhone also now shows you the list name when you're viewing a set of tasks.
Clear for iOS 7 is a new app and not an update to the iOS 6 version of the app, which means both new and old users must re-purchase. Realmac is currently offering the new app for $2.99, discounted from its regular price of $4.99.

clear1.jpg
Clear is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for $2.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Realmac Software Launches Universal 'Clear' To-Do App With iOS 7 Redesign

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Yea, not paying again for what should have been a universal app in the first place.

Glad I paid $0.99, but there are way better to-do apps for free.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
how much is this company paying you to cover this (cr)App?

You're correct that MR is far from unbiased, but I don't think it's a financial reason. It seems to me that if MR has ever covered anything for any reason, they'll continue covering the smallest things pertaining to it until the end of time. That's why they cover every single app from Rovio, for example.

macachia

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
talk about double dipping! I paid for Clear when it got released and I can barely see any difference with the 'new' ios7 app.

Very disappointed even if it's for a measly 2.99usd

Anthropogenesis

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Paraguay
Ooh, they changed to a lighter font! Better whip out the credit card.

Clear is about as basic of a to-do app as there is, hiding beneath an interesting UI.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
i will clear(ly) pass on this re-purchase wasn't impressed with the first one.

jomo25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Sad that they are charging again for it. If anything, they should allow previous owners to upgrade for a small price like $0.99. Offer a rebate if the App Store doesn't allow that. Or make it in app purchase from the old one to the new one.

Personally,I stopped using Clear a while back. Once reminders and notes got synced, clear became less valuable. And that there was no undo function in the Mac app (which I had also purchased) I lost one critical list because it synced the bad list overwriting the good one with no way to undo that.

I think this pay for stuff again for ios7 versions is going to be a black eye. I can understand charging, but they need to find a way to deeply discount it for previous buyers.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
They enabled the status bar and added a list title under it and they have the audacity to call this an iOS 7 design and charge users again for the update.

Realmac is EVERYTHING that is bad with OS X/iOS developers.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Just paid for a Reeder update... I use that everyday. NOT paying again for this... if these devs think I'm re-buying all my apps to "work" with iOS 7, they have another thing coming...

Bryan

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I wouldn't mind paying if they had called it Clear HD (with included universal support) and they had kept the original as an iPhone only. However, according to their blog they're actually discontinuing the original meaning it'll never be updated again. It makes it seem as if they weren't willing to put in the time to make an app that's compatible with both iOS 6 and 7.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
That thin font is going to cause readability problems with some of the lower-contrast colors they're using. Form over function, which is not a great formula for a task app.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
These greedy douche bags want to charge us again for a minuscule (and in my opinion worse) UI update? They can screw themselves. I'm done with this company.

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
I use Clear quite regularly and have really liked it. Yes, it sucks that the iOS 7 version will cost $2.99, but it's universal now, and there's a new iPad version.

App Developers can't be expected to update and innovate forever. There aren't ads on Clear, so, how else do they cover costs for Clear's production? Just as a new edition of a book costs more, it's no surprise we have to buy again.

People forget that lots of the apps they buy won't last forever.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
Wow, I can't believe they are barely changing it and forcing users to buy it again. I can understand some apps, like 1Password, going universal and recharging for it, but this is essentially a scam.

Also, I love MacRumors, but I wonder how much App makers pay to get blogs like Engadget, theVerge, MacRumors, etc. to cover their apps and do write-ups such as this one. Unless I'm mistaken and blog authors just like to write about random weather apps once in a while out of the kindness of their hearts.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Wow.

I would normally refrain from posting about other Apps (bad form, you know?)

As an iPhone user though; this is a total joke. Realmac are treating their customers with no respect if they think they should pay another $2.99 ($4.99 normally) for some thinner text and a pretty lazy iPad layout.

Last time I buy anything from them. They treat their users like total suckers.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I got the Clear app free from Starbucks in May so I'm not too upset, other than the fact that I was saving up apps to use when I got my 5S.

Does it still work though? Like does t even open in iOS 7?

Anyway, what bothers me about Realmac is the fact that back in December, they announced that Hatch for iPhone app. It was supposed to be ready in the Spring, and now it's almost October.

Their response? Everytime someone posts asking or complaining about it, they have their mascot Hatchpet saying it'll be soon and they're having issues.

All the coverage that app got, and it's even looking like it won't even launch until Winter now.

Personally, I don't think it's ever going to launch. Or when it does, it's going to be so overlooked and get so pricey (like it hasn't become now) and just pull the plug.

But then you are talking about a company that does charge you for every upgrade of their web authoring tool. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.