Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rootyb

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2009
Gee, thanks, Apple. Because Mac users never use browsers other than Chrome.

*grumble, grumble*

----------

Ok, lets see who can reverse engineer this extension so it can work on a mac and fool apple's servers into accepting the bookmarks

Not possible (or not remotely easy), I think. :(

There's a very simple "supported OS" check in the extension. That's easy to disable. Unfortunately, though, the extension is running actual windows executable code, so someone will have to build and compile similar code for OSX. Since it's likely sending everything encrypted, I'm guessing this will be rather difficult.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Apparently, the Firefox extension also requires that the control panel is installed. Guess I can't use it after all.

Can't install software on my work computer.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Wait a minute...

The download site is 2.1.2. This story talks about 3.0.

Maybe that's why it isn't working with the Firefox plugin. I guess 2.1.2 is IE only.

The 3.0 site doesn't seem to be showing up for everyone, I assume because Apple's servers are having difficulties due to iOS 7.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Hmm, seems like bringing ice water to people in Hell, as Steve Jobs said (or something like that).

What's really messed up is that there's no SAFARI (that's right, Apple's own browser) extension for this, so Snow Leopard Macs can't make any use out of iCloud, but old Windows computers can! And if you're using Safari for Windows, you won't be able to use this, but hardly anyone uses Safari for Windows. I only use it in Boot Camp because it can't get infested by the common browser hijackers like Bing, Yahoo, Ask, Babylon, and Mixx, though it's pretty darn slow and ugly.

And the lack of an extension for Chrome for Mac could be annoying for some, but I don't see any reason to use Chrome on a Mac anyway unless your Safari is just broken or you really need some Chrome extension.

Last edited:

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Wait a minute...

The download site is 2.1.2. This story talks about 3.0.

Maybe that's why it isn't working with the Firefox plugin. I guess 2.1.2 is IE only.
I'm only able to download 2.1.2 as well.... hmmm?

The 3.0 site doesn't seem to be showing up for everyone, I assume because Apple's servers are having difficulties due to iOS 7.

Here is the correct link http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Makes very little sense to have it only for Windows, but then I thought.

They figure if you're on a Mac you should be using Safari, whereas they no longer support Safari for Windows.

dixido

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Why not support Chrome for Mac?

y-u-no.png

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Color me surprised!

Surprising indeed.... when Apple works on web browser extensions for non-Apple web browsers meant to operate on a non-Apple operating system (Windows).

But in the end I suppose Apple is thinking of the "bigger picture" here, which is to bolster the widespread use and cross-platform acceptance of iCloud.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I ran Apple Software Update on my PC this morning. It picked up the new iCloud Control Panel and the new option to sync iCloud bookmarks with IE/Firefox/Chrome.

Choosing the 'Chrome' option in the iCloud Control Panel, a dialog pops up inviting you to install a necessary Chrome extension.

Once that was done, a moment or two later, all my iCloud and Chrome bookmarks were merged. There were a fair number of duplicate bookmarks in both systems, which was no great surprise. These are easily tidied up (on any of your devices).

NB, I'm not sure if this is a new iOS7 feature or not, but in iOS7 Safari, adding bookmarks to the 'Favourites' section gives you a lovely 'home page' when you start Safari or open a new tab. These links appear along the top of the WIndows Chrome browser.

naborneo

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
Finally got 3.0 on the Windows machine.

It's a bit of a workaround, but I live in an almost all Mac enviroment at home and work, but I have one PC as my media center. So with Firefox sync, since my bookmarks are synced from my mac to my HTPC, they are now also synced with my phone since the extension is on their. seems a little over kill for not just having the extension on mac, but it does work... Now what to do about the upcoming keychain update with my lastpass account...hmmm

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
And yet no love or support for their own Snow Leopard... :-(
It's this sort of thing that is pushing me away from Macs. All of my personal machines are now running Windows 8.1, though the family still gets Macs because it's what they're used to, and I don't want to teach them a new OS. (even though they mostly live inside Firefox and Mail)

Why would there be? Snow Leopard is over 4 years old and no longer supported for anything except critical flaws.
There are plenty of Macs out there which can only run Snow Leopard, that are still perfectly usable today. I just recently overhauled a 7 year old MacBook, and it is surprisingly quick with 4GB RAM and a 1TB SSHD in it.

You might be the only one. It was always terribly laggy and crashed constantly for me on PC. :(
Safari 5 was mostly OK when it was released, but trying to use it today is not a fun experience. It's very slow, and prone to crashing. It did get you OS X-style font rendering on Windows (useful as a web developer) and of course bookmark syncing until now. Internet Explorer syncing was not well implemented, and who used Internet Explorer back then?
IE is actually a pretty good browser now though; secure, stable, and fast. And it offers the same benefit that Chrome does on OS X - a way to use Flash without installing Flash.

Still, no update to Safari means no tab syncing, which is also making me consider a move away from iOS now too.

Apple likes the idea of keeping you inside their walled garden, but all it's done is push me away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.