Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark Phoenix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
So I am relatively new to this site so please forgive me if this has already been answered. I currently have a Mac Pro 1,1 2x2.66 processor. Now that their are 12 cores out there, I was thinking I could upgrade my processors to maybe 2x4 core or even 2x6 core. Just not certain as to how or what to get... HELP! :confused:

Please advise if this is even possible and what to do...

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
So I am relatively new to this site so please forgive me if this has already been answered. I currently have a Mac Pro 1,1 2x2.66 processor. Now that their are 12 cores out there, I was thinking I could upgrade my processors to maybe 2x4 core or even 2x6 core. Just not certain as to how or what to get... HELP! :confused:

Please advise if this is even possible and what to do...

If your machine is the Ist gen 2006, I think there are no 12 core processors compatible to that model unless I am mistaken. The 12 core CPUs start at the Xeon 5600 series and higher models. Your logicboard also has a different spec and may not accomodate certain CPUs. Sorry if my inputs are not on a positive note.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Masonic is correct. Both the the 1,1 and 2,1 Mac Pro utilize Woodcrest or Clovertown CPUs which have an LGA-771 socket. The 5500 and 5600 series Xeon CPUs which fit in the 4,1 and 5,1 machines utilize a later CPU design that utilize the LGA-1366 socket.

Lou

sphoenix77

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Hi Dark Phoenix. Welcome. This forum is a treasure trove of info for these sorts of projects.

I did this upgrade last year, and found the thread below contained all the info you need. Very informative.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/745426/

Wow! Tons of information. I got dizzy reading it. LOL! The video is great and I already bought the parts to turn my Mac Pro 1,1 from a 2x 2.66 Dual Core to a 2x 3.0 Quad core!

However, it brings up other questions. I read that most things are going 64 bit and the Mac Pro 1,1 runs 32 bit and may become obsolete? Is there a firmware update to make it 64 bit? Please advise.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Wow! Tons of information. I got dizzy reading it. LOL! The video is great and I already bought the parts to turn my Mac Pro 1,1 from a 2x 2.66 Dual Core to a 2x 3.0 Quad core!

However, it brings up other questions. I read that most things are going 64 bit and the Mac Pro 1,1 runs 32 bit and may become obsolete? Is there a firmware update to make it 64 bit? Please advise.

you cant make it 64 bit, although technically it is. Apple never bothered to update firmware for these old Mac Pros.

but you can easily install new version of OS by tricking the installer. I believe the tool is called Multibeast - it will treat your computer as another PC but it will let you install the newest OS versions. personally, I'd go for it, you can always revert back.

Dark Phoenix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
you cant make it 64 bit, although technically it is. Apple never bothered to update firmware for these old Mac Pros.

but you can easily install new version of OS by tricking the installer. I believe the tool is called Multibeast - it will treat your computer as another PC but it will let you install the newest OS versions. personally, I'd go for it, you can always revert back.

Thanks for the information. I looked up Multibeast and found this:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/02/multibeast-ultimate-post-installation.html

Is this the program? I'm very curious about how it would trick an installer and how it would be needed. I'm running 10.7.5 on my desktop. Would 10.8 or 10.9 require Multibeast to install on my computer?

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Thanks for the information. I looked up Multibeast and found this:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/02/multibeast-ultimate-post-installation.html

Is this the program? I'm very curious about how it would trick an installer and how it would be needed. I'm running 10.7.5 on my desktop. Would 10.8 or 10.9 require Multibeast to install on my computer?

ok it was either this or Chimera/Chameleon bootloader. I never used it and never built mackintosh but I know people use this process to load newest OSes on old Mac Pro's. Someone around here should give you more info.

Check this: http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.