Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revenent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Owners of the above model, you have been warned.

Mine is slow.

Hard reset and installed iOS 7 as a new phone with nothing installed.

No music, no apps no movies whatsoever.

Scrolling in wallpapers settings has a lot of lag.

On my iphone 4S, there is no issue at all though.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
one of my test devices is an iphone 4, bare bones, no apps installed. its not as fast as my iphone 5, but it sure as hell isnt laggy and slow by any means.

and my wife has been using beta ios 7 on her iphone 4 since beta 5 as her everyday device and says it works fine for her.

so i think its different for different people. some will be slow and others just fine.

St8kout

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Owners of the above model, you have been warned.

Mine is slow.

Hard reset and installed iOS 7 as a new phone with nothing installed.

No music, no apps no movies whatsoever.

Scrolling in wallpapers settings has a lot of lag.

On my iphone 4S, there is no issue at all though.

Yeah, same here. More sluggish than with IOS6. Not going to put it on my ipad/iphone5 until they improve it.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
one of my test devices is an iphone 4, bare bones, no apps installed..... but it sure as hell isnt laggy and slow by any means.

I have iPhone 4 and iOS 6.* and it lags a lot already. Specially when the camera is open in background. When they designed iOS 7 I doubt iPhone 4 users happiness was high on the agenda list. I may pass that for now.

pappus

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013
Thanks for posting.I think i will hold off from updating my iphone 4. Let's hope 7.x.x will fix some issues...

Donki

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
I'm happily surprised about how good it is, very usable and still looks pretty good considering a few bits and pieces have been left off the iPhone 4 version. Was actually considering getting the new phone but ISO7 has made me stick with it for another year.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
I just updated. It is a little more slow to open some apps. That's it! Very impressed by my 3 year old iphone. :)

Eresin

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I too am experiencing lag with my iPhone 4, especially with typing, but I do also notice it when opening apps and moving between folders etc.
I am just putting it down to the fact the iPhone 4 is the oldest model to support the iOS. I'm guessing the next iOS won't support iPhone 4 and it'll be time for an upgrade.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
I am also experiencing the same issue. Very slow and sluggish on on my iphone 4. Everything feels two steps behind.

Its also a tad slow on my ipad 2, but nothing like my iphone.

While I plan on buying a 5s, i hope they fix it as I plan on keeping my old phone.

Positive - safari is super fast now on the ipad.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Stop complaining. Your 3 year old phone just got iOS 7. How many 3 year old Android phones have 4.3?

WTF is complaining? OP is putting out information that ip4 owners can use to decide to upgrade. I also have a fairly slow/laggy ip4 on ios7, although so far it seems faster than ios6.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
WTF is complaining? OP is putting out information that ip4 owners can use to decide to upgrade. I also have a fairly slow/laggy ip4 on ios7, although so far it seems faster than ios6.

exactly. I would imagine if Apple didn't want people to update with previous generations iphones, they would have stated this OS doesn't work with your phone. Just as they do with older mac pro's and the newer OSX.

I sure hope they tested this with iphone 4 and are aware how slow it is but plan on fixing it ASAP. I want to downgrade my ios. I assume that isn't possible

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
exactly. I would imagine if Apple didn't want people to update with previous generations iphones, they would have stated this OS doesn't work with your phone. Just as they do with older mac pro's and the newer OSX.

I sure hope they tested this with iphone 4 and are aware how slow it is but plan on fixing it ASAP. I want to downgrade my ios. I assume that isn't possible

It is possible, download the ios 6.1.3 ipsw and restore

chocolates

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Here's a good article u guys might find helpful

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/new-lease-on-life-or-death-sentence-ios-7-on-the-iphone-4/

Stef4n

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
I updated my Iphone 4 and I can't see that big difference. It is maybe slightly slower, yes, but I like most of the new features.

In generel I like the design, but the new apple icons look crappy. People will talk about the "champaign" or golden Iphone 5s + the new Apple icons in the future like: "Haha, crappy "teenes design" (2010-2019)" :)

Edit: Just made some comparisons with an updated and non-updated phone for phone, since my friend didn't update yet.

Mine with iOS 7 is slower and more laggy in exactly everything, we've tried so far. Especially booting takes by far longer.

Last edited:

hrl

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Pacific Northwest
My iPhone 4 w/ iOS 7 works pretty much the same as w/ iOS 6. There were lags after the install but after a few hours, it's getting much closer to the performance I got with iOS 6. So far, I'm very happy with iOS 7. The boot time and shut down are considerably faster than w/ iOS6.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It is possible, download the ios 6.1.3 ipsw and restore

Have you guys found 7 to be slower than 6? So far 7 seems a hair faster than 6 for me on a ip4, at worst they seem about the same. I really like the control center and new notification center, but I despise the atrocious white on white scheme, I can't make anything out on it.

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Have you guys found 7 to be slower than 6? So far 7 seems a hair faster than 6 for me on a ip4, at worst they seem about the same. I really like the control center and new notification center, but I despise the atrocious white on white scheme, I can't make anything out on it.

Well tbh with you i decided to put ios 7 back on it and im cool with all the animation stuff, that was my only issue to downgrade but now i kind of decided im going to keep iOS 7 and hope for some future update improvements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.