Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began offering refurbished units of its mid-2013 11-inch MacBook Air models in its online store. The move comes a little over three months after they were announced in June, and both stock configurations are currently available. The current 13-inch MacBook Air has yet to appear in Apple's store for refurbished products.

macbook11refurb.png

Both models include Intel's Haswell processors and "all-day" battery life along with 4GB of RAM, and are offered at a 15% discount off of Apple's prices for brand-new units. The 128GB model is available for $849, a $150 discount from the standard price of $999, while the 256GB model is available for $1,019, a $180 discount from the standard $1,199 price.

Apple's refurbished units come equipped with the same one-year warranty that brand-new products carry and have been thoroughly tested for reliability. The units also come with brand-new batteries and outer shells.

Article Link: Refurbished Mid-2013 11-Inch MacBook Airs Now Available in Apple Online Store

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
What do you think happens to the 8GB models that are returned? Why don't they show up in the refurb store? They surely are returned.

They do show up on the refurb store, but often in configurations with upgraded storage as well.

For instance:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0NB0LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-20ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5
or
http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0ND2LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-20ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i7

Since storage is replacable on MacBook Airs, Apple possibly swap parts to make new combinations they see as more "balanced" than what the customers originally had before reselling them as refurbs.

That would be weird however, since you'd expect the number of returns for each hardware configuration to be pretty representative of customer demand.

Maybe they want to simplify the number of different hardware combinations for refurbs in order to simplify logistics, or it's just a typical case of Apple reducing options for the heck of it to make things simple and reduce analysis paralysis.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
What do you think happens to the 8GB models that are returned? Why don't they show up in the refurb store? They surely are returned.

I think it's probably because you have to BTO those models. All the ones sold in the stores are the more commonly returned ones.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
FWIW I and others have purchased "stock" refurbs only to receive a slightly upgraded BTO machine. So they probably just sell the 8 GB boxes as 4GB ones to lucky souls.

B

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
FWIW I and others have purchased "stock" refurbs only to receive a slightly upgraded BTO machine. So they probably just sell the 8 GB boxes as 4GB ones to lucky souls.

B

Yes. This has happened before. 4gb is great in these machines though. More than enough.

kustardking

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
New York
Yes. This has happened before. 4gb is great in these machines though. More than enough.

Less magically, by the way, 8GB machines show up all the time. And 4GB is not more than enough. It is the right amount for someone who thinks it is more than enough. Rather than dumbing it down, saying something such as "4GB is plenty for everyday use" is at least edumucational.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Interesting how the summaries don't list any details including release date. It's just "Refurbished 11.6-inch MacBook Air 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5", no mention of memory, storage, 2013, etc.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

B
That takes me back. The Refurbished Apple lottery. I am sure the 8 GB models will roll around. Closing on a 72 month old Macbook. I want a new one!

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Less magically, by the way, 8GB machines show up all the time. And 4GB is not more than enough. It is the right amount for someone who thinks it is more than enough. Rather than dumbing it down, saying something such as "4GB is plenty for everyday use" is at least edumucational.

4gb is enough for this laptop. Sometimes if you order the 4gb version, you get an 8gb version. I have witnessed this, as well as another user that posted in this thread. Not sure what "edumucation" has to do with anything I wrote.

As a caveat, if I just completely missed an attempt that you were making to be funny or smart, my bad. Here is a "Haha", and a "you are really smart, bro/girl!".

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Most apple stores sell the ultimate airs as well, 512GB/8GB/i7. Of course, those ultimate models sell far fewer than the standard models. Furthermore, I think most buyers of the ultimate models are more serious about what they want, and thus, less likely to end up returning their purchases. Lower purchase numbers + lower return rate equals much fewer refurbs out there.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Ohh, crap. I just bought a 2012 Air from the Apple refurb page last week. I think I'm going to spring for an extra $50 and return mine to get the 2013 with the better battery life.

kustardking

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
New York
4gb is enough for this laptop. Sometimes if you order the 4gb version, you get an 8gb version. I have witnessed this, as well as another user that posted in this thread. Not sure what "edumucation" has to do with anything I wrote.

As a caveat, if I just completely missed an attempt that you were making to be funny or smart, my bad. Here is a "Haha", and a "you are really smart, bro/girl!".

If it's enough, why do they sell an 8GB version?

And, well, for you here is an, "alas", and, "sorry bro/sis, but you are really not so smart", if you can't infer my edumucate comment.

kcardella

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
There were several 13" this morning. I snagged an i7, 8GB ram, and 512GB drive for $280 off! Can't wait to get it! I was sitting on the fence about this model, waiting for the MBP upgrade, but just couldn't pass up this deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.