Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Australian iPhone repair firm iExperts has already gotten its hands on the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c models (via TUAW), working to perform teardowns of the two devices to examine their internals. While the company has yet to start digging into the chips on the main logic board, it has been able to reveal a few details about the devices.

iphone_5_5s_5c_open.jpg
Left to right: iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c
Unsurprisingly, the internal layouts of the new devices are consistent with that seen in leaked part photos and generally in line with that of the iPhone 5. Battery capacities have increased from 5.45 Whr in the iPhone 5 to 5.92 Whr in the iPhone 5s and 5.73 Whr in the iPhone 5c. That iPhone 5s number is slightly different than what appeared in regulatory documents last week but is consistent with what we saw on a December 2012 prototype, albeit with a newer part number on the battery.

A direct comparison of the logic boards from the three devices also shows how Apple has slightly narrowed the boards on the new devices compared to the iPhone 5, making room for a slightly larger battery.

iphone_5_5s_5c_logic_boards.jpg
Left to right: iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c
Other tidbits discovered during the teardown include a metal clip holding in the new cable providing a connection for the Touch ID sensor in the home button, as well as a new coating on the power button believed to be designed to increase durability.

iphone_5s_touch_id_flex.jpg
iPhone 5s home button flex cable with integrated Touch ID sensor
More information from the new iPhones is undoubtedly forthcoming, with the teardown experts at iFixit also drawing upon their own extensive experience to delve into the details on the various components.

Article Link: First iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c Teardowns Show Touch ID Home Button, Nearly Identical Internal Layouts

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
A bit rushed?

Not exactly the quality of photos and info we are used to seeing from iFixit . Neat to see the items, but looking forward to the detail reviews and info that iFixit can gather for us!

guerro

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Parts Unknown
So the home button is made of sapphire AND has a coating? I thought the fact it was made of Sapphire gave it its durability?

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Any word how much RAM the 5S has?

1gb, same as 5. (source: anandtech)

Several of the reviews have said it has 1GB of ram

Which, let's all say it together, just sucks for what's supposed to be a top of the line smartphone. It may run fine this year, but I imagine it will have a shorter lifespan than most.

They really needed to boost the RAM this time around.

delonh92

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Liverpool NY
Which, let's all say it together, just sucks for what's supposed to be a top of the line smartphone. It may run fine this year, but I imagine it will have a shorter lifespan than most.

They said they don't want to cram stuff in for the sake of it.

TheKDub

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
wow, all the leaks were dead on right!

haha, are you surprised? i'm guessing as much as they talk about "doubling up on security", it's going to be very hard because they're trying to build so many phones.

To be honest, if I had to choose between a) no leaks at all but having to wait several months after the announcement to buy the product after the keynote (ie. the original iphone), or b) completely leaked, no surprises at all but next day/next week availability - i'd choose B any day.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
They said they don't want to cram stuff in for the sake of it.

I agree. Looking at past products and their ability to run newer/more demanding software, I'd venture it will take at least two newer generations to be launched before the current specs can't handle newer apps with the same aplomb.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009

While I don't disagree Anand also includes the line "From a CPU and GPU standpoint, the 5s is probably the most futureproof of any iPhone ever launched" in his final words, which is a plus.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

There is no reason for more RAM. I imagine that the iPhone 6 will have 1G too, but the 6s will probably jump...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.