Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I have a Nexus 7 with Android 4.3. Until now that has the only Android UI I know of (status bar on top, back/home/multitasking buttons on bottom, and so forth).

Today I used an Asus Transformer running Android 4.0 (ICS). It has the older tablet UI that I didn't see before -- only one bar on the bottom.

And I actually kind of like it.

Any 'historians' here who know why Google abandoned this UI for tablets?

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I have a Nexus 7 with Android 4.3. Until now that has the only Android UI I know of (status bar on top, back/home/multitasking buttons on bottom, and so forth).

Today I used an Asus Transformer running Android 4.0 (ICS). It has the older tablet UI that I didn't see before -- only one bar on the bottom.

And I actually kind of like it.

Any 'historians' here who know why Google abandoned this UI for tablets?

Download a 3rd party launcher and switch your nexus 7 to the classic tablet ui. Its possible. I think apex works better on the nexus 7 than nova did for me afaik. I gave my nexus to my younger brother when I got my GS4 since the screen size was so close.

http://nexus7.wonderhowto.com/how-t...blet-ui-your-nexus-7-without-rooting-0148415/

Last edited:

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Download a 3rd party launcher and switch your nexus 7 to the classic tablet ui. Its possible. I think apex works better on the nexus 7 than nova did for me afaik. I gave my nexus to my younger brother when I got my GS4 since the screen size was so close.

http://nexus7.wonderhowto.com/how-t...blet-ui-your-nexus-7-without-rooting-0148415/

That's the modern (Jelly Bean) tablet UI.

I'm talking about the one in Ice Cream Sandwich and Honeycomb.

Screenshot:
kindle_fire_android_4_0_3_ics_homescreen_2.png

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
That's the modern (Jelly Bean) tablet UI.

I'm talking about the one in Ice Cream Sandwich and Honeycomb.

Screenshot:
kindle_fire_android_4_0_3_ics_homescreen_2.png

I liked the old UI too. It was perfect for a tablet layout. Never understood why they changed to a phone layout on a tablet. I think the change was from 4.2.Previous versions had the tablet layout.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
I liked the old UI too. It was perfect for a tablet layout. Never understood why they changed to a phone layout on a tablet. I think the change was from 4.2.Previous versions had the tablet layout.

I loved the layout with Honeycomb and ICS. I hate the JB layout for anything larger than the Nexus 7 in portrait

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.