Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitmanjg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Durham, NC
My original plan was to get one after I get paid at the end of the month, but now I'm starting to worry that if I don't attempt to get one tomorrow, it will be a while before they are back in stock anywhere. Anyone have any idea of what stock might be like in a couple of weeks? How long might it be before I could just walk into the Verizon store and pick one up without an issue?

NOTE: I know any answers to this question are just speculation since no one knows how much stock different stores will receive. However, this is my first time getting the new model anywhere near the original launch date so if anyone has had experience with this situation with previous models I would appreciate the insight.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
For Apple stores, I'd expect to see a repeat of past ability to order online for in-store pickup each evening up to the point at which the stock received that day was exhausted. Any stock not so reserved (or perhaps a set-aside portion) would be available for sale beginning each morning.

Apple would presumably flow stock from China as soon as it's built, pushing it through the channel as quickly as possible.

As you said you understand, it'd be anyone's guess when daily demand falls below daily resupply and units are available throughout the day.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
Last year I didn't decide to buy the iphone 5 (verizon) until about a week after it had released. At that point online shipping dates were over a month away, so I had to play the 10PM nightly "reserve for store pickup" at the local Apple Stores (LA area).

Verizon phone stocks were so low it took several weeks of checking the system nightly before I was finally able to reserve a phone for pickup in Glendale. ATT stock was much higher in the LA region for whatever reason. .

I watched the nightly threads on MacRumors and other parts of the country had different levels of shortages, so it is all going to depend on where you are and what phone you are looking for.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
This is looking to be worse than the iPhone 5 launch. Preorders haven't even started yet and some of the carriers are already saying 7-10 days for the first batch of shipments.

whitmanjg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Durham, NC
hmm ok thanks you guys for the help. it sounds like i might be better off trying to get my phone sooner rather than later. ugh

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
I'll echo what the 1st 2 responses said-go online at 10pm to the Apple site and reserve a 5s if it is available at a nearby store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.