Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two controller makers are teasing MFi "Made for iPhone" game controllers following the public release of iOS 7. The new OS includes special APIs for third-party hardware game controllers, turning the iPhone and iPad into gaming systems on par with other handheld consoles.

ClamCase has published a trailer for its GameCase iPhone controller, which connects via Bluetooth, includes its own battery, and supports all iOS 7-compatible iOS devices.

At the same time, Logitech is teasing its new hardware controller on its Facebook page. The position of the hands strongly suggests the leaked iPhone enclosure controller that surfaced from Logitech back in June.

NewImage8.png
Games designed specifically for iOS 7 will be able to tie into Apple's Game Controller framework, allowing for seamless connectivity to authorized third-party MFi devices.

Article Link: Logitech and ClamCase Teasing First Two 'MFi' Game Controllers

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
I can't tell from the video, but I hope there is room to feed the lightning cable so that you can charge while playing! This looks awesome! Now imagine this as your controller for games played on the AppleTV... Wii U what?

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I hope they leave the charger port available to charge the device while playing.

Edit: what that guy said ^^^^

Last edited:
At ****ing last! All we need now is the Apple TV to include gaming apps and support MFI and its goodbye Nintendo! Nintendo really needs to start thinking about putting their games on the App Store or very very quickly they are gonna get left behind. For reference look what happened to Sega....and how quickly they made a **** ton of money launching Sonic on iOS. Resistance is futile Nintendo!:D

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
I'm not much of an iOS gamer, but this is interesting and long overdue. I suspect that these sorts of controllers will become incredibly useful when Apple pulls their head out of their asses with respect to the Apple TV and opens it up to 3rd party developers.

If Apple were at all competent at making user interface devices, I'd wish for them to make their own 1st party controllers, but we've all seen how it ends up when they produce things like mice, for instance.
(To be fair, they do make great keyboards and trackpads, but I doubt they'd make a good game controller).

I can't wait to see some reviews of these puppies.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
"Games designed specifically for iOS 7 will be able to tie into Apple's Game Controller framework"

IOW: Even More Fragmentation...

owensd

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2007
"Games designed specifically for iOS 7 will be able to tie into Apple's Game Controller framework"

IOW: Even More Fragmentation...

How so? iOS games must support a touch interface, but now there is an official API for all controllers to implement against.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
At ****ing last! All we need now is the Apple TV to include gaming apps and support MFI and its goodbye Nintendo! Nintendo really needs to start thinking about putting their games on the App Store or very very quickly they are gonna get left behind. For reference look what happened to Sega....and how quickly they made a **** ton of money launching Sonic on iOS. Resistance is futile Nintendo!:D

I think MFI controllers + Dual Screen AirPlay can make this happen already. Take a look at http://www.apple.com/appletv/airplay/.

iabacus

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Hawaii
I'd rather just have a regular controller to use with an iPad. Is that too much to ask?

This!!! An ipad with 10 hour battery life and an xbox type controller would be awesome. I remember lugging my nintendo to friends houses when I was a kid. This would be amazing for multiplayer games.

With the new A7X (I imagine) in the Ipad 5 we could great gaming experiences. This could be a game changer! (pun?)

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Ahhh. One of the final nails in Nintendo's coffin after their Wii U debacle.

Nintendo is profitable with its current line of 3DS/DS handhelds, and the Wii was the most successful and profitable of all the last-generation consoles.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
I was hoping Apple would release their own. Not because I think it would be the best. Rather, so that they create a standardized button configuration and we are not stuck with button 1, button 2, button 3, etc during setup like pre-XBox 360 controller for PC.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wow that looks huge. How the hell will that thing fit in your pocket? I guess this is something you will attach when your home and ready to play a game. I couldn't see having this attached 24/7. When I'm home I prefer to use the TV anyway if I want to game.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I was hoping Apple would release their own. Not because I think it would be the best. Rather, so that they create a standardized button configuration and we are not stuck with button 1, button 2, button 3, etc during setup like pre-XBox 360 controller for PC.

I believe the guidelines for these controllers actually take that into account- there are some standards in terms of the controls on the device so it doesn't become a mess to configure and support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.