Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fungus123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
I have a jailbreak question, but it pertains to my ipad, but ipad threads dont seem to have a jailbreak section, but my question leans more towards a jailbreak question, as opposed to the ipad. Basically, i want to know if this idea would work. i want to have my music on my ipad, but not actually take up space on it. i want to put it on an sd card. using the camera connection kit. i know ifile can handle this task, but i would like to have the more legit music app to manage music. i know itunes does some funny stuff when importing, and basically makes randomize file names for your music. my question is, if i import all the music i want to my ipad, then use disk aid or any file browsing program to copy the music from the itunes_control folder to the sd card, keeping the same file structure, then erasing the contents off the ipad, then linking a short cut of the very same files you just deleted, from the sd card back to itunes_control folder on the ipad. will it make the ipad think the music is still there? i want to utilize playlist and such, and i dont think ifile lets you do that.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Try this.

Do exactly what you suggested, move all the folders onto the sd card, keep exactly the same file structure etc.

Then at the same location that the folder was previously (I would recommend the highest level of itunes_ whatever to ensure you get your playlists).

In ifile select edit
-> bottom right click the +
-> under name, the EXACT same name as the folder, capitals and everything
-> under type, click "symbolic link"
-> then "link target" select that folder on your SD card

save and reboot. If this doesnt work, then copy it all back because I dont know what I am talking about.

fungus123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
cool, ill try that. i havent had a chance to try it yet, but am curious to. so i will give it a shot, report m findings here. hopefully it works. makes jailbreaking that much more useful if it does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.