Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Does anyone know the limit of how many you can buy unlocked? I would like to get three for my family.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Does anyone know the limit of how many you can buy unlocked? I would like to get three for my family.

its been all but confirmed there will be no unlocked ones available on launch day unless you buy a Verizon one full price. However, nobody knows if Apple will simply let you buy a iPhone without activating/transferring service or not.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
I'm on the tmobile $30 contract free prepaid sim activated on my unlocked iphone 4s. Will I be able to buy a t-mobile phone 5s online at 12am I saw it on the website earlier today but some people are saying no.

SoSquidTaste

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
I'm on the tmobile $30 contract free prepaid sim activated on my unlocked iphone 4s. Will I be able to buy a t-mobile phone 5s online at 12am I saw it on the website earlier today but some people are saying no.

Yes, there will be a T-Mobile compatible iPhone 5S for sale.

What is NOT clear is whether it will be carrier unlocked by default. All signs seem to point to NO, it will still be locked to T-Mobile.

But a 5S compatible with T-Mobile will be available at midnight, barring some sort of unforeseen catastrophe.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
By the time it's back up you won't have time to read descriptions. You're either going to have only enough time to click click buy, or read descriptions and see "shipping in 5 weeks"

This make me lmao so hard right now! :D nobody got time for that just express check out then you done. After your order goes thru just go back and read then you can always cancel it.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Yes, there will be a T-Mobile compatible iPhone 5S for sale.

What is NOT clear is whether it will be carrier unlocked by default. All signs seem to point to NO, it will still be locked to T-Mobile.

But a 5S compatible with T-Mobile will be available at midnight, barring some sort of unforeseen catastrophe.

Will I be able to order 2?

sjshaw

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2004
Just bought the T-Mobile. The description on my invoice:

"iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray (GSM) T-Mobile, Unlocked"

kvnfo

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Just bought the T-Mobile. The description on my invoice:

"iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray (GSM) T-Mobile, Unlocked"

Can you post the link? I can't find it on their site.

nvm. I thought you were speaking about the t-mobile site.

Dawgy

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Can you post the link? I can't find it on their site.

YovRRLj.png

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
Also just put in an order for a T-mobile 5S. My order also said 't-mobile Unlocked" like the posts above.

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Cool so it has the same "bands" or whatever. Basically If I got an AT&T unlocked 5S and a Tmobile unlocked 5S they are identical?

Yes.

You'll just need to ask AT&T for a nano sim for your iPhone assuming you already have a data plan set up with them.

pdawg17

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
I'm trying to order one from T-Mobile's site but it's trying to add $10/month for "add a line charge" even though I said I was upgrading a line...

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Just ordered my T-Mobile one. Order says T-Mobile GSM Unlocked

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Tadow

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Just ordered my T-Mobile one. Order says T-Mobile GSM Unlocked

I got the same message in my email confirmation but when I clicked on the order# and was taken to the apple page it says:

Qty: 1
iPhone 5s 64GB Silver (GSM) T-Mobile

The "Unlocked" description is not coming up.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
I also see the same as you on the order page:
iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray (GSM) T-Mobile

However, when the unlocked iPhone 5 came out, the prices were identical ($649, $749, $849):
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-unlocked-u-s-pricing-649-16gb-749-32gb-and-849-64gb/

Not sure why they ship with a T-Mobile SIM though other than to help some people who maybe accidentally order the unlocked and just want to get their phone working? From Apple's perspective, if they sold it SIM free, maybe it would cause more problems (more calls to Apple?) vs. including a SIM?

Also as answered in other threads the AT&T and T-Mobile version are exactly the same A1533 GSM and support LTE on networks:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

kevintech

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
talked to apple customer service, and that rep was sure that t-mobile is the ONLY US carrier it'll work for. but it's unlocked for the rest of the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.