Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Yes. Take it back! Wait for the 5S.

Well, the sad part is, he can return the iPhone 5 he just got, but he won't be able to get his 4S back.

As for selling your old iPhone:
You can always get more money from Ebay for selling your old device, but it comes with a risk. I sold my 3GS to a guy in Venezuela, and at some point, the package was stolen and it was never delivered. I had to refund the buyer. If you sell your iPhone on eBay, GET SHIPPING INSURANCE. I still smack myself everyday.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
Am I wrong to think that this would have no bearing on iPhone 4s that have been carrier locked by a carrier and are therefore effectively bricked? (Cannot be used as a phone with any other carrier, ever.)

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Really? There is no logic here.

There are only two outcomes on September 10th. (which is only 10 days from now). And neither of them result in you having made a good decision.

1. The 5s is way the heck better than the 5. You could have chillaxed and got it at no extra cost.

2. The 5s isn't that great and for some some oddball reason you would prefer the 5. You could have just chillaxed a couple weeks and saved a $100.

You're within your return period. Take that sucker back

1) iphone 5 will be discontinued after the release of iphone 5C (otherwise, no one would bother to buy that cheap phone)

2)if i return the phone, i would get my money back and they will ask me to buy something else(bcoz that's the policy of this program), what am i supposed to buy?:confused:

----------

That's not the point. The iphone 5s doesn't need to be the best thing since apple pie. Logic 101 tells you that, because the 5s will be an upgraded model of the iphone 5 (and that's a fact, not an opinion), any person with their right mind would wait for the upgraded version instead of purchasing an iphone 5 today. What you did was like buying a brand new 2012 car when you could buy the 2013 model in a few days for the same price. Additionally, your new iphone 5 will be devaluated drastically as soon as the 5s comes out. And that's assuming you did not get in a contract with the carriers, because if you did, that would make your decision much worst. But to each their own, just saying.

hmmm.... i think i should return it...:(

darcspyd3r

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2013
Dang - well I guess I don't have to actually ship the phone. I'll just ignore the offer.

Never heard of NextWorth either - are they reputable? They are quoting 370 for my 5, which isn't bad at all, but I feel like I could get more on eBay anyways....

Probably will just go the eBay route with a $500 price tag - if it doesn't sell, I'll go through one of these sites.

Yeah, NextWorth handles all of the Target Store trade-ins here in the US. I've heard pretty good dealings with friends in the past, so I'd trust them over other "newer" trade sites.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yeah, NextWorth handles all of the Target Store trade-ins here in the US. I've heard pretty good dealings with friends in the past, so I'd trust them over other "newer" trade sites.

Luckily for me I was able to sell through eBay for $525 + $15 shipping. Shipped today and will have my money by the time the 5S is released!

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Depends on how one values there time though. Gazelle you basically put it in a box and drop off. CL you have to post a message, filter out the fakers, respond to interested parties, wait for or meet buyer, hope the buyer shows up. All that takes more than an hour cumulatively. Unless one works at the mall for $15/hr, $70 for more than a cumulative hours work isn't worth that hassle.

How one values THEIR time likely depends on ones spelling and grammar.

darcspyd3r

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2013
Luckily for me I was able to sell through eBay for $525 + $15 shipping. Shipped today and will have my money by the time the 5S is released!

Awesome man! I just didn't want to deal with going the eBay route.
All I was looking for was a way that I paid basically the sales tax for two new iPhone 5s's.

Now, September 10th\20th couldn't get here any quicker!

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013

Nextworth is definitely a large reputable company. I never used them but have heard from friends that they are good. I have used both gazelle and buybackworld and both paid fast and a very fair offer. It is best to stick to the reputable companies like gazelle, buybackworld, nextworth for cash or the Apple tradein program for credit towards a new phone. I will be comparison shopping around for the highest price. I don't like eBay due to scammers and the hassle of selling. Craigslist can be dangerous too!

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I just used the old recycling program (where you send in your device) to trade in my old iPhone 4. They gave me $151, which I find quite reasonable for a 16GB iPhone 4. The transaction was smooth and effortless on my end. You don't even have to package the phone, since they send you a voucher for Fedex return service including packaging. I just dropped the phone off at the nearest Fedex store and a week later received my giftcard by email. No Ebay listings, shipping, waiting for payment, dealing with shady buyers ... no muss, no fuss. :)

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
One thing of note is that the Apple mail-in program accepts water-damaged phones.
My wife's phone has the moisture sensors tripped but is in otherwise flawless condition.
Gazelle and the other buyback stores bury it in their terms that water-damaged phones will be refused or else re-evaluated as broken so no matter what they quote you -- that's not what you're going to get once they evaluate it.
The Apple program lets you disclaim right up front that the phone has water damage so there's no surprises later.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Dos anyone know how the new in-store trade-in program compares to the prices offered by Gazelle and Nextworth?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
So the gift card is only usable towards a new phone that is "on contract" meaning I can't use it to buy an unsubsidized unlocked phone? Am I understanding that correctly? If so, that's a bummer.

** a few minutes later **
Sorry...I found the answer. You can use it towards an unlocked unsubsidized device as long as it is activated to a carrier in store. Yay!

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
Today I will be testing a few different trade-in sites: Gazelle, BuyBackWorld, and NextWorth. I have collected a few different iPhones to sell to each company. I will report back my findings within the next few weeks.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
One thing of note is that the Apple mail-in program accepts water-damaged phones.
My wife's phone has the moisture sensors tripped but is in otherwise flawless condition.
Gazelle and the other buyback stores bury it in their terms that water-damaged phones will be refused or else re-evaluated as broken so no matter what they quote you -- that's not what you're going to get once they evaluate it.
The Apple program lets you disclaim right up front that the phone has water damage so there's no surprises later.

Update:
It took 6 days to receive my gift card after shipping my wife's phone.
And again, this was a phone where all of the moisture sensors had been tripped.
6-days -- no surprises -- received exactly what had been quoted.

:)

Now if only the Apple Store App would accept gift cards I'd be pretty well prepared for the 20th.
Without that I'm going to have to take my chances with the website.
:(

jertronic

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
What's the deal with utilizing this trade-in program for the 5s.

I have 4s in perfect condition and want the 5s. What can I expect to get for it?

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
What's the deal with utilizing this trade-in program for the 5s.

I have 4s in perfect condition and want the 5s. What can I expect to get for it?

My friend went to the Apple Store on fifth ave this morning and didnt even bother inquiring about the tradein program because it was absolute chaos in there. You're better off just selling your device for cash on websites like buybackworld or gazelle.

AppleIrony

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Do not Trust the Online Apple Trade-In Program

Apple's Online trade-in program is not reliable, it completely conflict on the value of used IPhone from the actual Apple store . My used Iphone 5 16 GB -BLACK was quoted $225 in apple store at Palo alto,CA and $200 on an ATT corporate store in Fremont. This incident is before 1-2 week of the launch.

However, the same Iphone when sent to Apple online trade-In program operated by Brightstar. It was initially quoted $225, Then readjusted to $62 without clear description on the problem. The fact is that the phone is 100% fully functional with no visual impairment. But, stating it had display issues was not justified clearly.
I have been an apple customer from last 5 years owning many products. Is this how a customer should be treated ??. Now, I would never be able to tradein my phone on the same price $225 since Iphone6 is launched.

Upon calling the online customer service, they said "we have no control on how the reused phone evaluation is done, we are only online support". I can accept that answer for some low level software or hardware. But, for apple its a major hit on their PR image. If they would like to outsource certain services its understandable, but having it operated by a company that does not stand at par with apple's standard is very disappointing.

I would hope Apple fix the online-trade program and execute them efficiently. Before it turns many loyal customer away and frustrated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.